Sign in to follow this  
thatnarrowfellow

Jerry Alan Johnson

Hello All,

So I stumbled across the website of Dr. Jerry Alan Johnson (http://www.daoistmagic.com/) the other day, and wanted to see if any one else knew of his work. Some of his books look pretty interesting, but I wanted to see if anyone could give a recommendation, good or bad, before I sunk the money into one of them. Some of them are pretty pricey, after all.

Thanks a lot!

- Carl

I know he was retired for a while. He founded the first medical chikung insitute here in the states and based it upon the curriculum used in beijing. He specialized in energetic onocology at the medical chikung university in beijing.

Medical chikung has been known to cure cancers that have not reached an advanced stage where it has spread to a large area of the body. What I say is not teacher worship, and has been proven on many occasions.

In recent years he has focused on the energetic-form principles of daoist magic as a hobby as well as professionally? I can only guess about that.

Guest paul walter

Hello All,

So I stumbled across the website of Dr. Jerry Alan Johnson (http://www.daoistmagic.com/) the other day, and wanted to see if any one else knew of his work. Some of his books look pretty interesting, but I wanted to see if anyone could give a recommendation, good or bad, before I sunk the money into one of them. Some of them are pretty pricey, after all.

Thanks a lot!

- Carl

his books are spectacular in their breadth of technique/research. I trust his work completely The concepts/information are so dense and so many in the 5 volume set that I have no way of verifying the veracity of techniques and outcome. Still, because of the dedication of the guy I trust what he has written is truth. He and Bruce Fantzis are the only two 'whitey' tao practicers in print who have impressed me by their experience and understanding in the healing fields. Also a lot of the books' content just describes technique without too much teaching of application-this would come during the study of the courses that these people put on. The books are essentially textbooks-but very handy ones. Paul

Had the chance to look at one of his compilation medical chi gung books and was impressed with the breadth and depth as well. Expensive though. I do not own any of his work because of the prices.

My understanding is that he doesn't teach anymore. He sold his franchise operation. I think Bernard Shannon runs it now.

The text is impressive but doesn't mean a thing if the practitioner hasn't developed an understanding of energy for themselves; if a person can not manipulate energy no amount of text in medical qigong will have any meaning.

Sifu Johnson did come out of retirement to teach a final Doctoral program which he is including many arts that are currently disappearing. His focus at this point is on Mysticism.

His books are great and I highly recommend them. While it is true that one needs a feel for energy to work with his materials his books are loaded with the qigong and shengong to bring that about. I would still suggest a good teacher as you can certainly hurt yourself very badly with qigong if done improperly.

Yes Sifu Bernard Shannon is now the Dean of the International Institute of Medical Qigong.

Blessings to all

If you have the money, his books are worth it - both the Medical Qigong and IMA texts. As noted previously, they are text books, so they do cost. If you intend to go into the field, or would like a much deeper understanding about the subject, I would strongly consider it.

Excuse me, if my question doesn't fit precisely with the topic.

I do have some books of J.A.J, the 6 first volumes of "Pakua Chang Chi Kung" that he published years ago now.

It seems to be a lot of training about martial Chi kung, and some health routines too (a lot of stance training/standing meditation).

Does a student of him in this forum could tell me if I really can start with those books ?

I think it's quite dangerous without a teacher by my side, but these books were sold for that precise goal of "learning alone" at that time !

I'm hesitating to start or not ... could be great for my martial practice ... Might I have your opinion ?

Thanks

Sign in to follow this