宁

The Book That Changed Your Life - What Was It?

^_^

For some of us, things worked out this way... a good book, and we were "on the road", searching for the "Great Path..."

You may have more than one title, but no more than three...

Let's see what will happen :) Please don't shy out!

Later edit:

Thank you guys and gals, i'm glad you like the thread too. I'd add some spice to the plot by adding another question: which of those books you'd take with yourself on a desert island :lol:

Ok, ok, i know it's hard to decide... would you make a list?

Edited by Little1

A very influencial book for me was M. Saso "The teaching of Taoist Master Chuang" back in 1978.

No life changes but a whole lot to ponder ...

:)

YM

Jonathan Livingston Seagull, written by Richard Bach.

I read it at the very end of the 80's in highschool. My first "spiritual" book :)

Path Notes by Glenn Morris

i was already heavily into spirituality but reading this book made it accessible and gave me the motivation that i could actually attain it

Joseph Campbell's works on Myth. Was very frustrated with the fundamental Christian church we were attending and Campbell pretty much blew my mind.

It's fiction, but Tom Robbin's "Jitterbug Perfume" is one of the best novels I've ever read.

Lol? Um?

I think it was called

"For Love Of A Donkey"

Was about a girl during war time and she found this donkey ...

Was the first "Real" book I'd ever read in this life.

Took me a whole summer to read it, I think!

Got me hooked on books!

Then I was reading 3 or 4 a week.

My folks couldn't stand it.

... was insatiable.

Now i have a pile that's as tall as myself that i am reading.

:(

... i need time!!!

After that there have been many that mark great periods of learning/understanding.

Still haven't found my favorite book of all time though!!!

"For Love of a Donkey"

How Taoist is that!?!

Lol?

it was.

I don't think there is a single book that changed my life. However, I've read many great books that have been influential, and if I make a list of them, I am certain to miss many.

Some of my favorites are (in no particular order!):

Vimalakirti Nirdesa Sutra

Chuang Tzu: The Inner Chapters

Lieh Tzu

Avadhuta Gita

Rumi's various writings

Buddhahood Without Meditation

The Precious Treasury of the Basic Space of Phenomena by Longchen Rabjam

The Supreme Source Tantra

Shodoka: Song of Freedom

All books by Richard Bach, and Illusions: The Adventures of a Reluctant Messiah in particular

All of these are heavy hitters, but there are many more to mention.

Edited by goldisheavy

'Martial Arts Madness' by Glenn Morris. I picked it up one day for no reason at all -- wasn't into spirituality, wasn't into martial arts.

It's been an interesting few years since then! Whenever I want to remember why I'm doing this I can pick up that book... his tone of voice is just right for me.

~NeutralWire~

"Journey to Ixtlan" by Castaneda

i learned to take responsibility for my life, for my feelings, and dare to go for the Big Fish!

^_^

"Journey to Ixtlan" by Castaneda

i learned to take responsibility for my life, for my feelings, and dare to go for the Big Fish!

^_^

Yeah me too.

Help remind me what was I use to be in another time.

Probably the book "Wherever You Go There You Are" by John Kabat Zenn. At the time I just wanted to learn to meditate in order to relax. That book got me interested in studying Buddhism, and of course meditation became about much more than just chillin' out. :)

"Cultivating the Energy of Life" by Eva Wong. It's a translation of the Hui Ming Ching, and although it didn't mean a whole lot to me then, it really was crucial to my developing interest in Taoist cultivation. Not really an eye opening book for me (just the opposite: I had more questions after reading it than before) but again, it really opened the door for me. :)

Wasn't really a book.... but a youtube channel. Yogameditation's youtube channel, actually (the guy's name is Wan Qi aka Bob Kim aka something else I forgot). Sure, he does some kinda sketchy things, and says a lot of things I don't agree with, HOWEVER, it was because of his videos that my interest got piqued in spiritual matters and serious cultivation.

the complete idiots guide to zen living, got me interested in philosophy.

So i practiced zazen a few times.

Then i found pathnotes of an american ninja master. learned about alchemical paths and went for it.

There have been many....

First it was "The Holy Bible",

then "Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenence",

then "The Cosmic Serpent, DNA and the Origins of Knowledge",

then "Autobiography of a Yogi",

then "Easy Lessons for Ecstatic Living",

then "Real Love",

then "Loving What Is".

Every one of these books has been a catalyst for change in my life.

Love,

Carson :D

P.S. Sorry there are more then 3...I just couldn't leave any of these ones out and still have the list be complete.

Edited by CarsonZi

Wilhelms' translation of the I Ching - has been the most influential book in my life -

as a voracious reader there have been many that seemed profound and meaningful... when I was very young I got a lovely picture book of boats drawn around New York City harbor - it thrilled me no end and I still have it to give me a very deep sense of wonderment and joy!

writing: my own book - @ -http://www.lulu.com/browse/preview.php?fCID=265718 also changed my perspective a lot!

Edited by Wayfarer64

I also have a few which have definitely changed me. Again there's more than three, but I just couldn't leave any out. :)

1. Xing Yi Nei Gong by Dan Miller & Tim Cartmell.

THE book on physical internal cultivation. A complete nei gong set for health and martial power. Say goodbye to aches, pains and colds.

2. The Way Of Energy by Master Lam Kam Chuen.

The finest book ever on Zhan Zhuang. Also includes the famous Eight Brocades qigong set.

3. Tao Te Ching by Lao Tzu translated by D C Lau.

Nothing needs to be said.

4. I Ching translated by Richard Wilhelm.

Only started studying this recently, but I can already feel her immense spiritual energy.

The forward by Carl Jung is brilliant.

5. Mindfulness In Plain English by Bhante Gunaratana.

Vipassana (insight) meditation instruction, and for FREE !

6. The Four Noble Truths by Ajahn Sumedho

The WHOLE of the Buddha's teaching is in the four noble truths. There is no need for anything else.

This book is also FREE !

7. The Mustard Seed by Osho.

A commentary on The Gospel Of Thomas. The REAL teachings of Jesus.

A beautiful emotional read.

In Search of the Miraculous by PD Ouspensky

Mindfulness in Plain English by Bhante G

These are the only books I can actually say changed my life. And they did so very profoundly.

Walden

Catch 22

On the Road

The Dharma Bums

A Journey to Ixtlan

Labyrinths

The Way of the Peaceful Warrior

Zen Mind, Beginner's Mind

Path Notes

That's more than 3, sorry!

When I was backpacking for a few months I had a copy of Stephen Levine's book 'A Gradual Awakening' with me. Its style of Vispassana probably started me on a spiritual path.

I've been influenced by Glenn Morris's 'Pathnotes of a Ninja.." bad tittle, great book(I also picked up his Meditative Mastery tape series), and it led me to taking KAP classes w/ Varjatsu here :).

Freebies!!!

I enjoy the Zen Inspired talks of Michael McAllistair downloadable as Itunes podcasts, my favorite.

Zencast is another good one, it has many excellent indepth audio courses and talks on Zen. Multi-week lessons free!

Rawn Clark's ABARDONCOMPANION.COM site has an excellent series of guided meditation and kabalic chants.

For you Buddhist Jews, the Awakened Heart Project for Jewish Meditation and Comtemplation has some great podcasts.

Indepth History I like Dan Carlin's Hardcore History podcast.

Haven't listened to it much, but on Trunks recommendation I subscribed to the Guru Radio podcast w/ Mark Griffin.

Michael