Sign in to follow this  
Stigweard

How do we teach peace and harmony?

Question to the panel at the summit:

How do we teach people, especially the young, both the benefits and the application of peace and harmony?

How would you have answered?

Perhaps by example?

I do not believe this is knowledge that can be caned into someone or yelled into understanding or even repeated over and over and over and over... :D

I absolutely agree with by example is the best answer. Had a self defense teacher who once made a comment re. we have too much pretend violence in our society and not enough real violence- and I agree with his point which is seeing movies and games playing at shooting and fighting gives kids a mistaken understanding of what this really is, but if something real happens to you or your friend or family we see it is very serious and want to make sure it never can happen again and hopefully have empathy that we'd never want it to happen to anyone else. So I think keeping young people not too sheltered from reality and consequences of violence, practical and positive ways to apply this might be volunteer work helping and getting to know people who have had real problems caused by violence in the world.

I absolutely agree with by example is the best answer. Had a self defense teacher who once made a comment re. we have too much pretend violence in our society and not enough real violence- and I agree with his point which is seeing movies and games playing at shooting and fighting gives kids a mistaken understanding of what this really is, but if something real happens to you or your friend or family we see it is very serious and want to make sure it never can happen again and hopefully have empathy that we'd never want it to happen to anyone else. So I think keeping young people not too sheltered from reality and consequences of violence, practical and positive ways to apply this might be volunteer work helping and getting to know people who have had real problems caused by violence in the world.

:D and i agree back. i've worked with people who have been through hard-ships and i plan to go back to school to teach little kids. my parents sheltered me a lot & i feel it was absolutely hindering to learn what something like war is at 18 and not 8.

by example.

the louder we shout something, even if it's true, the more people (especially kids) will tune it out.

if we show our pride in being peaceful, our children can follow.

Absolutely I agree. :D

As parents we also have the challenge that the other "teachers", that being media, popular entertainment etc. are pumping out the virulent message that violence and conflict has almost a celebrity status.

What can we do in the face of such social indoctrinisation?

Sign in to follow this