Sign in to follow this  
Encephalon

Marijuana, strength training, nei kung

I smoked a lot of reefer as a teenager and it was almost exclusively a mental experience, since I was dreadfully out of shape and a chain-smoking alcoholic. Fast forward almost 30 years when I'm celebrating my midlife crisis by becoming a personal trainer in Los Angeles (for the Real reason of having the opportunity to work out constantly in preparation for the second half of my life). I gave the green stuff another ride and this time it's been almost exclusively physical; I cannot stand still. I'm in the best shape of my life with regard to strength training (lots of deadlifts, kettlebells, pistols a la Pavel mostly) and when I'm under the influence I am unquestionably stronger, more relaxed, and more flexible by at least 20%. I made use of this phenomenon throughout 2008, and then abstained for six weeks. As a weak-willed addictive personality, the fact that I could shut it down without any difficulty was a testament to the power of an 18-month nei kung practice (as taught by Master Chu in NY - "The Book of Nei Kung").

I had a "special" brownie on Friday and commenced my upper body workout. The experience repeated itself, with one particularly nice effect; the electrical pulsing throughout my extremities was up at least 20%. Just assuming a simple horse stance was deleriously pulsing, palpable, and envigorating.

All this begs the question (and I am a newcomer to this forum) -

Does marijuana relax you so much that chi flow becomes more palpable?

I am ambivalent about the use of MJ for many people, and I still recognize that I could get awfully used to having it around All The Time, but there seems to be plenty of evidentiary support that this molecule can benefit body/mind awareness. And I am ferociously angry that you have to accept the role of a second-class citizen to privately experiment with this material. The challenge is - and I've discussed this with several fellow trainers - to find that perfect dose that enables enhanced body/mind sensation without getting too high to focus on the internal environment. Getting baked in the gym is a recipe for total psychological confusion!

Edited by Blasto

weed is awesome haha

but ive quit a week ago because... it's EXTERNAL!!

i know exact what you're talking about when you mention the physical increase in strength, blasto! ive never tested the EXTENT of it though, i was always afraid i might injure my body since i can't particularly tell if i hurt my muscles or something!

anyway, i have a feeling that weed makes your chi rise a little which is why we feel so happy, at ease, more immune to pain, and that general giddiness :D

oh and not to mention the hunger!

the occasional negative effects of weed are due to the fact that we are doing this "unfairly"! we haven't CULTIVATED to this level and so basically our minds aren't ready for this arising of chi. this would be the reason for the intellectual dullness that we have--because we haven't gained mastery over ourselves (through a buildup of mindfulness, awareness, and concentration)

i can confirm this to be true because this past week, i've been meditating consistently and i felt a "high" feeling yesterday the whole day! probably 10% of the high that one feels form a bong rip but still clear evidence for me since this high feeling lasted for the whole day, making for a very enjoyable day! its still there as i write this and i feel that i've elevated my mental state somewhat! im curious to see what my practice will bring a few months from now!

i hate the fact that weed is illegal, too--its retarded on so many levels and i think everyone should try it some time in their life... it gives one a glimpse into what meditative experience could BE.

the fact that I could shut it down without any difficulty was a testament to the power of an 18-month nei kung practice

You may be experiencing some short term enhanced chi sensations as a result of MJ use. But i would be very interested to see if after 1 or 2 years of "experimentation" if you still are performing better and feeling better and if in fact you can really "shut it down" at will.

If that's true, then Michael Phelps should have his medals stripped!

2c7f9ccb5a39073L.jpg

Cuz now we know his real secret! Hitting the bong to increase lung capacity, relaxation and strength 20%!

You may be experiencing some short term enhanced chi sensations as a result of MJ use. But i would be very interested to see if after 1 or 2 years of "experimentation" if you still are performing better and feeling better and if in fact you can really "shut it down" at will.

5 element Tao --

good point, direct. There's no way I could continue another year or two as I did in 08. Too much brings you down - obliterates the yang, or so I've heard - and it's impossible to finish a master's thesis while chronically toked. Plus, as you imply correctly, will power goes out the window, especially for addictive personalities. The beauty and wonder of nei kung practice corrects for this, in my experience, as I have never possessed so much volition in my life as I do now.

