Stigweard

Do You Train Martial Arts?

The Martial Arts Poll  

110 members have voted

1. 1. Are You Currently Actively Involved in Martial Arts Training?

• Yes (post which type below)
    • No

Internal and External kung fu Buddhist and Daoist arts 25yrs closed door disciple of both Masters

Fought full contact Kung Fu and kickboxing 80's-90's

Currently entering judo/BJJ comps 1yr

Um...

(preparing to open up can of worms)

Isn't all TKD really a blend of Shotokan and Northern Kung Fu?

Well, I honestly don't know. I've never much looked into other styles of TKD. And I think that Chang Moo Kwan might have at one point at least been considered Kong Soo Do. Anyway, I will agree that I've seen a friend doing traditional karate and that it was almost identical. In CMK, the Kung Fu-ish forms start at around 4th Gup I think, and I'm no blackbelt yet so I've only seen a few. :D

Um...

(preparing to open up can of worms)

Isn't all TKD really a blend of Shotokan and Northern Kung Fu? Despite Korean explanations that Korean arts are indigenous.

I once had a friend who was a multi ethnic black belt (high level in Karate, Kung Fu and TKD/Korean arts) he showed me a set of Shotokan forms that were 80% identical to the modern TKD 8 forms (Taeguk sets).

Anyway on to my resume, which I have probably posted before, but I can't control my EGO so here goes another version.

TKD Steady from the age of 16 for about 25 years, then intermittent til present. Reached 4th Dan. Mainly Jido Kwan with focus on Olympic style sparring for a large chunk of that. Teacher was black belt in Judo and Hapkido as well as Gojo Ryu (sp?) so when we got to a certain point we started training very non-sport material.

learned to roll and fall with Judo when I was 8. Brief training in Karate when 12 (nasty mean mofo of a teacher, didn't like him, liked the Karate)

Began study of Qi gong (back then we called it Chi Kung :lol: ) when I was about 21-22.

Started being informally trained in Bagua and Hsing I when I was about 30, which was when I really began to question some of my earlier Chi Kung training. THis teacher was very advanced Chen Taiji practitioner and I didn't think I would ever be good enough to approach that training.

Finally graduated to Zhaobao Taiji (aka Wudang He style Taiji) over the last 2.5 years. Now I have the whole form and can really start learning it.

If I had to fight it would probably look like Taekwon/Bagua but I am far to spiritually advanced to be in such a situation ;)

Craig

yeah TKD (well the ITF style anyway) comes from shotokan and follows alot of the forms up to about 1st degree black belt, reportedly the kicks come from Taekyon but that history has been all but lost with TKD practioners going for the flashy sport type kicking seen in the competitions, i have heard that the most direct line to traditonal Taekyon can be found in hapkido styles these days

Wing Chun Kung Fu -10yrs, 37 Form Taiji Quan - 8yrs, Qi Gong: Wai / Nei Gong 19, or 20yrs.

Peace,

Lin

Edited by 林愛偉

Training in martial arts since 1987. Practicing and teaching various IMA.

Stay safe,

HG

Edited by HupGerk

I trained with Pendekar William Sanders in Indonesian Pencak Silat for about 10 years. http://www.cimande.com/

The last couple of months I have trained with Sifu Richard Hata in a martial art called San Shen Tan Tien Kung Fu which is Taoist spirit fighting. It is interesting because it uses metaphysical energy for the blows which to me feel like a lead pipe hitting the bone. The videos on the website do not do justice to the art because you have to feel it to believe it. They are not blows using chi energy from the lower Dan Tien. It uses metaphysical energy from the upper Dan Tien.

http://www.sstt-institute.org/

http://www.youtube.com/user/SSTTInstitute (The video about spirit fighting talks about the history.)

Edited by portcraig

I trained with Pendekar William Sanders in Indonesian Pencak Silat for about 10 years. http://www.cimande.com/

The last couple of months I have trained with Sifu Richard Hata in a martial art called San Shen Tan Tien Kung Fu which is Taoist spirit fighting. It is interesting because it uses metaphysical energy for the blows which to me feel like a lead pipe hitting the bone. The videos on the website do not do justice to the art because you have to feel it to believe it. They are not blows using chi energy from the lower Dan Tien. It uses metaphysical energy from the upper Dan Tien.

http://www.sstt-institute.org/

http://www.youtube.com/user/SSTTInstitute (The video about spirit fighting talks about the history.)

I noticed this teacher's website before and it looked very intresting. Can you give more information about the energy used and why the word spirit comes in the name ?

Regards, Mike

I'll try and get fiveelementtao (who posts on this forum) to answer some of the questions since he one of the teachers.

The energy seems to come from the upper Dan Tien. I learned Red Phoenix from Max and it seems to tap into that same energy. Max by the way studied martial arts from the same lineage.

They use spirit in the name because the original purpose of the art was to fight evil spirits.

Edited by portcraig

Currently studying Taijiquan and a bit of Xingyi and Bagua.

Previously studied Wing Chun, Shorinjiryu Kenyukai karate, and some Japanese sword stuff.

