Sign in to follow this  
johntrevy

Has anyone stayed at a spiritual retreat?

Ive been considering for a long time to go to a spiritual retreat, i understand there are a few in UK. I understand that there is a daily routine (get up, have breakfast, do chores, meditation time, more work, rest, meditation time, bed). Is this correct? What is this routine like? Is it hard to settle into?Are the people friendly?

I was just wondering because i really could do with a more straightforward existance (i really am not cut out for this modern day larkey). Im willing to do my bit in the function of the community (as it should be), but i really would like my acomplishments to be based on somthing that has meaning. As oposed to earning running around on a hamster wheel chasing my tail for money that never existed in the first place.

Any help would be appreciated :)

Ive been considering for a long time to go to a spiritual retreat, i understand there are a few in UK. I understand that there is a daily routine (get up, have breakfast, do chores, meditation time, more work, rest, meditation time, bed). Is this correct? What is this routine like? Is it hard to settle into?Are the people friendly?

I was just wondering because i really could do with a more straightforward existance (i really am not cut out for this modern day larkey). Im willing to do my bit in the function of the community (as it should be), but i really would like my acomplishments to be based on somthing that has meaning. As oposed to earning running around on a hamster wheel chasing my tail for money that never existed in the first place.

Any help would be appreciated :)

Have been on week long retreats, never to a permanent spiritual community.

Suggest you read Daniel Ingram (search this site) to get an idea of what the benefits and difficulties can be.

I've done days, weeks, and months at a time. There's no general rule - each retreat has its own sort of culture, so it's good to talk to people who have been to the particular one that you're interested in. Also see if you can visit beforehand to get a sense of the energy.

Talk to the retreat leaders, find out what the routine is like, how people contribute their individual skills, ask about accommodations and any particular customs followed. When you immerse yourself in that kind of intense environment, there can be a disconnect when you leave, unless you have some guidance in how to integrate your experience back into your life wherever you go from there.

There's usually a comraderie because of a shared purpose, but often people are focused inwardly on their own personal practice. Again, depends on the particular community and what type of practice it is.

Silent retreats are the way to go. Damn tough if it is your first time but let me tell you something: the fruits will appear soon.

Satipatthana Vipassana in the Thai tradition is what suits me: walk-sit (in equal parts)-acknowledge, walk-sit-acknowledge, walk-sit-acknowledge...It has a profound transformation in the individual. Very deep.

I just spent a 21 day silent retreat in northern Thailand and loved it. I will return again for sure.

if interested send me a PM and I can give you more details.

Good luck whatever you decide to do.

Edited: You need to come back to reality unless you decide to become a renunciate.

Edited by durkhrod chogori

I did a work exchange at a Yoga place for a year and it was pretty relaxed. I didnt do yoga but practiced tai chi on my breaks instead of the yoga and after Sunday Yoga services I'd head into town to go to the local Catholic church.

Not all retreats are created equal. Visit for a day or two before a long stay.

I did a work exchange at a Yoga place for a year and it was pretty relaxed. I didnt do yoga but practiced tai chi on my breaks instead of the yoga and after Sunday Yoga services I'd head into town to go to the local Catholic church.

Not all retreats are created equal. Visit for a day or two before a long stay.

Im glad that it overall is a positive experience. Has anyone else been to a retreat?

Sign in to follow this