Apech

The Emerald Tablet

In the end I sent a copy to Sean to see if he can post it without probs.

I wonder if there is a FU for successful posting - maybe I should buy one.

Meanwhile keep taking the tablets!

I tried to post my notes again but it didn't appear.

I shall start to become paranoid!

.... no, instead I post it for discussion on the discussion threads.

Edited by apepch7

I tried at least six times to post it here and then on the discussion forum. Sean emailed PM'd to say that I should email it to him - which I did - but I think too much expectation may have been built up now - its only a few notes to spark off a discussion about the ET. We could have that discussion anyway cos its freely available on the net anyway.

Cheers.

A.

I tried at least six times to post it here and then on the discussion forum. Sean emailed PM'd to say that I should email it to him - which I did - but I think too much expectation may have been built up now - its only a few notes to spark off a discussion about the ET. We could have that discussion anyway cos its freely available on the net anyway.

Cheers.

A.

Do you have a link? I used to read the Emerald Tablets of Toth, with commentary by Doreal. But is that the Emerald Tablets you refer do?

But is that the Emerald Tablets you refer do?

It's likely apepch7 means the other emerald tablet, the old one. In fact it's more than likely, it's true, without falsehood, certain, most certain! :lol:

This page collects many texts of the Tablet in question:

http://www.sacred-texts.com/alc/emerald.htm

This page has Rawn Clark's interesting commentary on it:

http://www.abardoncompanion.com/EmeraldTablet.html

but I think too much expectation may have been built up now - its only a few notes to spark off a discussion about the ET. We could have that discussion anyway cos its freely available on the net anyway.

I know but tbh it's not a subject I know anything about, and since I don't practice (what I would call) alchemy at the moment, I wasn't really thinking about it. But if you've been thinking about it perhaps you would spark something off in us all... I think it... likely. I thought it would be fun anyway.

How weird is that though, that it wouldn't post? Almost as if the computer elementals felt you were revealing too much heh heh :)

All best wishes,

~NeutralWire~

It's likely apepch7 means the other emerald tablet, the old one. In fact it's more than likely, it's true, without falsehood, certain, most certain! :lol:

This page collects many texts of the Tablet in question:

http://www.sacred-texts.com/alc/emerald.htm

This page has Rawn Clark's interesting commentary on it:

http://www.abardoncompanion.com/EmeraldTablet.html

I know but tbh it's not a subject I know anything about, and since I don't practice (what I would call) alchemy at the moment, I wasn't really thinking about it. But if you've been thinking about it perhaps you would spark something off in us all... I think it... likely. I thought it would be fun anyway.

How weird is that though, that it wouldn't post? Almost as if the computer elementals felt you were revealing too much heh heh :)

All best wishes,

~NeutralWire~

What I like about the ET is that it is a short summary of the whole path and can be taken to be equally true in terms of internal and external alchemy. Once you look at the ideas and images it contains it seems to be very much aligned to Ancient Egypt and hence an example of a genuine direct transmission of teachings - a lineage of sorts. This I think explains the Hermes Trismegistus attribution.

I have no idea why my posts won't work but since I have previously posted reasonably long articles on here with no probs. I have decided to take it that I shouldn't keep trying.

BTW from what I have read of Bardon, his treatment of the elements, the magnetizing and electrical fluids, the use of water (ordinary water) as a material which receives and holds mental/spiritual images/energy I would say that this is alchemy - using alchemy in the broad sense and not just weird chemistry.

In truth, certainly, and without doubt whatever is below is like that which is above, and whatever is above is like that which is below, to accomplish the miracles of one thing.

And just as all things proceed from the One, meditated by the One, so all things are born from this one thing by adaptation.

Its Father is the Sun and its Mother is the Moon. The Wind carries it in its belly. Its nurse is the earth.

It is the father of every miraculous work in the whole world. Its power is perfect if it is converted to earth. Separate the earth from the fire and the subtle from the gross, softly and with great prudence.

Ascend from earth to heaven and descend again from heaven to earth, and unite together the power of things superior and inferior.

