GrandTrinity

Ming Men

I am reading this book called Yoga Alchemy by Larry Johnson which talks about Indian and Chinese Systems and compares them, too!

It is very heady and deep and powerful, it seems A LOOOOOOT of emphasis in alchemy is on the DOOR OF LIFE or MING MEN. This seems to be the KEY spot for transformation? What do yall think?

I am reading this book called Yoga Alchemy by Larry Johnson which talks about Indian and Chinese Systems and compares them, too!

It is very heady and deep and powerful, it seems A LOOOOOOT of emphasis in alchemy is on the DOOR OF LIFE or MING MEN. This seems to be the KEY spot for transformation? What do yall think?

7286[/snapback]

Well, it's the source of movement. People say 'dantian' controls movement, but the mingmen is the 'back of the dantian'. One high level practioner i trained with said that taiji movement works this area and that in turn stimulates our bodies to produce more hormone, specifically DHEA. Not sure if there any studies to back up that claim, but it may be what they are experiencing subjectively.

What exactly is being said in this book about the mingmen?

Thaddeus

I'm curious as well about what the book says about the MM. I've always had trouble with feeling my MM during orbit meditation, etc. Always felt I was a bit blocked there. Also I have a slight disc problem very close to the area and always wondered if that was related.

SO, I'm very interested in this discussion and in any techniques for opening/strengthening/energizing the ming men.

I'm curious as well about what the book says about the MM.  I've always had trouble with feeling my MM during orbit meditation, etc.  Always felt I was a bit blocked there.  Also I have a slight disc problem very close to the area and always wondered if that was related.

SO, I'm very interested in this discussion and in any techniques for opening/strengthening/energizing the ming men.

7298[/snapback]

Yang Zhen Duo said the body separates at that spot, so you extend upwards and relax downwards and open it. It will then be 'hinge'. He said this should fill your body with strength. I got that from a seminar he led. At the time I didn't pay alot of attention to it, but i'll play around with that concept in my training..

thaddeus

This book says A LOT of things about the mingmen importance. I suggest you check it out for youself because it also has a lot of other secret achemical tips, for example, it says that the liver balances all the other organs!

The ming men seems to have a fire quality whole kidneys have water....its where primordial qi connects to postnatal/prenatal/cosmic controls digestion spirituality, martial arts....etc...etc...etc

I'm curious as well about what the book says about the MM.  I've always had trouble with feeling my MM during orbit meditation, etc.  Always felt I was a bit blocked there.  Also I have a slight disc problem very close to the area and always wondered if that was related.

7298[/snapback]

have you done much sacral breathing?

I took a retreat this summer where we talked alot about this point.

Generally, this is the key alchemical point for men, while the heart is more imporant for women.

It seems to increase the Jing, and also strengthens the reproductive function, relating to sexual ability and kidney function. It also has a very powerful rejuvenating function.

An important factor in actually getting the benifit is really to open the point. The key is to access it from the root of the navel, on the inside of the spine where it resides between the two discs. Picture it like a red dot. I find that this is really hard and takes some getting used to, as getting an actual energetic response from that point is very difficult. But when you get it you immediately get the results.

Try pairing it up with the coccyx/tailbone point and the Ming men can be the main focus in sitting for years.

h

"Generally, this is the key alchemical point for men, while the heart is more imporant for women."

Extremely interesting.

I am a huge fan of the Door of Life! yay! :)

Im reading "Choosing Life, guidlines to avoiding extinction" by Michael Frost at the moment, in this book there is a mediation called the "Gate of Life" meditation.

Michael states this meditation restores the adrenals and leads to an increase in DHEA also, its so simple its unbelievable you just put your arms into a certain mudra and stay still, no breath patterns or vizualisations required.

Im starting to incorporate it daily and will give an update in a couple of months to let everyone know how I am feeling, he states this one meditation can restore ones health in every aspect. I believe it comes from the Indian Yoga tradition.

Gand Trinity, what have been your results with the "Gate of Life".

Daniel

7286[/snapback]

Believe I've heard Michael Winn call it the most important point as well. Have yet to do much work with it though (there's never a shortage of practices)

Winn once told me that the kidneys relate to the "will to be in the body"

Surely it seems (for men at least) this is the alchemical lock that we must open to enter the door to the source of Singularity in the Work.

It has yin and yang aspects. The tan tien connect to the ming men is rarely talked about, but according to my book, this connect activates the belt channel! We'll all have to meditate on that one!!!!!!!!

SO far my experience with the Gate of Life has been very good. I didnt do it much because I had messed up shoulders, but Warrior Wellness had improved my range of motion a lot, so, now I can do the Gate of Life. Rarely, however, for the entire 11 minutes! Thats got to be rare to find some1 who can do that. I recall the once or twice times I did acheive the 11 minutes meditaion with my hands in that position, the chi was flowing maaaaaad smoothly and I had a GREAT time. I will have to try again soon--very deep state of emptyness/fullness and connection with yuan chi :lol:

I did the gate of life once while listening to a tape of Mike's voice meditating...that was very good and smooth and enlightening/opening/grounding/flying...

GT, You are right about doing the entire 11 minutes. I did it for the first time today and found it hard to get to 3 minutes, but I guess if I increase by a minute every week or two I should be able to achieve the full 11 minutes. I noticed I felt very charged up just after 3 minutes and actually felt sexually rev'd up, maybe its all the jing that this meditation builds. I was re-reading the benefits of doing the

"Gate of Life" and one really important side effect is the increase in Testosterone and DHEA from doing this meditation, both these hormones are very important in living a long an healthy life. The book does not state what to focus the mind on so I assume you just concentrate on the pose and be mindfull at the same time.