I noticed this teacher's website before and it looked very intresting. Can you give more information about the energy used and why the word spirit comes in the name ?

Regards, Mike

(edit) I can no longer represent SSTT in good conscience. Dr. Hata has brought too much negative attention to the Lum Lineage. He has been acting without authorization from his teachers.

Edited by fiveelementtao

I dont believe you......

I would love a free demo I live in Australia?

:D

I am no longer associated with SSTT...

Edited by fiveelementtao

If there is a member of the Tao Bums forum who lives near Los Angeles, and who would like to meet Sifu Hata and get a demonstration, and feel the energy, I am sure it could be arranged. Then they could report back to the forum and let them know if it is real or not.

Wing Chun Kung Fu -10yrs, 37 Form Taiji Quan - 8yrs, Qi Gong: Wai / Nei Gong 19, or 20yrs.

Peace,

Lin

Thank you very much for your post,

I am a little perplexed when you say Wai Gong. What is your definition of Wai Gong is since you practice one?

I ask only because I've known a few different types of definitions of such a practice.

May I ask what type of Nei Gong did you practice for so long.

I very much enjoyed watching your Sticky Hands video on Post #47 and wondering what lineage of Wing Chun do you practice?

Thanks,

/bow with respect

Peace,

wT

How did I know you would say all that? :rolleyes:

No one allowed to question your clip?

So your 3 dan tian power must be high level like John Chang he uses his Lower DanTian, imagine if he uses more Dan Tians? So you have powers of John Chang or above him?

Ape

How did I know you would say all that? :rolleyes:

No one allowed to question your clip?

So your 3 dan tian power must be high level like John Chang he uses his Lower DanTian, imagine if he uses more Dan Tians? So you have powers of John Chang or above him?

Ape

Just out of curiosity, Ape. How old are you?

Answer my questions? You use 3 Dan Tians so You must have enormous power and look a million bucks fit as a fiddle? :P

Age why does it matter I only said I dont believe why you so upset that I said this? If you have joined the 3 treasures (Dan Tian) you would beyond this.....

Ape

Answer my questions? You use 3 Dan Tians so You must have enormous power and look a million bucks fit as a fiddle? :P

Age why does it matter I only said I dont believe why you so upset that I said this? If you have joined the 3 treasures (Dan Tian) you would beyond this.....

Ape

If you asked me with sincerity or even honest skepticism, I would answer you to the best of my knowledge. But I am not going to continue to knowingly give you ammunition when your main goal is to launch cheap shots from behind the safety of your computer screen. If you are so interested, come and meet us in person and decide for yourself. But be sure to have your parents' permission first. We can't demonstrate on minors.

Edited by fiveelementtao

Hahahaha okay!!!!

You pay for my ticket ill come over save you the hassel but as long as I can them demonstrate the same thing back to you my way? :lol:

Im serious if you have connected all 3 dan tians properly you wouldnt be here at TTB and begging people bascially to come to a free demo as long as there is 10 people ready for a seminar hahahah wow you really can talk B.S!!

Thank you very much for your post,

I am a little perplexed when you say Wai Gong. What is your definition of Wai Gong is since you practice one?

I ask only because I've known a few different types of definitions of such a practice.

May I ask what type of Nei Gong did you practice for so long.

I very much enjoyed watching your Sticky Hands video on Post #47 and wondering what lineage of Wing Chun do you practice?

Thanks,

/bow with respect

Peace,

wT

Wai Gong/Nei Gong, nothing special about the names. The practices I have are not taught commercially and even in books. They are practices learned through meditation and personal apprenticing with my teachers.

My Wing Chun lineages are of Jiu Wan, to Jason Lau, to Alan Goldberg- Jiu Wan Lineage. The other lineage we hold is from Yip Man, Moy Yat, Alan Goldberg- Yip Man. Jiu Wan was a student of Jiu Chow who studied with Yip Man under Chan Hua Shun.

Peace and Blessings,

Lin

I do have one special power which I will use. I can make you disappear. Ok lets see, I click on "my controls" and now click on "manage ignored users" then I enter Child Monkey oh, I mean "Spirit Ape" then click "update ignored users" and Presto! Spirit Ape has now disappeared. No more throwing feces on the cage walls. Smells better now.

Edited by fiveelementtao

Portcraig said,

If there is a member of the Tao Bums forum who lives near Los Angeles, and who would like to meet Sifu Hata and get a demonstration, and feel the energy, I am sure it could be arranged. Then they could report back to the forum and let them know if it is real or not.

That would be a great opportunity. Too much stuff is located in California...and too much Scotty is located in the Great Lakes area.

Ape,

When are your DVDs coming out?! I'm not asking to make you look bad in any way...but I'm really interested to see the stuff you know!

If you asked me with sincerity or even honest skepticism, I would answer you to the best of my knowledge. But I am not going to continue to knowingly give you ammunition when your main goal is to launch cheap shots from behind the safety of your computer screen. If you are so interested, come and meet us in person and decide for yourself. But be sure to have your parents' permission first. We can't demonstrate on minors.

@fiveelementtao Where r u located in US. I'll come and visit you if that's ok ....

Edited by orb