In this way you will acquire the glory of the whole world and all darkness will leave you. This is the power of all powers, for it conquers everything subtle and penetrates everything solid.

Thus is the world created. From this, and in this way, wonders are made.

For this reason I am called Hermes Trismegistus, for I possess the three parts of wisdom of the whole world.

Perfect is what I have said of the work of the sun.

This is the version I like from the book "My heart my mother" by Alison Roberts.

In truth, certainly, and without doubt whatever is below is like that which is above, and whatever is above is like that which is below, to accomplish the miracles of one thing.

The threefold affirmation of the truth reflects the name of the author, Hermes Trismegistus, whose name in turn reflects the title of Thoth, thrice great. This is followed by the essential statement of correspondence between that which is above and that which is below. The reference is to heaven and earth. Here heaven means a state of equilibration of power and earth is the same power compacted or condensed into substantiality.

'...the miracles of one thing.'

The text makes a distinction between the One through the meditations of which everything comes into being and the 'one thing' which is the subject of Alchemy, that is the philosophers stone. The 'one thing' is something which brings about magical change and through which 'by adaptation' all things are born.

And just as all things proceed from the One, meditated by the One, so all things are born from this one thing by adaptation.

So if we ask the question, where do things come from, how do they arise, we are told that they arise because of the meditations, or thought of the One. The One, refers to the source or origin which religionists would call God and philosophers the absolute. We might compare this to the Hindu Brahman who is 'one without a second', that is not one as the head of a series but One as in there is no other. As we are considering how the One brings about 'things' through meditating, we could call this an infinite consciousness, where consciousness points, through the 'sci' root which means 'to cut', to the way in which this power divides itself to produce the variety of created forms.

Continuing the 'as above so below' theme the text then goes on to say that in addition to being produced by the self-division of the absolute, 'things' are brought about by the adaptation of the 'one thing'. In alchemy the 'one thing' or philosophers stone is said to be a substance in which all the four elements are brought together in perfect harmony. All other substances exhibit properties which reflect the configuration or inner stress of the four elements within them. For instance a substance may be solid (earth) and yet malleable (water) or give off gas (air) or be conflagrant (fire). Each chemical or substance will exhibit particular stresses of the elements. But in the case of the Stone the perfect balance of elements produces magical effects on anything with which it comes into contact. Hence the transformation of base metal to gold. In this sense the Stone is seen as the source of all other substances, like primal matter, in that all things are born from it. So we can see that its magical properties, its ability to bring about change relate to its primary nature.

Its Father is the Sun and its Mother is the Moon. The Wind carries it in its belly. Its nurse is the earth.

This goes some way to explain the nature of this 'one thing'. We already know that the four elements fire, water, air and earth are brought into harmony to bring it about and here the actual process is (very broadly) outlined. The 'parents', the Sun and Moon are in male/female polarity and represent conscious active will and passive responsive substance. The Sun could be said to be the vehicle of the element fire and the Moon rules the phasic nature of substance, the element water.

The will of the Sun lights on the substance of the water/moon, which acting as a kind of perfect recording medium (hence the existence of memory) holds the imprint of the Sun. The Wind is brought about by the movement of energy induced by the interaction of the polar Sun and Moon, whips up the image held and spins it (in its belly) in a kind of gestative process. Through this rotational action the substance begins to condense and is precipitated into earth, that is structured solidity.

This section is convincingly Egyptian in origin as it bears striking similarities to the Heliopolitan creation myth of Atum, Shu, Tefnut, Geb ... and so on.

It is the father of every miraculous work in the whole world. Its power is perfect if it is converted to earth. Separate the earth from the fire and the subtle from the gross, softly and with great prudence.

So this 'one thing' which perfectly reflects the powers of Sun, Moon, Wind and Earth is the cause of every miraculous work. It is the agent of magical transformation. Its power is said to be perfect if it converted to earth. This suggests that this 'one thing' exists at higher planes of existence but finds perfect completion when it manifests through earth. There then follows an instruction.

