Stigweard

Do You Train Martial Arts?

The Martial Arts Poll  

110 members have voted

1. 1. Are You Currently Actively Involved in Martial Arts Training?

• Yes (post which type below)
    • No

Scotty,

Very soon mate, ill let it be known dont worry you will get your chances guys!!! Hahahahah But i wont be promising golden dragon bodys disappearing and 3 dan tians exploding so maybe that might not get your attention?:( That wasnt directed at you scotty just the butt monkey 5 element wanna be Max Christiansonsosnsosn of Kunlun. :)

Become a tree wood element fix your liver....LOL

Ape

Wai Gong/Nei Gong, nothing special about the names. The practices I have are not taught commercially and even in books. They are practices learned through meditation and personal apprenticing with my teachers.

My Wing Chun lineages are of Jiu Wan, to Jason Lau, to Alan Goldberg- Jiu Wan Lineage. The other lineage we hold is from Yip Man, Moy Yat, Alan Goldberg- Yip Man. Jiu Wan was a student of Jiu Chow who studied with Yip Man under Chan Hua Shun.

Peace and Blessings,

Lin

Your comment about the name of Nei Gong your right "the name" is nothing special about them.

The specific Nei Gong you do not need to get into very specific detail and so forth about... and understand that its more a private type of thing. Was hoping for more a general type of answer so i might know of the direction of what your talking about... and if i don't i would get some idea of the general understanding of it.

Wai Gong the name is not familiar to me (at least pointed out in my own personal experiences that can identifies what the name Wai Gong means) I've read on the internet more then one definition. Thats why i asked how do you define Wai Gong.

Anyway... If you much rather prefer you can send me e-mails about it... You have my E-mail address were we can discuss about the definition of Wai Gong... and we won't get to involved into your personal practice that was apprenticed from your teachers. If not thats ok also.

Thanks,

Peace,

Sincerely wT.

Edited by WhiteTiger

Your comment about the name of Nei Gong your right "the name" is nothing special about them.

The specific Nei Gong you do not need to get into very specific detail and so forth about... and understand that its more a private type of thing. Was hoping for more a general type of answer so i might know of the direction of what your talking about... and if i don't i would get some idea of the general understanding of it.

Wai Gong the name is not familiar to me (at least pointed out in my own personal experiences that can identifies what the name Wai Gong means) I've read on the internet more then one definition. Thats why i asked how do you define Wai Gong.

Anyway... If you much rather prefer you can send me e-mails about it... You have my E-mail address were we can discuss about the definition of Wai Gong... and we won't get to involved into your personal practice that was apprenticed from your teachers. If not thats ok also.

Thanks,

Peace,

Sincerely wT.

Waigong is to utilize breath and mind to cultivate the muscles, tendons, ligaments: focusing on the manipulation of structure to attain substance and force. Basically cultivating one's mind and utilizing it to raise one's energy, change the body structure, strengthen it as to prepare for deeper, less physical practices.

Neigong is to use mind and energy to do the work, the body, though it will be moved and such, the focus is totally on mind concentration power and energetic strength. Wai gong prepares one for Nei Gong. When the body "external" is healthy, then the "internal" body can rely on that strength to be cultivated.

Vague to a degree, but that's the best way I can put it at the moment.

Also, nothing that I have is secretive, I just call it Jing Xin Shen Gong: Pure Heart Spiritual Cultivation. Basically begins with mastering structure/form, cultivating the body, rid it of toxins, develop concentration power by cultivating the mind through cultivation of the Buddha Dharma and Daoist teachings, etc, etc, etc.

Peace and Blessings White Tiger!

Lin

Waigong is to utilize breath and mind to cultivate the muscles, tendons, ligaments: focusing on the manipulation of structure to attain substance and force. Basically cultivating one's mind and utilizing it to raise one's energy, change the body structure, strengthen it as to prepare for deeper, less physical practices.

