Sign in to follow this  
Zenwind

Moon Risings & Phases

Below, I have provided links to find the times of Moon-rise or general info on phases. The Moon is an integral part of my aesthetic and religious life, and I want to share this info with many of you who might not be accustomed to watching her mysterious appearances and wanderings across the skies. She is elusive, ephemeral and shy. It is especially difficult to keep track of the Moon's cycles if you are in a city with its lights and buildings. But you can often sneak a peek if you know when and where to look.

For over three decades, I have tried to schedule my mountaineering trips and backyard bivouacs on Full Moon phases. (The week of First Quarter through Full is best.) The weather, however, is not so easily scheduled.

I was out bivouacking under this last weekend's Full Moon. I feel bad that I did not beforehand remind folks about this great September Moon. Tonight, the Moon is late-rising and is Waning Gibbous with only 81% illuminated and shrinking. So, consider this my atonement. Here are my recommended websites:

For daily and weekly purposes, this is my primary site for Moon phases and for local weather: WeatherUnderground.

http://www.wunderground.com

Just plug in your zip code or city info. There is an astronomy option, which displays times of sunrise, Moon-rise, etc., plus dates of the four phases ahead. E.g., tonight will be clear in my area; the sun is setting at 7:15pm EDT, but the Moon will not rise until 9:04pm EDT. Therefore, if I am hiking to a bivouac after sundown, I should bring a flashlight, as the first couple of hours will be Moonless and dark. But the great Orb of the Night will rise thereafter. I will be sitting, facing east, in a front-row seat.

Phases of the Moon tables (through 2010). U.S. Naval Observatory (USNO). These do not tell you the time of rise, but the exact time of phase. Make sure you scroll down to the correct year.

http://aa.usno.navy.mil/data/docs/MoonPhase.html

USNO Data Services. More astronomical info than I will ever need. Sunrise times, Moon-rise times, etc.

http://aa.usno.navy.mil/data/

The four phases of the Moon mark Buddhist observances. Gotama the ascetic became The Buddha under a Full Moon. Taoist and Ch'an imagery in poetry and painting is illuminated by the Moon. The ancient Chinese Mid-Autumn Festival is a Moon observance. Humanity has marked these celestial movements for millennia. I invite you to watch the Moon with me, even if your spot is far distant from mine. Enjoy.

"Climb high. Watch Moon."

-Zenwind.

Hey Zenwind,

I lived according to the tides for about a year up in alaska and ever since have been very aware of the moon... even in the city. I cut my hair and nails and used to plant according to the moon. I don't plant much any more.

Lately I have been teaching myself constellations and locating them... have you come across any good star maps in your moon wanderings?

Below, I have provided links to find the times of Moon-rise or general info on phases.  The Moon is an integral part of my aesthetic and religious life, and I want to share this info with many of you who might not be accustomed to watching her mysterious appearances and wanderings across the skies.  She is elusive, ephemeral and shy.  It is especially difficult to keep track of the Moon's cycles if you are in a city with its lights and buildings.  But you can often sneak a peek if you know when and where to look. 

For over three decades, I have tried to schedule my mountaineering trips and backyard bivouacs on Full Moon phases.  (The week of First Quarter through Full is best.)  The weather, however, is not so easily scheduled. 

I was out bivouacking under this last weekend's Full Moon.  I feel bad that I did not beforehand remind folks about this great September Moon.  Tonight, the Moon is late-rising and is Waning Gibbous with only 81% illuminated and shrinking.  So, consider this my atonement.  Here are my recommended websites: 

For daily and weekly purposes, this is my primary site for Moon phases and for local weather:  WeatherUnderground. 

Just plug in your zip code or city info.  There is an astronomy option, which displays times of sunrise, Moon-rise, etc., plus dates of the four phases ahead.  E.g., tonight will be clear in my area;  the sun is setting at 7:15pm EDT, but  the Moon will not rise until 9:04pm EDT.  Therefore, if I am hiking to a bivouac after sundown, I should bring a flashlight, as the first couple of hours will be Moonless and dark.  But the great Orb of the Night will rise thereafter.  I will be sitting, facing east, in a front-row seat. 

