Stigweard

What practical things can we do to facilitate interfaith harmony?

If you said ALL governments don't work, and ALL governments are corrupt, then proceeded to spread misinformation to try and spread that same feeling; then yes, I would say you hate government. The fact of the matter is, the calls to destroy religion are just as oppressive as the claims as have been made against religion. There are millions of people in the world that WANT to carry on in blind faith. It helps them make it through the day, and countless horrible situations. Simply put, those that don't like religion shouldn't practice it. But that doesn't give them the right to try and ruin it for others.

What you are saying does not follow in any logical sense at all. "If you said ALL governments don't work, and ALL governments are corrupt, then proceeded to spread misinformation to try and spread that same feeling; then yes, I would say you hate government." One who is pointing out the corruption in a system does not necessarily hate that system. Think outside the box instead of your own absolute point of view.

Let me state some concrete examples that you may relate to. Perhaps you will see that any belief system may have a neg. impact on large populations.

1. Religious doctrines against birth control: Larger populations put greater demand on limited resources, increase the use of fossil fuels and add to waste, pollution and therefor climate change.

2. There is a religious movement in the U.S. to give rights of person hood to blastocysts, frozen or otherwise. It is their way to overturn Roe V. Wade. This would violate the rights to privacy of millions of women. It would also stop any attempt in using the frozen blastocysts in stem cell research. The emotional, irrational fundamentalists state that they don't want unborn children used in research. These frozen blastocysts are thrown out of the labs at some point in time anyway. Another example of fear being used as a control mechanism. Once again we have religion meddling in the affairs of state.

Five states have already started the legal process to pass this new law.

3. Islamic ruled governments: A very real problem for millions of people.

4. Israeli Kenesit: If a party wants power, it must do the bidding of the religious party. I believe they hold 2 or 3 swing seats.

These are just a few examples.

If one accepts your worldview, then one needs to tolerate all religious doctrine, even though it may be religious extremism? Is that what you mean? Even when society is impacted in a neg. way? Such as the above examples?

ralis

What you are saying does not follow in any logical sense at all. "If you said ALL governments don't work, and ALL governments are corrupt, then proceeded to spread misinformation to try and spread that same feeling; then yes, I would say you hate government." One who is pointing out the corruption in a system does not necessarily hate that system. Think outside the box instead of your own absolute point of view.

I see it has to be explained in simpler terms for you. I responded to his comment: "If I told you that I don't beleive that democracy works and that government is corrupt am I saying that I hate society? " In doing so, I gave example of the THREE things being done here that COMBINED show a hatred of religion. You haven't been merely pointing out corruption in religion, you also went so far as to call it all superstition, used only to opress by fear, etc etc. Try breaking out of your absolute point of view.

Let me state some concrete examples that you may relate to. Perhaps you will see that any belief system may have a neg. impact on large populations.

1. Religious doctrines against birth control: Larger populations put greater demand on limited resources, increase the use of fossil fuels and add to waste, pollution and therefor climate change.

2. There is a religious movement in the U.S. to give rights of person hood to blastocysts, frozen or otherwise. It is their way to overturn Roe V. Wade. This would violate the rights to privacy of millions of women. It would also stop any attempt in using the frozen blastocysts in stem cell research. The emotional, irrational fundamentalists state that they don't want unborn children used in research. These frozen blastocysts are thrown out of the labs at some point in time anyway. Another example of fear being used as a control mechanism. Once again we have religion meddling in the affairs of state.

Five states have already started the legal process to pass this new law.

3. Islamic ruled governments: A very real problem for millions of people.

4. Israeli Kenesit: If a party wants power, it must do the bidding of the religious party. I believe they hold 2 or 3 swing seats.

These are just a few examples.