Andrew Wiel suggested the best dosage is once a week, for inspiration, to shake out the cobwebs and to synthesize novel connections between your own personal subject matter. For my temperament, I think it prudent to eat a brownie once a month and leap into a yin vinyasa saturday afternoon. I can perform a 98% side split in this space, not bad for a 49 yr old.

So, where do we go from here? Condensing breathing? MIcrocosmic orbit? If anyone's got a proper training trajectory that's in chronological order it find it immensely helpful.

This kind of takes me back... in time a bit in many ways. Speaking from personal experience having "abilities" and then trying it a few times has given me some ideas of what this stuff does.

Yes, these are the results of marajuana use, yes the stats are in:

1. More Right Brain thinking- you feel things more, rather than think about them except for "thinkers" some of these will not see an effect. Over time, it impedes the function of the analytical Left Brain. This is the conclusion the ancient Daoists came up with.

2. More connection to energy, you can feel the energy more, can move more (since you can feel it ala "feelers")

3. Relaxation. People on pot score just a few points higher on tests even sat(s) or act(s). This is due to free movement of energy with this substance.

4. Increased Awareness - pot makes things fun for most people because it inhibits the "monkey mind" and increases activity in the brain in centers that deal with feeling and sensation which are directly connected with spirituality, energy work et cetera.

5. Higher sperm count

6. Since there are higher concentrations of compounds with pot and the smoke is held in for longer periods of time to be effective, lung capacity goes down as much as 10% in the first month. After that no other tests have been shown what percentage or fraction of a percent it goes down each month consecutively after that. So increase in lung capacity? no. Its already been medically documented.

Downsides? Downsides? Yes, Im getting there.

To tell you about the downsides we go back in time to the ancient Daoists known as the shamanic Wu...

The Daoist found this plant had those abilities and from time to time would burn a great portion under a tent like structure, with many present.

They also found that it creates certain conditions in the body, just like any other food or herb you take in tips the balance of the elements. This creates a condition they called "mind devils" which is a condition relating to the kidneys, heart and brain. It deals with the problem mentioned in #1, where you dont have any control over what state you are in and become stuck in this state. The results range to different things for different people meaning paranoid, fragmented consciousness, et cetera. The Daoists later advocated "adepthood" that is training over taking in pot for sublimation/enlightenment. Self control is better than well.. "minddevils".

References: Also another source of information on the real effects of Marajuana are in the Docu-Comedy "SuperHigh Me", be warned however the second half of the movie isnt as funny as the first half. Very informational.

Any information I provide here is information, not ment to be sensational and only for information purposes only. I do not condone smoking illegal substances. Due to the lack of facutal information out there, I hope this helps some people's curiosity on the subject, and gives the true nature of the plant rather than just hype.

Edited by TheWhiteRabbit

:lol: I passed cisco's CCNA exam in 15 minutes ;) Just barely though, after 2 intensive weeks of study. (as long as you dont count the 15 minutes it took me to complete the filling out of information...and oh god, 2x2+2 of the IP chart to write down from memory...router stuff was easy in comparison to simple math!)

not good for practice, and I certainly wouldnt recommend it for working out. even though it does relax you, it does give you a burst of dopamine and that inadvertently will raise your heart rate. or, not let it get low enough to *really* relax.

well, I just got a call that said "you should stop over here"....so I'm outskies :ph34r:

will be dropped at some point for sure...but I have other issues to worry about presently.

ha ha ha ha! :lol:

Thats great im glad to hear you passed it. :D

But seriously I hope people realize the balance between thinking and feeling when it comes to spirituality on this subject. It explains why for the most part there are more powerful women adepts/psychics than there are men. ha ha :lol:

The propaganda goes both ways...

There is no negative effect on the moter skills or the ability to experience pain

Total B.S. What kind of crappy weed do you smoke? I can't even count the number of times I fell, fainted, dropped things, broke things, crashed vehicles, etc... because of smoking weed back in the day. And today's weed is much more concentrated the stuff I smoked back in the '70's. It absolutely diminishes motor skills and reaction time

Mary Jane is not a hallucinogen and does not cause hallucinations.