Neigong is to use mind and energy to do the work, the body, though it will be moved and such, the focus is totally on mind concentration power and energetic strength. Wai gong prepares one for Nei Gong. When the body "external" is healthy, then the "internal" body can rely on that strength to be cultivated.

Vague to a degree, but that's the best way I can put it at the moment.

Also, nothing that I have is secretive, I just call it Jing Xin Shen Gong: Pure Heart Spiritual Cultivation. Basically begins with mastering structure/form, cultivating the body, rid it of toxins, develop concentration power by cultivating the mind through cultivation of the Buddha Dharma and Daoist teachings, etc, etc, etc.

Peace and Blessings White Tiger!

Lin

Ah... Thank you very much, I identify very well with what you said and now understand the definition of Wai gong. (A word term I'm apparently I'm not nearly as familiar with as i thought when i posted)

Yep, Nei Gong is not a word I'm unfamiliar with. Although I still thank you for taking the time to explain the generalization of the word Nei Gong and what it means.

Thank you for taking the time to post it has helped.

Peace and blessings

Lin

P.S. I didn't mean to say claim that these practices apprenticed from your teachers are special nor secretive (or both) but rather when the student is ready to learn such a thing (and most likely in need of the teachings) thing i'm sure you'd be more then happy to teach them.

Ah... Thank you very much, I identify very well with what you said and now understand the definition of Wai gong. (A word term I'm apparently I'm not nearly as familiar with as i thought when i posted)

Yep, Nei Gong is not a word I'm unfamiliar with. Although I still thank you for taking the time to explain the generalization of the word Nei Gong and what it means.

Thank you for taking the time to post it has helped.

Peace and blessings

Lin

P.S. I didn't mean to say claim that these practices apprenticed from your teachers are special nor secretive (or both) but rather when the student is ready to learn such a thing (and most likely in need of the teachings) thing i'm sure you'd be more then happy to teach them.

Peace and Blessings White Tiger.

You are right indeed. When the student is ready the methods will be offered! ^_^

HI Mike,

I am an instructor in SSTT. Spirit is in the name for a couple reasons. San Shen refers to the "three spirits" of the three dan tiens. SSTT uses all three dan tiens simultaneously. Spirit is used because the original Shang Ch'ing art that SSTT is based upon was orginally used by the Shang Ch'ing Monks to fight evil spirits. The Chi that is used in spirit fighting is a special type of chi that slices through the aura and penetrates deeply into the body. Since the goal is to fight against a disembodied spirit, this type of Chi power tends to slice through the aura shield of some other types of internal martial arts. I hope that answers your question.

Inside Kung Fu Magazine is coming out with an article on SSTT in the May edition. We are offering free demonstration seminars.

ireAQ0Te2Qk

Yeh this certainly answers my question thank you ! Also big thanx to Portcraig for directing you here :)

This seems very intresting and when looking at the video's also powerfull. It also seems Sifu Hata knows what he is doing. Its a pitty you are located at the other side of the world.

You have an certified instructor in Europe somewhere ?

Kind regards, Mike

Yeh this certainly answers my question thank you ! Also big thanx to Portcraig for directing you here :)

This seems very intresting and when looking at the video's also powerfull. It also seems Sifu Hata knows what he is doing. Its a pitty you are located at the other side of the world.

You have an certified instructor in Europe somewhere ?

Kind regards, Mike

We do not have an instructor in Europe yet...

Thanks for your interest,

Mike

Yes,

Northern Preying Mantis

Tai Mantis and Nei Gong

Qigong (many flavors)

Bagua, Zhan Zhuang, Nei Gong (learned in China).

I have been studying to-shi-do (stephen hayes version of ninjutsu) for about 6 or 7 years, can't remeber, and chen style taiji for about 4 years. I think that martial arts was the inital spark that lead me to explore eastern philosophy.

Taiji phoenix

I tried Karate training only two or three times, got minor health issues from it. ... Hint of fate? :huh:

Obviously it makes sense to do internal first, in order to be more useful for external, should I decide to start practicing martial arts one day. But I'm in fact more fascinated by Parkour, Tricking, Capoeira and such.