If one accepts your worldview, then one needs to tolerate all religious doctrine, even though it may be religious extremism? Is that what you mean? Even when society is impacted in a neg. way? Such as the above examples?

ralis

1: Are you serious? You're trying to pin part of the blame for global warming on the Catholic birth control stance? I have no love for the Catholics, but that's just beyond far-fetched. If that was the case, we could just as easily blame the lack of morals that has permeated almost all of western society since the 60's, and the huge amounts of children born out of the now commonplace casual sex that people have since they no longer wait for marraige.

2: Now, I am no biologist, so I will not claim to know the technicalities of what you're speaking of. But, I will say you're full of crap on the next part. It will in no way violate the privacy of millions of women. The only thing violated when it comes to abortion, is the right to life of that unborn child. But please, try and explain how people not wanting those lives snuffed out is an example of fear as a control mechanism?

3: While I may not agree with the Islamic governments, I don't think you have the right to tell others how to govern. For all those millions that have a problem with it, there are millions that don't as well.

4: No clue. But, I do know that Israel was created as a JEWISH state. Thus it would be logical that religion would come to play in their politics.

Society is impacted in a positive and negative way by religion. Same with secularism as well. Neither one is perfect. The idea is to try and live the best life YOU can.

Edited by lostmonk

I see it has to be explained in simpler terms for you. I responded to his comment: "If I told you that I don't beleive that democracy works and that government is corrupt am I saying that I hate society? " In doing so, I gave example of the THREE things being done here that COMBINED show a hatred of religion. You haven't been merely pointing out corruption in religion, you also went so far as to call it all superstition, used only to opress by fear, etc etc. Try breaking out of your absolute point of view.

1: Are you serious? You're trying to pin part of the blame for global warming on the Catholic birth control stance? I have no love for the Catholics, but that's just beyond far-fetched. If that was the case, we could just as easily blame the lack of morals that has permeated almost all of western society since the 60's, and the huge amounts of children born out of the now commonplace casual sex that people have since they no longer wait for marraige.

2: Now, I am no biologist, so I will not claim to know the technicalities of what you're speaking of. But, I will say you're full of crap on the next part. It will in no way violate the privacy of millions of women. The only thing violated when it comes to abortion, is the right to life of that unborn child. But please, try and explain how people not wanting those lives snuffed out is an example of fear as a control mechanism?

3: While I may not agree with the Islamic governments, I don't think you have the right to tell others how to govern. For all those millions that have a problem with it, there are millions that don't as well.

4: No clue. But, I do know that Israel was created as a JEWISH state. Thus it would be logical that religion would come to play in their politics.

Society is impacted in a positive and negative way by religion. Same with secularism as well. Neither one is perfect. The idea is to try and live the best life YOU can.

I found a post made by you last year. I guess you forgot what you wrote.

I, like many people here I am sure, very much come here to learn from others. But honestly, I am starting to dread opening a lot of threads here. There is so much ridiculous bullshit going on, it's really getting out of hand. So please, I ask nicely, if you don't agree with something someone says, say so. But stop the attacks on the person. If you know you disagree with most things someone says, why not just stay out of those threads instead of disrupting things for others? I love this forum, but I don't come here to see so many people bashing others.

You attacked me personally on 2 occasions.

ralis

I found a post made by you last year. I guess you forgot what you wrote.

I, like many people here I am sure, very much come here to learn from others. But honestly, I am starting to dread opening a lot of threads here. There is so much ridiculous bullshit going on, it's really getting out of hand. So please, I ask nicely, if you don't agree with something someone says, say so. But stop the attacks on the person. If you know you disagree with most things someone says, why not just stay out of those threads instead of disrupting things for others? I love this forum, but I don't come here to see so many people bashing others.

You attacked me personally on 2 occasions.

ralis

Attacking your misinformation and downright lies isn't a personal attack. You keep talking about attacks and emotional responses and such, but you're the only one that seems to be getting hurt over this.

Not really.

In the environmental community, human population growth has now been unavoidably identified as a root cause to environmental destruction.