B.S. again! I myself have hallunicanted numerous times on MJ way back in the day. Also Paranoia is a well know side effect of MJ. MJ absolutely alters one's ability to intepret objective reality...

Thats right kids its impossible to overdose

B.S a third time! I also OD'd on MJ a couple times as a kid Puked my guts out, heart beat out of control and unable to function for hours.

Let's stop kidding ourselves THC is a powerful chemical. It has its place especially in pain management. It IS valuable, but it NOT harmless...

Taken from the "Qi and Marijuana" Thread.

The Eternal student had this to say about the TCM perspective in another thread:

Marijuana flares the ming men fire out of its normal position.

The Ming Men fire resides behind and around your kidneys.

It is a false sense of awareness because the extra heat rises up the Du channel and gets into your head.

While there, it ups the amount of seratonin you produce, momentarily.

After long term use, you slowly drain the good feeling hormones from your brain and adrenals. Eventually leads to insomnia and depression without the drug. The addiction comes from the lack of stimulation on the adrenals, not receptors in your brain.

In terms of spiritual growth, it can give you a glimpse though the keyhole. That's all.

But it leaves you open and vulnerable because while the ming men fire is in your head, its not powering your wei chi, your defensive energy. Leaves you open to energetic, emotional, psychic and pathogenic influences.

The ultimate goal is to be able to alter your own hormone system without any external influence.

So I am capable of getting "high" by tweaking my own pituitary and pineal glands. Its way cheaper than relying on external sources, energetically and monetarily.

This isn't my opinion. It is reportedly from a Traditional Chinese Medicinal perspective...

Edited by fiveelementtao

I'm not for, nor against smoking weed... but, fiveelementtao, your reaction to weed is extreme and very unusual.

1.There is no negative effect on the moter skills or the ability to experience pain,unlike alcohol, so one can drive and still operate on par physically and coordinately.

Hahaha... that's hilarious, no effect on motor skills, haha...... man, I must have been smoking tea leaves or something else all those years ago when I couldn't move from the sofa to change the channel from a rather tedious episode of 'happy Days'..... haha, I suppose it doesn't also make you hungry either hahaha

Edit: ....Or stoned ahahaha

Edited by Ninpo-me-this-ninjutsu-me-that

I'm not for, nor against smoking weed... but, fiveelementtao, your reaction to weed is extreme and very unusual.

I had the same reactions at times. Especially after kundalini awakening. It was extreme for me, and unusual from all of my other friend's reactions.

MJ is a tool. Everyone's body consciousess/beliefs are different. You must find the correct dosage/frequency for your body through experimentation. Those that have conflicting beliefs about MJ, should probably just leave it alone.

I am finding out that vaporising a small amount once every 2-3 days works wonders for me. It keeps me inspired and on track to where I want to go.

My reaction IS strong, maybe even extreme. There are appropriate times for strong reactions. But unusual? My reaction is not against weed. I have no moral restrictions about it. I believe it should be legalized and people should have the freedom to smoke as much as they want. But I am clear about what weed IS. It's not a vitamin pill. Irt is not a magic staircase to God or enlightenment. It is not a magical fix all that will help cultivation. It is a powerful drug. It is toxic and has some pretty serious side effects. I personally think it is extreme and unusual to go to such lengths to distort facts about a very powerful and toxic drug and masquerade it as a health food supplement. That Post was irresponsible and possibly harmful to those honestly seeking methods to help their cultivation. I felt the need to call "B.S!"

My apologies to anyone who was hurt or offended.