I have been studying to-shi-do (stephen hayes version of ninjutsu) for about 6 or 7 years, can't remeber, and chen style taiji for about 4 years. I think that martial arts was the inital spark that lead me to explore eastern philosophy.

Taiji phoenix

I really like To Shin Do. There are a lot of people who have a problem with Hayes, and a lot of people who have a problem with just the mere whispering of "ninjutsu".... but I did karate for many years, and I decided to get the first set of DVD's in the distance learning course, and I was really amazed by what I saw. It was really practical, talking about what you do in different situations, variations on techniques, all kinds of stuff.

It was totally different from the ways a lot of martial arts are taught (your typical TMA, anyway), but what surprised me even more is that the To Shin Do training actually helped me find more applications in the martial arts forms I had done in the past, and in the forms I would later come across.

So if anyone else out there is thinking about To Shin Do, I recommend it!

Yin and Cheng Bagua

Heibei (and some Shanxi) Xingyi

Yang style Tai Chi

And Sung Shi Wu Dang Chuan

So I went to check out Sifu Hata's SSTT class yesterday. I was skeptical initially. Sifu Hata was very nice and friendly (as was Portcraig who I met there) and he hits HARD- I got to experience a few hits from him and, thoug he was very relaxed and I think was just using a small percentage of his capabilities, they were very hard and powerful and seemed to possibly have an unusual flavor/effect. I was very intrigued by the art and theory that I saw, felt, and heard and will most likely be joining the class shortly. Thumbs up!

I really like To Shin Do. There are a lot of people who have a problem with Hayes, and a lot of people who have a problem with just the mere whispering of "ninjutsu".... but I did karate for many years, and I decided to get the first set of DVD's in the distance learning course, and I was really amazed by what I saw. It was really practical, talking about what you do in different situations, variations on techniques, all kinds of stuff.

It was totally different from the ways a lot of martial arts are taught (your typical TMA, anyway), but what surprised me even more is that the To Shin Do training actually helped me find more applications in the martial arts forms I had done in the past, and in the forms I would later come across.

So if anyone else out there is thinking about To Shin Do, I recommend it!

I used to practise Bujinkan for a few years and I really like the To Shin Do that Hayes has formed. Well I've seen a few videos and like Ninjutsu it seems a really fluid and natural system.

Edited by Yuen Biao

HI Mike,

I am an instructor in SSTT. Spirit is in the name for a couple reasons. San Shen refers to the "three spirits" of the three dan tiens. SSTT uses all three dan tiens simultaneously. Spirit is used because the original Shang Ch'ing art that SSTT is based upon was orginally used by the Shang Ch'ing Monks to fight evil spirits. The Chi that is used in spirit fighting is a special type of chi that slices through the aura and penetrates deeply into the body. Since the goal is to fight against a disembodied spirit, this type of Chi power tends to slice through the aura shield of some other types of internal martial arts. I hope that answers your question.

Inside Kung Fu Magazine is coming out with an article on SSTT in the May edition. We are offering free demonstration seminars.

ireAQ0Te2Qk

I have many years experience as a mixed martial artist. Recently I focused my studies in Iron Shirt Chi Gung. The advantages is knowing the best of kung fu, karate, jujitsu, muay thai and boxing to attack and defend. When I developed my Iron Shirt Chi, I can do same demos on video YouTube. I can handle full blasted hits and kicks and it has no effect on me. I am not saying I'm the best in MMA. I can handle any street fighters. I worked as a bouncer and bodyguard, very easy work for me.

I hear what you say. What can your art do for someone like me? How do you guard from my kicks, hits and Iron shirt chi gung? How does your attacks pass through my Iron Shirt Chi? I am not trying to make challenges. I ask you questions to understand.

I used to practise Bujinkan for a few years and I really like the To Shin Do that Hayes has formed. Well I've seen a few videos and like Ninjutsu it seems a really fluid and natural system.

I haven't had any experience with the Bujinkan, I've seen some stuff, but I'm not one to make comparisons, so I'll just say what I know about Hayes' stuff.