Do you do it seated on standing, Im going to do it standing as I feel more comfortable that way, at the moment my daily routine in "Gate of Life" in the morning and "Healing Sounds in the Evening.

Daniel

Anyone got a PIC of this anywhere?  Kinda hard to follow..

Thaddeus

7363[/snapback]

It's impossible to follow. I asked twice and then gave up. If anyone can describe it again, or post a pic, or the description in the book, that would be much appreciated.

It's impossible to follow.  I asked twice and then gave up.  If anyone can describe it again, or post a pic, or the description in the book, that would be much appreciated.

7364[/snapback]

I noticed on amazon, you can 'search inside' the book. However, I can not find a reference to the gate of life meditation..where in the book is it?

Thanks..

Thaddeus

It sounds like you take the NFL referee the-field-goal-is-good mudra and let one of your arms fall into the German WWII soldier salute mudra. (sorry for the unpleasant reference, but it's the best description)

Grand Trinity can correct this description, but I'm pretty sure this is right.

I just tried it this morning for the first time. Survived the 11 minutes, but had to do a few shake out breaks. Then did some WW type drills, then did 20 minutes of standing with my hands folded over the ltt, and it was a great session despite the fact that there was a helicopter hovering a hundred yards away. Even so, I was feeling very relaxed and blissful so I'll definitely experiment more.

It should be fairly similar to the yoga mountain pose done with the hands up.

-Yoda

I noticed on amazon, you can 'search inside' the book.  However, I can  not find a reference to the gate of life meditation..where in the book is it?

Thanks..

Thaddeus

7365[/snapback]

It's on page 137. It's called: LEVEL III - MEDITATION FOR THE LOWER TRIANGLE. Hope that helps!

Yep it does alot...thumb to mound under pinky finger for each hand, elbows straight...you all can see for yourselves on amazon..has details and two pics.

Thaddeus.

7369[/snapback]

Uh, I think this is a dumb question, but how do you get to a specific page on Amazon? It just shows me a handful of pages, none of which are 137 (eg, front cover, back cover, index, Mantak Chia intro).

I kept hitting "surprise me" and it bounced around to other parts of the book, but never got near 137. And then I reached my limit, so Amazon shut me down.

(oh, and if anyone can send me that friggin diagram I'd appreciate it).

Uh, I think this is a dumb question, but how do you get to a specific page on Amazon?  It just shows me a handful of pages, none of which are 137 (eg, front cover, back cover, index, Mantak Chia intro). 

I kept hitting "surprise me" and it bounced around to other parts of the book, but never got near 137.  And then I reached my limit, so Amazon shut me down.

(oh, and if anyone can send me that friggin diagram I'd appreciate it).

7372[/snapback]

if you mouse over the book, it will show a 'search inside' box. Do a search on Lower Triangle and it will show up. you can try creating another amazon id to read that page. I couldn't figure out anyway to print or save it.

thaddeus

The key is to open the orbit as you do it.i Just did an eight minute session, after kettle, clubbels, tai chi and some dance of shiva. I noticed that it was doing amazingly powerful things, it was almost scary. The hand mudra forces chi into your wrists, a great way to recover from kettles/clubbels! Also I felt like it was forcing my chi open in the entire body...I had to relax. So i did a little chi kung and returned, its a realllllly hard meditation, and that, I assume, is why it is so good! The chi in the shoulders also get opened. It is hard to stay calm and relaxed and grounded but this one I will keep up. Dont think of it as a compeition to get to 11 minutes. I forced myself to keep going for a minute or two then I felt a slight pain in my wing point which I had to fix with more chi kung. :lol: Now wheres my protein?

I paged through Frost's book on amazon and I ordered myself a copy--it looks absolutely amazing! Just imagine... a book on taoist practices that's sensible and easy to understand... what will they think of next????

I paged through Frost's book on amazon and I ordered myself a copy--it looks absolutely amazing!  Just imagine... a book on taoist practices that's sensible and easy to understand... what will they think of next????

7375[/snapback]

Yoda, what did you like about it? Maybe I'm just a pessimist, but after looking through it, it seemed like a mantak chia regurgitation. I have almost all of Chia's books. I also see frost had exposure to kundalini yoga and expanded on Mantak's Chia's collection of techniques. So it looks like Mantak Chia + Kundalini Yoga = ??.

While on this topic, has anyone published any material NOT based on Mantak Chia that people think is readable and accessible?

Thaddeus

if you mouse over the book, it will show a 'search inside' box. Do a search on Lower Triangle and it will show up.  you can try creating another amazon id to read that page.  I couldn't figure out anyway to print or save it.

thaddeus

7373[/snapback]

Thanks Thaddeus. I can see now how that COULD work. Unfortunately, when I created a new account, it said that I have to have purchased something in order to see that page, and when I go back to my old account, it says I've reached my limit on searching --- arrrrrrgggghhhhhh!!!!. Anyway, it's good to know for future reference.

Regarding other books to read, Daniel Reid is very good, as is Ken Cohen. Kumar Frantzis has some interesting stuff as well. All are good authors and have well written books that are similar to the Chia brand of taoism but come from different traditions.

If you want a good read that's really not instructional, check out "Opening the Dragon Gate", its the autobiography of a modern taoist wizard, and quite entertaining. You'll also see similarities with the stuff we study.

I'll be asking more dumb questions about this ming men posture later, I'd ask you all to be patient with me.