Phases of the Moon tables (through 2010).  U.S. Naval Observatory (USNO).  These do not tell you the time of rise, but the exact time of phase.  Make sure you scroll down to the correct year. 

USNO Data Services.  More astronomical info than I will ever need.  Sunrise times, Moon-rise times, etc. 

The four phases of the Moon mark Buddhist observances.  Gotama the ascetic became The Buddha under a Full Moon.  Taoist and Ch'an imagery in poetry and painting is illuminated by the Moon.  The ancient Chinese Mid-Autumn Festival is a Moon observance.  Humanity has marked these celestial movements for millennia.  I invite you to watch the Moon with me, even if your spot is far distant from mine.  Enjoy. 

"Climb high.  Watch Moon." 

-Zenwind.

7239[/snapback]

Below, I have provided links to find the times of Moon-rise or general info on phases.  The Moon is an integral part of my aesthetic and religious life, and I want to share this info with many of you who might not be accustomed to watching her mysterious appearances and wanderings across the skies.  She is elusive, ephemeral and shy.  It is especially difficult to keep track of the Moon's cycles if you are in a city with its lights and buildings.  But you can often sneak a peek if you know when and where to look. 

For over three decades, I have tried to schedule my mountaineering trips and backyard bivouacs on Full Moon phases.  (The week of First Quarter through Full is best.)  The weather, however, is not so easily scheduled. 

I was out bivouacking under this last weekend's Full Moon.  I feel bad that I did not beforehand remind folks about this great September Moon.  Tonight, the Moon is late-rising and is Waning Gibbous with only 81% illuminated and shrinking.  So, consider this my atonement.  Here are my recommended websites: 

For daily and weekly purposes, this is my primary site for Moon phases and for local weather:  WeatherUnderground. 

Just plug in your zip code or city info.  There is an astronomy option, which displays times of sunrise, Moon-rise, etc., plus dates of the four phases ahead.  E.g., tonight will be clear in my area;  the sun is setting at 7:15pm EDT, but  the Moon will not rise until 9:04pm EDT.  Therefore, if I am hiking to a bivouac after sundown, I should bring a flashlight, as the first couple of hours will be Moonless and dark.  But the great Orb of the Night will rise thereafter.  I will be sitting, facing east, in a front-row seat. 

Phases of the Moon tables (through 2010).  U.S. Naval Observatory (USNO).  These do not tell you the time of rise, but the exact time of phase.  Make sure you scroll down to the correct year. 

USNO Data Services.  More astronomical info than I will ever need.  Sunrise times, Moon-rise times, etc. 

The four phases of the Moon mark Buddhist observances.  Gotama the ascetic became The Buddha under a Full Moon.  Taoist and Ch'an imagery in poetry and painting is illuminated by the Moon.  The ancient Chinese Mid-Autumn Festival is a Moon observance.  Humanity has marked these celestial movements for millennia.  I invite you to watch the Moon with me, even if your spot is far distant from mine.  Enjoy. 

"Climb high.  Watch Moon." 

-Zenwind.

7239[/snapback]

Yup, its all good.

The whole Islamic world follows the Lunar calendar.

Right now we are gearing up for the month of fasting (Ramadan).

The sighting of the new moon is anticipated to be around Oct 4....

Peace and smiles

Alchemycal Monkey asked me:

<<Lately I have been teaching myself constellations and locating them... have you come across any good star maps in your moon wanderings?>>

Wow! Up in Alaska, you are getting right underneath the polar stars.

I really do not know of any good online star maps. Mine are old printed ones. (I guess I'm just hopelessly "old tech.") "Sky and Telescope" magazine or "Astronomy" magazine might have online resources.

The bright planet rising in the evening now is Jupiter. Saturn looks to be in Cancer, as I saw it early this morning before dawn. Leo is coming up after. The heavens are simply amazing.

Enjoy the skies.

"Climb high. Watch Moon."

-Zenwind.

Sign in to follow this