We support U.S. population stabilization purely for ecological reasons. This requires we reduce both birth rates and migration to the U.S. to sustainable levels. Unending population growth and increasing levels of consumption together are the root causes of the vast majority of our environmental problems, as is the case in many other countries.
And Hispanics are the fastest-growing group of all Americans - due to the highest birth rates now:
In July 2004, Hispanics numbered 41.3 million out of a national population of nearly 293.7 million. They have the fastest growth rate among the nation's major racial and ethnic groups. In the 1990s, they accounted for 40 percent of the country's population increase. From 2000 to 2004, that figure grew to 49 percent.
Now, 68% of Hispanics are Catholic, and 1/3 of US Catholics are Hispanic. So, you can say there's a link between Catholicism and higher birth rates - and thus environmental damage.

Therefore, I don't think it's a stretch to say that Catholicism ultimately has an environmental impact due to its traditional self-propagating stance against BC and for large families.

Edited by vortex

Attacking your misinformation and downright lies isn't a personal attack. You keep talking about attacks and emotional responses and such, but you're the only one that seems to be getting hurt over this.

When in a recent post, you said I needed therapy. That is a personal attack! Once again, are you a licensed therapist and qualified to make a clinical diagnosis?

ralis

The title of this thread is:

"What practical things can we do to facilitate interfaith harmony?"

and not

"How long can we continue squabbling when everyone has repeated their point of view with mind numbing frequency."

I assume that Stig meant 'faith' in the broadest possible terms which would include what we do. In which case the question could be - 'how can we facilitate harmony even when we disagree'.

As Taoists (or whatever we each choose to call ourselves) we have an opportunity to work to on harmony and the balance and reconciliation of 'opposites', like yin and yang perhaps.

We could facilitate interfaith harmony by defining those things/ideas which we hold in common. I realize this seems very liberal and wishy-washy but I am simply trying to answer the question.

We could facilitate interfaith harmony by defining those things/ideas which we hold in common. I realize this seems very liberal and wishy-washy but I am simply trying to answer the question.

Not wishy washy at all. It seems to be the only common sense approach, IMO.

I assume that Stig meant 'faith' in the broadest possible terms which would include what we do. In which case the question could be - 'how can we facilitate harmony even when we disagree'.

Hi apepch7,

I like this......^^^

But I would still answer the same as I would the old question:

"Hold your tongue if you are angry". Speaking out of anger only serves to escalate things not de-escalate things. Speaking out of love even when in disagreement is (IMO) the only way to facilitate harmony between opposing parties. It's hard to "hate" someone when they are carrying on a truly "loving" disagreement with you.

Love,

Carson :D

Not really.

In the environmental community, human population growth has now been unavoidably identified as a root cause to environmental destruction.And Hispanics are the fastest-growing group of all Americans - due to the highest birth rates now:Now, 68% of Hispanics are Catholic, and 1/3 of US Catholics are Hispanic. So, you can say there's a link between Catholicism and higher birth rates - and thus environmental damage.

Therefore, I don't think it's a stretch to say that Catholicism ultimately has an environmental impact due to its traditional self-propagating stance against BC and for large families.

And what of the 100+ countries that have a higher growth rate than the US? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_count...ion_growth_rate

Get a grip man. The US is not the center of the universe. And even with the disdain I hold for catholicism, I can't lay this on their doorstep. If you wanna start getting down on the environmental debate, I'll start a new thread for it.

And what of the 100+ countries that have a higher growth rate than the US? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_count...ion_growth_rate

Get a grip man. The US is not the center of the universe. And even with the disdain I hold for catholicism, I can't lay this on their doorstep. If you wanna start getting down on the environmental debate, I'll start a new thread for it.

True, the highest birth rates are all in (non-Catholicized) Africa. So, there's obviously other factors too...

But that doesn't change the fact that a religious ideology can still be one of them. I mean, look at the Mormons. They were traditionally encouraged to have large families - and still have 1 more than the US average today. So, there is a direct influence here between religious doctrine, lifestyle and environmental impact.

