Sign in to follow this  
mantis

grip strength

i know there are some martial artists on here so i thought i'd share this. i was reading an article over @ t-nation on how to increase your chin ups and he mentioned grip strength. he recommends using a brand of grippers called "Captains of Crush" that come in 10 different levels, starting at 100lbs of resistance.

they're about $20 each and you can find them easily on amazon

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss_gw?url=s...amp;x=0&y=0

i know there are some martial artists on here so i thought i'd share this. i was reading an article over @ t-nation on how to increase your chin ups and he mentioned grip strength. he recommends using a brand of grippers called "Captains of Crush" that come in 10 different levels, starting at 100lbs of resistance.

they're about $20 each and you can find them easily on amazon

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss_gw?url=s...amp;x=0&y=0

A great product. The actual home site is ironmind.com they have alot of great products.

The captains of crush models range from 60lbs up to 365lbs.

Edited by h.uriahr

yeah, i believe only 5 people have ever closed the #4 they have, insane!

Strongman Magnus Samuelsson KILLS KILLS #4...So then I'm guessing that he could crush the bones in the hand during a handshake?

Sounds like a good product I might actually find myself buying a one or two... and trust me i never spend money on such things...

Finger Pushups do similar strengthening of the grip... well your forarms will definately get huge from doing more and more Finger tip Pushups.

You can start with using all of your finger tips and then go to do less at a time... Hopfully anyone trying this can do this to at least three fingers (Thumb, Pointer Finger and the Middle Finger)

Two main Variations you can do, when doing the pushups, Locked knuckles(joints) or unlocked meaning you have to keep the strength of your fingers in control and not have them locked. The Healthier way is claimed to be to have them unlocked... Its also harder... although if your finger bones are healthy enough locking them after a few years shouldn't really screw your fingers up. (Although i say healthy enough i also keep in mind that i only say after a FEW years)

Those look intense.

I've used the Gripmaster series. While not as pound-intensive as the Captains of Crush, the Gripmasters allow you work individual fingers. I love mine. I crunch them when I drive. I may have to look at the CoC to add to my "kung-fu grip"!

Captains of Crush RULE!!!! Those are BY FAR the best grippers I have ever seen, hands down. I have the trainer, #1, and #2...though I dont even use the #2, havent for a while....I forgot what the grip pressure is to close the #2 but its damn hard. They since came out with a 'sport' model that has an 80lb close to it, might not be a bad idea, that would be getting down into the range of normal grippers you can buy at a sports store.

( :lol: #2 is a 195lb grip - no wonder I cant do it hahaha...I normally just use my Trainer (100) and #1 (140lb)...)

They're available on www.ironmind.com - they have lots of very good products there, ingenious things you dont normally find - but lots of them are super heavy duty things that you'd really need to be into bodybuilding to have any interest in. They have a wide range of grip training products and even a hand health section. I also bought the headstrap fit for hercules a few years back, its an awesome neck trainer...but I barely use any weight on it at all, when I do use it.

The only thing I dont see on there that I picked up a while back are their 'eagle claw' pullup trainers - basically loops of lifting strap material that you fix around a pullup bar, lets you do pullups just using your fingers, can fit any knuckle you want in there. Those you need to be careful with, I injured myself going a little crazy with them a couple years back.

I also have Captains of Crush 80, 100, and 140 lbs. Too much fun, especially giving them to unsuspecting friends to try out.

Captains of Crush RULE!!!! Those are BY FAR the best grippers I have ever seen, hands down. I have the trainer, #1, and #2...though I dont even use the #2, havent for a while....I forgot what the grip pressure is to close the #2 but its damn hard. They since came out with a 'sport' model that has an 80lb close to it, might not be a bad idea, that would be getting down into the range of normal grippers you can buy at a sports store.

( :lol: #2 is a 195lb grip - no wonder I cant do it hahaha...I normally just use my Trainer (100) and #1 (140lb)...)

They're available on www.ironmind.com - they have lots of very good products there, ingenious things you dont normally find - but lots of them are super heavy duty things that you'd really need to be into bodybuilding to have any interest in. They have a wide range of grip training products and even a hand health section. I also bought the headstrap fit for hercules a few years back, its an awesome neck trainer...but I barely use any weight on it at all, when I do use it.

The only thing I dont see on there that I picked up a while back are their 'eagle claw' pullup trainers - basically loops of lifting strap material that you fix around a pullup bar, lets you do pullups just using your fingers, can fit any knuckle you want in there. Those you need to be careful with, I injured myself going a little crazy with them a couple years back.

they have "mini" levels now, like 1, then 1.5, 2, 2.5, etc. to make the transitions easier.

and yeah... samuelsson could probably crush someones head, that guy is nuts.

These are some great grippers! I have the #1, #2, and am working on the #3 right now brutal workouts. Another thing to help with grip is levering also called sledge hammer training. I had an old barbell that I wasn't using anymore so cut it into 24 inch piece and the other was I think 36 inches or lil bit longer, with that I clamp on a 5lb weight or more to the end and do various exercises (holding bar at 1 end and lifting up/down like a handshake, helicopters, rotating side to side etc)

Personally I found that just training the grippers few times a week I wasn't making great gains once I started doing the levering my grip increased alot. Oh and if you get a chance try to watch Magnus Samuelsson The worlds strongest arms dvd, shows various clips of how he trains and everything that man is a beast !!

oh forgot to add he was also in Sweden's Dancing with the stars :P

Magnus Dancing with the stars

Edited by crippledhobo

i got advice on another forum about how instead of doing reps with the grippers you should do negatives. as in, close the gripper than release it as slow as possible.

Sign in to follow this