I think I should say the only experience with To Shin Do I've had has been with DVD's. However, I've experienced dozens of martial arts, with dozens of teachers, in various schools throughout my life. Some of them taught good techniques, but had really sketchy vibes (as in, they liked to hurt people for fun), others just didn't know what they were doing. Hayes seemed like a guy who knew what he was doing and didn't enjoy hurting people for fun, so a double plus!

The other thing that he stressed with To Shin Do is it's not about forms or techniques, but about "answers to questions." What are you most likely to encounter in a real situation? Someone grabs you. What do you do? What if he does this? What if he's bigger? What if you are against a wall and can't do this? He shows a technique, but then immediately after follows up with "let's look at what else might happen...." I've found a lot of teachers I've had would show a technique, and then a student would say, "what about this...?" I found with Hayes that the answers to those questions came naturally, and realistically.

As for traditional stuff, he does teach that at higher levels, the forms, katas, weapons, stuff like that. But for the people just getting the started, the first major emphasis is: what are you going to REALLY see? And what can you realistically do without having to dump 10 years into body conditioning to be able to do a specific technique?

Again, I'm not trying to make comparisons, just describing it how it is. And you're right about it being fluid and natural, a lot of it is about natural body movement that everyone can do naturally already as soon as they walk in the door (or watch the DVD as it were :))

I should also say that I've had no problems learning from the DVD. Anyone with enough martial arts experience to know how to move their body, look at their alignment, make changes, observe a technique, then recreate it, know distancing/timing with an opponent, can learn this stuff, even better if you have a training buddy that can do that stuff too.

I have many years experience as a mixed martial artist. Recently I focused my studies in Iron Shirt Chi Gung. The advantages is knowing the best of kung fu, karate, jujitsu, muay thai and boxing to attack and defend. When I developed my Iron Shirt Chi, I can do same demos on video YouTube. I can handle full blasted hits and kicks and it has no effect on me. I am not saying I'm the best in MMA. I can handle any street fighters. I worked as a bouncer and bodyguard, very easy work for me.

I hear what you say. What can your art do for someone like me? How do you guard from my kicks, hits and Iron shirt chi gung? How does your attacks pass through my Iron Shirt Chi? I am not trying to make challenges. I ask you questions to understand.

How does your attacks pass through my Iron Shirt Chi?

For more info, you can contact me through my website http://www.SpiritTao.com

Edited by fiveelementtao

The Spirit Fighting Chi has a very high vibrational rate and is specifically designed to slice through and destroy these kinds of armor.

In my experience, the people with the strongest physical and energetic armor experience more pain from the spirit fighting hits. It only takes one light tap to put a big Muscly or external chi kung type on the ground.

The technique at 1:59 ? Explain what makes this a light tap? He's just standing there? Also @ 2:15 is that considered a light tap?

Spectrum

The technique at 1:59 ? Explain what makes this a light tap? He's just standing there? Also @ 2:15 is that considered a light tap?

Spectrum

For more info, please contact me through my website http://www.SpiritTao.com

Edited by fiveelementtao

I did several years of Yang style Tai Chi back in the 70's along with a bit of Hsing I.

I have recently started training Tai Chi again.

It's good to be back...

Charlie

5ELEMENT,

Why not put up a spirit fighting light tap demo rather try and show on a martial arts level to us guys, ive been teaching and studying Chinese Kung Fu for close to 30 yrs now I know more then enough to see the differences all your strikes on your clip the arms was large intestine 10 which will paralyse the arm and weaken the legs all you need is a good kick in the san yin jiao point (spelling) or tripple yin crossing together and that will usually take out a person. But I would like to see your spirit fighting strike without using martial arts skills if that is what you are saying you do have and use to beat Iron Body skills.

I have cotton and iron body how would it go against a cotton body after I take it and ground it (earth) or release to heaven or even back into you?

Iron Man,

What style do you do of Iron Body?

Regards

Spirit Ape