Edited by vortex

Hi vortex,

In the environmental community, human population growth has now been unavoidably identified as a root cause to environmental destruction.

And what has been identified as the root cause of human population growth? A constant increase in food supply. Have you ever read "Ishmael" "The Story of B" or "My Ishmael" by Daniel Quinn? I think you should...or at least have a look at what his research is all about here: http://www.ishmael.org/Education/Science/index.shtml

I think you will find it quite enlightening.

Good luck.

Love,

P.S> Another good link is www.dieoff.org .....this goes far beyond just human population growth.

Edited by CarsonZi

Hi vortex,

And what has been identified as the root cause of human population growth? A constant increase in food supply. Have you ever read "Ishmael" "The Story of B" or "My Ishmael" by Daniel Quinn? I think you should...or at least have a look at what his research is all about here: http://www.ishmael.org/Education/Science/index.shtml

I think you will find it quite enlightening.

Good luck.

Love,

P.S> Another good link is www.dieoff.org .....this goes far beyond just human population growth.

What are the factors responsible for the increase in food supply on this planet? Fossil fuels and fertilizers. When the planet runs out of fossil fuels, the maximum population that can be supported with traditional agrarian techniques is around 10% of present day levels.

ralis

Edited by ralis

What are the factors responsible for the increase in food supply on this planet? Fossil fuels and fertilizers. When the planet runs out of fossil fuels, the maximum population that can be supported with traditional agrarian techniques is around 10% of present day levels.

ralis

It's all explained in the links. (and the books) To much info to post here. Sorry. Have a read if you truly are interested in understanding and not just arguing.

Love,

We could facilitate interfaith harmony by defining those things/ideas which we hold in common.

To answer my own point. Things we all agree on: I suggest -

1) Gross materiality is not an adequate description of reality.

2) It is best to avoid harming others if possible.

Obviously if Satanism is a faith they might not sign up to No. 2 when it comes to virgins.

Edited by apepch7

True, the highest birth rates are all in (non-Catholicized) Africa. So, there's obviously other factors too...

But that doesn't change the fact that a religious ideology can still be one of them. I mean, look at the Mormons. They were traditionally encouraged to have large families - and still have 1 more than the US average today. So, there is a direct influence here between religious doctrine, lifestyle and environmental impact.

Great post!

The environmental impact caused by the two largest countries (India and China) would be included in this discussion.

India to this day is heavily influenced by the caste system. Although, the Indian constitution makes it illegal to discriminate based one ones caste. The caste system was in part started by religious ideologues i.e, Brahman priesthood. The caste system is closed to any sort of upward mobility.

The doctrine of karma that was created by the Brahmans causes immense suffering on the streets of India. What I mean by this is that one lives ones karma out no matter what degree of suffering one finds oneself in. Being born and dying in the slums. Starvation and searching for food in garbage piles. Yet in spite of this, there is still the continuation of population growth. The same problems are perpetuated throughout generations. In part, this is a result of religious doctrine instituted by the priesthood.

In terms of pollution, food supply, disease, the entire region is effected. In the last few years the entire planet is feeling the effects of these problems. In particular, the demand for fossil fuels. Therefor causing increased stress on the planets ecology. Last year there were rice shortages in this entire region due to fear of increased demand for fossil fuels and price increases.

We live in a complex system that is effected by many variables. Physical as well as belief systems. All human behavior including doctrinal beliefs can and have been shown to have effects on the entire world.

How much longer can we stand by and watch all of these problems increase geometrically? Still there are those who would have us sit idly by and tolerate any doctrine no matter what the effects are on so many worldwide!

The solution to so called religious harmony is not one of doing whatever ones belief system dictates, no matter what the so called higher cause is.

ralis

Come on folks - This thread is important enough to be kept seperate - PLEASE... do as suggested and create another thread - It is an interesting topic - but things are so hard to find here these days anyway - can't we at least try to keep our threads on topic!- at least after its suggeted already! :blink: A joke here and there is great - off topic is not a bad thing quite often it dove-tails and creates a continuum - but this is just another topic...