• Like 1

Should I smoke dope? (personally I don't).

zurElIUyrdU

iy-RbXBgEYQ&feature=related

-GoDSj8e968&feature=related

qA_-zquyY1A&feature=related

rN3G94qnBPk&feature=related

x9J2N6_bl0A&feature=related

My reaction IS strong, maybe even extreme. There are appropriate times for strong reactions. But unusual? My reaction is not against weed. I have no moral restrictions about it. I believe it should be legalized and people should have the freedom to smoke as much as they want. But I am clear about what weed IS. It's not a vitamin pill. Irt is not a magic staircase to God or enlightenment. It is not a magical fix all that will help cultivation. It is a powerful drug. It is toxic and has some pretty serious side effects. I personally think it is extreme and unusual to go to such lengths to distort facts about a very powerful and toxic drug and masquerade it as a health food supplement. That Post was irresponsible and possibly harmful to those honestly seeking methods to help their cultivation. I felt the need to call "B.S!"

My apologies to anyone who was hurt or offended.

Just yesterday I listened to a radio interview by a woman who told the story (and now has started a foundation) of mj saving the life and sanity of her severely autistic son. The "munchies" that a recreational user might find a funny side effect did half the job -- the boy had been starving himself to death and weighed 38 pounds at age 10. Its calming effects did the other half of the job, by eliminating his violent self-destructive and dangerous-to-others impulses that were business as usual all his life, within hours. He was on 13 prescription meds, none of them working, by the time his mom gave him a brilliant doctor-prescribed mj brownie; he is down to 2 by now, and thriving. (THIS is the crucial fact behind mj illegalization: it is a frisky competitor with psychiatric and mood-altering pharmaceuticals, far superior to all of them for pretty much all purposes they are used for. "Destroy the competition with extreme prejudice" is the first law of the jungle we live in where pharmaceutical companies are the lion king.)

A few years ago, I've taken chemo-devastated cancer patients, prescription in hand, to a local mj dispensory, and this also meant the difference between life and death (did you know that 40% of people who die of cancer do not die of cancer, they die of starvation? another 40%, of multiple organs failure, often triggered by starvation? and only 20% of the disease itself?..) The dispensory, however, was being raided by the FDA on a fairly regular basis, even though the state law says it was operating legally. (God bless the highly spiritual -- you wouldn't guess he was a buddha from just looking -- and casually courageous Rasta guy who ran the facility and wouldn't be intimidated. He used to tell his very sick clients, "I am a law-abiding citizen. Show me a prescription and I'll get it for you. If they raid me every day, I'll get it for you. If they close me down, I'll get it for you. If they put me in jail, I'll still get it for you and that's a promise.'')

Oh, and personally, I didn't grow up in a recreational mj culture (alcohol was what my peer group was into instead, and half of my high school friends became alcoholics, and my high school boyfriend, who joined the club by his early twenties, is dead.) I react way too strongly to have a chance in hell to use it "recreationally." It causes me to communicate with the spirits of the Eight Directions, so I can only use it magically, or not at all. In magical taoism, as well as in Dragon Gate, as perhaps in other schools, as in Hindu and Buddhist traditions (sic -- read Rick Strassman's research), as of course in all of shamanic traditions of the world, sacred herbs have been used for millennia. Modern kids use them dumbly? What DON'T they use dumbly? Sex? Why don't we illegalize that while we're at it, it also dims the brain and wastes time and makes one lazy and distracted, and can cause severe side effects like unwanted pregnancy and STDs and what not?.. Oh, I forgot... sex doesn't happen to compete with pharmaceutical drugs. It happens to promote their use, the Pill and the Zovirax and what not. Big difference, obviously.

Oh, and as for using it for training -- depends on what you train in, it can help or hinder. It is not a drug, it is not dumb like that. It's an herbal medicine of considerable power, it works for or against you depending on who you are.

C'mon people... Let's stay on topic here. This thread is not about the pros and cons of the legitimate MEDICAL uses of MJ. That is a separate issue and you know it. let's not purposefully divert the issue.

Edited by fiveelementtao

fiveelementtao.

MJ was here well before Chinese Medicine. MJ is an expression of the Tao so why do you discount it so much?

MJ has been excellent for me in terms of energy cultivation and helpful in waking me up from the trance. If you can't handle that then that is too bad. I don't blindly follow any so called "master", I speak from my own experience. If you want to become your own master then you too will have to let go of everyting you are taught and rely on your own direct experience.

Edited by Nilo

Sign in to follow this