We are told to separate earth (i.e. substance) from fire (i.e. spirit) and the subtle from the gross ... softly with great prudence. That is gently and persistently. At first this seems at odds with the 'coming together' description of how the 'one thing' came into being. However we will see that the text is now giving practical advice from what might be called an existential point of view. In other words we, far from being in contact with the 'one thing' are dwelling in confusion and ignorance. The corollary of this is that the state of our beings and the state of the world we experience is a confused mixture of the elements. In order to begin to understand and see clearly we must first allow things to separate out so we can see the constituents for what they are.

Ascend from earth to heaven and descend again from heaven to earth, and unite together the power of things superior and inferior.

Having distilled the subtle form the gross a kind of system has been developed which goes from the grossest state of Earth where energies are compacted together in solid forms to the most subtle of Heaven (which we could think of as He-even where 'He' is the breath of spirit), where the energies are most subtly and evenly distributed and mutually interpenetrating. We are instructed to cycle between these states and thus through the various intermediary conditions. This is to unite the power of things superior and inferior. Again one might say why separate and then unite but the answer is that this is a process of distillation. By separating we are able to distinguish the power in the earth and also the power in heaven. This is one power and by understanding this we can unite these two realms. After cycling the energy properly we are able to unite it in the 'one thing'.

Again this has strong Egyptian flavour. In Egypt the resolution of dualities was a core theme. Reconciling Horus and Set, uniting the two lands, the two crowns, the two ladies and so on. The idea of cycling resembles the solar cycle which is the central theme of the New Kingdom underworld books (the Am Dwat or the Book of Nut for instance).

In this way you will acquire the glory of the whole world and all darkness will leave you. This is the power of all powers, for it conquers everything subtle and penetrates everything solid.

Glory is a reference to the luminosity gained through identification with the power that cycle.

Thus is the world created. From this, and in this way, wonders are made.

For this reason I am called Hermes Trismegistus, for I possess the three parts of wisdom of the whole world.

The name Hermes Trismegistus literally means Hermes thrice great. Hermes the Greek god of wisdom has the equivalent of Thoth in Egypt. Thoth had the title 'three times great'. So the writer is effectively identified as being the divine god of wisdom. In Egyptian thought the whole world had three parts, the heaven (Nut the sky), the earth (Geb) and the Underworld (Dwat). The underworld is the 'dimension' in which the sun and the dead pass through to be regenerated or reborn. It is an inner world and is sometimes called the pathways of Shu, Shu being the air or wind. So here the 'three parts of wisdom of the whole world' could refer to knowledge of these three realms.

Perfect is what I have said of the work of the sun.

As you can see the final words confirm that it is the solar cycle which is the central glyph to this work.

Posting in bits seems to be working!

Edited by apepch7

Yay! Here it is! And I was right... this is definitely going to spark more than any anonymous web page would have done by itself.

I agree with just about everything you wrote here and you have alot that I never saw.

First on this:

BTW from what I have read of Bardon, his treatment of the elements, the magnetizing and electrical fluids, the use of water (ordinary water) as a material which receives and holds mental/spiritual images/energy I would say that this is alchemy - using alchemy in the broad sense and not just weird chemistry.

Well I definitely agree in a certain sense. Whatever in IIH isn't basic to most paths is definitely Hermetic and has an alchemical flavour, as the two (alchemy and Hermetics) were more or less synonymous for hundreds and hundreds of years, which I'm sure you knew... but the actual 'alchemy' itself in Bardon's system (and I believe, generally) is much more an advanced thing. That is if you are talking about the philosopher's stone.

One day I hope to know more about it, but if Bardon had written anything on this subject it would have been the fifth book he wrote, beyond the three he did manage to write plus one more after that. So it would have been incredibly advanced. Also, the water magic and so forth that he talks about is not uncommon in other paths. Nonetheless the use of energies and so on is very much alchemical in the western Hermetic sense -- more on that below.

The Wind is brought about by the movement of energy induced by the interaction of the polar Sun and Moon, whips up the image held and spins it (in its belly) in a kind of gestative process. Through this rotational action the substance begins to condense and is precipitated into earth, that is structured solidity.