Love to all

Edited by Wayfarer64

ralis

Yea, still goes back to humans...

Humans cultivated more land to produce more food for themselves. Let's not put the cart before the horse here.

Fact is, the human population going exponential in the last few decades is the biggest silent event in our history.

WorldPopulationGraph.jpg

Imagine, just 50 years ago in 1960, the world population was only 3 billion!

chart.jpg

And now it is nearly 3X that!

Now, do the math and figure out how much extra energy consumption, habitat loss and waste this alone has generated...and then tell me population growth has little to do with environmental damage. When it has EVERYTHING to do with it!

Anyhow, back on topic - imagine Buddha, Fu Xi, Laozi, Jesus, Mohammed, etc all sat down together at a bar... What would they say to each other? What would they agree or disagree on?

ralis -

How much longer can we stand by and watch all of these problems increase geometrically?

Hmm... 'we', eh? Some of 'us' are not standing by! If you have any practical steps to suggest I am sure some of 'us' would welcome them.

As far as the question about survival rates post-fossil fuel, we are looking at dieoff but not back down to 10% of current levels. I've posted his blog before and will again: John Michael Greer has been tracking this since the 1970s. There are quite a few people working on this subject:

http://www.thearchdruidreport.blogspot.com

... and for those who want to get involved in initiatives towards sustainable post-oil living in their local area, check out Transitions Towns:

http://www.transitiontowns.org/

There is no need to feel powerless.

Owing to permaculture techniques, lower tech tech, and scavenging, we are looking at a 'stairstep decline' -- that is, a series of ever-lower equilibria punctuated by crises -- as western technological society winds down over the next several generations. If this lights a fire under anyone's goals to be healthy and well-fed in sustainable ways, they'll be thankful later. It's also a great moment to start thinking about how close the nearest farm is and asking much you have in common your neighbours, and vice-versa.

Spirituality has a strong role to play in the future. Prehistorically, cultures with good relations to elemental spiritual forces were the ones which prospered. That was the reason for so many small country shrines and cultural mannerisms that could well stand to be revived. What survives will not be the culture we know, so it is a good moment to start thinking what needs to be taken forward vs. what has outlived its usefulness.

The shakedown has begun, and the system is going to rebalance bringing difficult times -- but also, opportunities to live differently for those who time their exit well and have God's support. Perhaps we will soon see who actually enjoys divine favour, and who has been fooling their congregations! :)

Things are never as simple as a purist would have you believe, but in this case, I think that what is contrary to the Tao really isn't going to last long. Big top-down schemes of international harmony are great, but small, constructive practical steps on the ground taken by individuals will be of greater importance in my opinion. Those belief systems which foster it will make out well.

There are also many twists in the plot to come I suspect, and many opportunities for creativity.

All best wishes,

~NeutralWire~

Edited by NeutralWire

Anyhow, back on topic - imagine Buddha, Fu Xi, Laozi, Jesus, Mohammed, etc all sat down together at a bar... What would they say to each other? What would they agree or disagree on?

What would they agree on?

My answer: That VIRTUE is the fundamental building block and primary goal of all spiritual endeavours.

:D

My answer: That VIRTUE is the fundamental building block and primary goal of all spiritual endeavours.

:D

I'll repeat mine cos they got lost above:

1) Gross materiality is not an adequate description of reality.

2) It is best to avoid harming others if possible.

Too simple. :D

I was wondering more like:

Would Buddha try to enlighten Jesus and free him from reincarnation?

Would Jesus try to save Buddha and promise him eternal life in Heaven?

Would Mohammed tell Jesus that he's just a delusional prophet?

Would Laozi show Mohammed how to really become immortal on his own, without Jesus?

Or would they basically agree that they were all really on the same page?

Edited by vortex