Sign in to follow this  
innerspace_cadet

I've started playing the didgeridoo

I had to do a sleep study last Saturday night for my obstructive sleep apnea. While he was hooking me up to the electrodes, the technician mentioned that playing a didgeridoo might help alleviate my condition. So I looked into it, and I bought one. I have been playing it this past week, and it is the only musical instrument that I've stuck with. Not only has it alleviated the symptoms of my sleep apnea, but when I play the instrument, I feel very calm and meditative. If I come home from work very upset and agitated, just playing it for a half hour calms me down.

I could never commit to playing the guitar. This is probably because it required a lot of manual dexterity in my fingers, which I did not want to work to develop. It also had to do with the fact that a guitar has to be tuned regularly, which I found to be tedious and annoying.

The didgeridoo turned out to be the perfect instrument for me. I even joined a didgeridoo meetup group in my city.

So if any of you has a problem with OSA (Obstructive Sleep Apnea) or simply wants to learn a very spiritual and healing instrument, I highly recommend the didgeridoo.

I bought an oriental bamboo flute last year that had a similar effect. With no musical training at all and no apparent instructors available, my enthusiasm dropped off.

Reading this post gives me some incentive to pick the thing up and belt out a few notes again! :D

Yes, it is important to get an instructor. (I'm going to one on Saturday.) This is because the instructional youtube videos only go so far. But I'm happy that my post reinvigorated your enthusiasm. :)

Indeed spiritual. Your chakras will resonate with the sound of the didgeridoo and promote emotional healing.

Tibetan Buddhists use a similar instrument called "dung chen" (long horn):

411447837673.jpg

Enjoy your didge.

:)

Sweet! Try pointing it at a friends spine standing or laying on their belly and go up and down and closer and farther (focusing the standing accoustic wave)... its a GREAT way to get some laughs and it's a sound massage. If you play with vowel sounds you get some neat shapes.

Edited by Spectrum

Didgeridoo music is deep, on lots of levels. At Tao Mountain a few years back an aussie brought a humble PVC pipe version. It made awesome music.

Michael

It is awesome that the didgeridoo has helped your condition. As a sleep consultant myself my interest has been especially perked.

I was taught to play the didge, or yidaki, by a traditional aboriginal. He said it's ok for whitefella to play the didge as long as he don't try and say he is playing any traditional tunes. And of course in most tribes you have to keep in mind that females playing the didgeridoo is strictly taboo.

Here is a couple of learning tips:

- reverse breathing: take a full mouthful of water and, as you spit it out in a narrow constant stream, breathe in through the nose. If you don't drown you are heading in the right direction ;)

- articulation: it is said that the actual word didgeridoo was given by whiteman who heard a player articulating "didgeridoo" through the instrument. Practicing this will open new ranges of sounds and tones.

Please be discerning and respectful with any attempts at 'healing' with the didge, this delves into sacred traditional business.

Otherwise enjoy, it's amazing what you can do with a hunk of wood.

:D

- reverse breathing: take a full mouthful of water and, as you spit it out in a narrow constant stream, breathe in through the nose. If you don't drown you are heading in the right direction ;)
Woa, that feels challenging! :huh:

I got diagnosed with sleep apnea in 2002.

I tried the cpap machine, throat sprays, devices to keep the mouth closed......... all to no avail.

I've heard the didgeridoo helped with the apnea but I never got around to look for one.............gonna give it a shot..................thanks Innerspace Cadet and good luck with your playing!

Sign in to follow this