This section is convincingly Egyptian in origin as it bears striking similarities to the Heliopolitan creation myth of Atum, Shu, Tefnut, Geb ... and so on.

That myth hasn't really stuck in my mind. I'll look it up.

What's fascinating is, in the discussion following the article I wrote there was mention about the 'structure' of Bardon's elements. And it was said that the elements work precisely as you are saying here -- interaction of fire and water making air, all three condensing to earth. Adam Mizner pointed out that Air is more precisely a neutral between fire and water, but nonetheless, this matches what you are saying.

We are told to separate earth (i.e. substance) from fire (i.e. spirit) and the subtle (mental/emotional) from the gross (physical) ... softly with great prudence. That is gently and persistently. At first this seems at odds with the 'coming together' description of how the 'one thing' came into being. However we will see that the text is now giving practical advice from what might be called an existential point of view. In other words we, far from being in contact with the 'one thing' are dwelling in confusion and ignorance. The corollary of this is that the state of our beings and the state of the world we experience is a confused mixture of the elements. In order to begin to understand and see clearly we must first allow things to separate out so we can see the constituents for what they are.

Again I agree completely with your interpretation. There are those who say that the initial Bardon 'Soul Mirror' work, which involves looking at yourself in terms of what element forms what piece of your character, is the beginning of an analogous process in the human soul.

Having distilled the subtle form the gross a kind of system has been developed which goes from the grossest state of Earth where energies are compacted together in solid forms to the most subtle of Heaven (which we could think of as He-even where 'He' is the breath of spirit), where the energies are most subtly and evenly distributed and mutually interpenetrating. We are instructed to cycle between these states and thus through the various intermediary conditions. This is to unite the power of things superior and inferior. Again one might say why separate and then unite but the answer is that this is a process of distillation.

Again I think that's totally right. This is the process of Bardon's first two books (later stages thereof) in a nutshell as well, analogously. You separate out your soul bodies from your physical form, go a-wandering to take in each planetary sphere, and then bring the energies of those spheres back by means of evocation, thus 'earthing' them.

I was interested in the idea of the Solar Cycle too. In general though I'm not as up on mythological Egypt as I'd like. I will take a refresher. You've certainly made enough points to show a connection between the ET and Bardon. The Egyptianness thing might need more study on my part.

That's my reaction, anyway nice article and worth waiting for IMO.

All best wishes,

~NeutralWire~

Glad a relieved that the article finally posted itself and hope its not a big let down :) .

Just to add:

The reason I emphasis the alchemical nature of hermetic science is the following.

What the Emerald Tab. and Egyptian thought have in common is the affirmation of the basic tenet of 'as above so below'. This as I understand it is that reality is a continuum between the highest levels (of spirit) and the grossest levels (of matter) and that the form and nature of the way that this continuum expresses itself in anything from an idea to an object resonates and corresponds. This means even if we are dealing with the most mundane thing or activity then it corresponds with the highest spiritual actuality.

Nowadays we tend to see things as symbolic or representative because we have abstracted these ideas. So for instance if we consider the sun as 'representing' the Will then we make a distinction between the sun in sky and the sun we are thinking about. But the Egyptians made no such distinction. The visible sun was the actual god Ra or at least his body. This was not because they were naive and primitive but because they did not abstract. To understand this ask yourself the question 'why do I see a sun?' The answer is that the power that makes us, which we are, projects something about itself into our sensorium (sense world). The 'external' objective world is a projection by the creative power, to itself, expressing its own nature.

This continuum of power was called Atum (amongst other things) by the Egyptians. Atum's name means either 'the complete one' or the 'the being that both exists and doesn't exist' depending on how you read it. The way in which Atum creates is through sexual union with himself. That is he masturbates the world into existence, or sometimes he performs what is given the glorious name of auto-fellatio. His children Shu (the air) and Tefnut (moisture) are his semen and his saliva respectively. They are the issuance of his body, his bodily fluids which go on to form the structure of the world, the earth and the sky and so on. So all substances on this earth are the descendants of these first substances. It is not a big leap to go from this to the idea of a kind of spiritual chemistry - i.e. alchemy. And that the physical world is the 'lowest' level of expression of the whole continuum and hierarchy of levels between the gross, the subtle and the causal.

As distinct to the eastern (particularly Buddhist) view that the created world is 'illusory' the western tradition would say 'its real - but what is it?' or 'its not what it seems' - that is its not a vacuum filled with solid objects but a continuum of power or a field of energy or consciousness with which we can relate, experiment, explore find out about for ourselves in a spirit of pragmatic empiricalism - i.e. western hermetic magical tradition.

Totally agree. I treat the learning and purification that occurs in this physical dimension as a holy act if you like. I'm sure alot of others are the same. Personally I have to reserve judgement on what western 'alchemy' is until I have more experience. I often have the feeling that all really old traditions are 'alchemical' in the sense you mean here.

The as above so below thing, and the power of analogy it creates, is totally correct for me. What you say about a continuum between lowest and highest is also very very Hermetic in the modern Bardonist sense, I really can't add anything to that! As I say I see this in other traditions too though. Druidry for example, and I think Taoism too.

On this:

As distinct to the eastern (particularly Buddhist) view that the created world is 'illusory' the western tradition would say 'its real - but what is it?' or 'its not what it seems'

... I would just add that the Hermetics have always been extremely aware of 'what it is', of the multiple levels of reality and of the way they behave with respect to one another. In other words I don't think they began from the physical world point of view.

It really does bear repeating that the first Bardon book ends in 'enlightenment', viz, the ability to see all things as one thing -- all time, all love, all power, all law, all creation. That's not the final thing and that's not 'where it ends'. That's the beginning of more. (For one thing, as you have pointed out, 'its power' is not 'perfect' until it is 'converted into earth.')

According to Bardon (and the mind does start to boggle a bit) there are way more than just the skills he mentions. He mentions there is an initiation for every single major arcanum of the tarot deck -- that would be 21 initiations, of which the first five include 'enlightenment', complete exploration of all energies of the universe, creative speech, complete wisdom and the philosopher's stone!

I don't think this hugeness is unique to Hermetics at all, and I think a book like 'Dragon Gate' for example does argue that Taoism has the same attitude.

I would add that other senses develop in all these traditions which show the world in a different way. The causes of something and their connections are all inherent in the living object itself.

Could write more but must go!

NW

Just want to point out that I was not disparaging eastern systems such as Buddhism and Taoism - and their view, which in the context of those systems is perfect. Its just that I believe that there is a western tradition which is as valid and profound. Historically the western tradition has been 'occult' that is hidden and viewed with great suspicion and persecuted.

Just want to point out that I was not disparaging eastern systems such as Buddhism and Taoism - and their view, which in the context of those systems is perfect. Its just that I believe that there is a western tradition which is as valid and profound.

... as do I of course. Many misunderstandings surrounding it, though, sure, whether due to bigotry or mere historical accident... but many fresh winds shaking the boughs just at present.

I've seen the rather different methods of Taoism as very much compatible with Hermetics philosophically, in what you're calling 'alchemical' terms -- that is, respect for the bodiedness of the infinite as a divine completion of a living cycle. I think it gets too caught up in words sometimes, I am not sure the differences in that respect are huge. They're quite big in other respects though. Solve et Coagula isn't really the Taoist way so far as I know.

It's going to be good for me listening to you because the religious symbolism is not something I know enough about. Hermetics was already abstracted out of religion, and Bardon intended (as I think Yoda said) to make it even more so -- in order that it would be compatible with as many people's views as possible. When I look at the public teachers of his system he succeeded, because their vibes are very individual.

Hermetics is changing now, not only because of him. It has come North and it has gone outdoors. lol

I can't find much more to say about the Tablet from what you said, which I simply agree with. :D

All best wishes,

~NeutralWire~

Smash it up with a big hammer and you will find the truth.

You foolish humans are like pigs eating up your own poo!

Ha ha

Smash it up with a big hammer and you will find the truth.

Ha ha

You only need to smash things you are attached to.

Eat your own poo.

Ha ha.

We got a walk in!!! I've heard that they are socially awkward at times but great at parties!!!