markern

Combining "siberian" ginseng and Panax ginseng

I have been having little mental energy lately and also feel that my root and sexual centre has been correspondingly low on energy. I am guessing my Jing is getting a bit low and after reducing the frequency of ejaculation and getting more energy up from below that seems to confirm this. I think maybe as I have gotten a bit older my frequency needs to be a bit lower than before. My accupuncturist is also giving me a chineese extract for restoring Jing. It is largely based on "siberian" ginseng but is a mix of several diferent things. After a few days I feel the benefit. Howver I am already taking a multivitamin that contains ginseng, I think of the Panax type and I am a bit concerned about combining the two. As I understand the stuff in the "siberian" ginseng that makes it work is completly different to the stuff in the panax that makes it work however the effect is very similar. Since the active ingredients are different that should reduce the risk but doubling up on stuff with similar effects seems somewhat risky. Does anyone know something about this? Advice on restoring Jing would also be much apreciated.

I have been having little mental energy lately and also feel that my root and sexual centre has been correspondingly low on energy. I am guessing my Jing is getting a bit low and after reducing the frequency of ejaculation and getting more energy up from below that seems to confirm this. I think maybe as I have gotten a bit older my frequency needs to be a bit lower than before. My accupuncturist is also giving me a chineese extract for restoring Jing. It is largely based on "siberian" ginseng but is a mix of several diferent things. After a few days I feel the benefit. Howver I am already taking a multivitamin that contains ginseng, I think of the Panax type and I am a bit concerned about combining the two. As I understand the stuff in the "siberian" ginseng that makes it work is completly different to the stuff in the panax that makes it work however the effect is very similar. Since the active ingredients are different that should reduce the risk but doubling up on stuff with similar effects seems somewhat risky. Does anyone know something about this? Advice on restoring Jing would also be much apreciated.

First of all I would advise you to address these questions to your Acupunture doc if you haven't already. He should be able to clearly explain the energetic differences to you. I think ciwujia (eleuthero, aka siberian ginseng) is classified as a yin tonic. The "effect" you notice may be similar, but the cause of the energy boost is likely entirely different. Also, eleuthero can be taken long term with NO negative effects. This is in contrast to Panax. You shouldn't guess your Jing is low. Your acupuncturist should be able to explain his diagnostic findings to you. Hopefully he is so inclined. I know some more traditional types just like to treat and not explain things.

Good luck.

Craig

I have been using Maca root and it is a wonderful remedy. The ginseng is a little too hot for me.

ralis

Thanks for the replies:)

The problem is my accupunturist is chinees and does not speak good enough english for us to have a realy meaningfull conversation about this. We can communicate on basics of symptoms etc but the intricacies of accupuncture just does not work to talk about.

The problem is my accupunturist is chinees and does not speak good enough english for us to have a realy meaningfull conversation about this. We can communicate on basics of symptoms etc but the intricacies of accupuncture just does not work to talk about.

Might I suggest you taking advantage of the low exchange rate by buying products from www.evergreenherb.co.nz. The lovely lady who runs the company happily responds to questions as to the appropriate products -- her "Mens Vigour" and "Good Sleep 1" are especially formulated for low jing. They also contain herbs that may actually be a bit more helpful than those ginsengs by themselves. The owner is an TCM acupunturist and herbalist.

I've used both -- the good sleep product is fantastic.

For the record, I don't have any interest in this website.

Lack of ability to fully communicate is a problem. If you are not able to find another, perhaps you could try to ask him some simple specifics.

What is your condition. Yin deficiency, heat stagnation, which organs are involved. ex, deficient kidney yin?

I would encourage you to find some way to determine your diagnosis more clearly.

Meanwhile, I would recommend you stop taking the multivitamin and focus on the herbal remedy. This way the doc will be able to see what is going on more clearly.

Further might I add that many multivitamins are of questionable quality and digestibility.

If I were looking to get extra panax I would get it seperately. Also, if looking to get a multi vitamin supplement I would look for a whole food supplement in stead of a compressed tablet containing every vitamin and mineral which would be difficult for the body to process.

Craig

Craig - where is Panax from? And which type is korean? My girlfriend was just asking me, as she thinks hers might be keeping her awake.

Many thanks,

Ian

Craig - where is Panax from? And which type is korean? My girlfriend was just asking me, as she thinks hers might be keeping her awake.

Many thanks,

Ian

panax ginseng is real ginseng

korean ginseng is panax ginseng from korea.

The reason why siberian ginseng is different is because it isnt scientifically classified as ginseng.

so really if you have real ginseng (any kind other than siberian) its panax ginseng.

if you have siberian ginseng its eleuthero.

^_^

Be careful with buying herbs from China and surrounding region. Pesticides and other chemicals are definitely in these herbs. I believe one can purchase Panax that is grown in this country. Just remember the melamine contamination that many are dealing with.

ralis

I prefer American Ginseng to Panax. To me, more harmonizing. A lot of Asians feel the same way as we export most of it.

Craig is right, just arbitrarily taking panax is not a good idea. While most people can actually get away with it in winter, too much heat for many in summer. Try seeing someone else that will do a TCM workup. That said, I doubt the multi has a whole lot of panax in it. Eleuthero is very mild and should produce no problems for most folks.

I prefer American Ginseng to Panax. To me, more harmonizing. A lot of Asians feel the same way as we export most of it.

I usually get spaced out with stimulants. But once I add American Ginseng to my daily herbal cocktail I get the stimulant effect and still keep my grounding. American Ginseng is very balancing.

Many thanks,

Ian

Ian

I will answer, although it seems others have adequately addressed this already.

Panax is the true Ginseng. It is a major export of Korea. However it is also from China and elsewhere.

Hence it is often called Korean ginseng. (Good Korean marketing here I would say :-)

American ginseng is Panax quinquifolium.

True Ginseng is Panax ginseng.

Siberian Ginseng is Eleutherococcus senticosus.

Switch her to American ginseng, and/or Siberian ginseng. Panax ginseng could well be keeping her awake.

Also, Panax by itself is not the best thing to take regularly all by itself. It can lead to imbalance. Lack of sleep can be a sign of yin deficiency, which could be exacerbated by the Panax's heat.

AMerican ginseng is neutral to cool. Eleuthero is considered a yin tonic.

By the way, Eleuthero (the common way to refer to Siberian Ginseng to avoid confusion!) can be quite stimulating depending upon your sensitivity. I used to take it before TKD workouts and it was very potent for me.

DONT BUY ELEUTHERO EXTRACT IN POWDER FORM. It is mostly worthless. A good quality tincture which has a strong earthy smell is fine, but powder extract which comes almost 100% from China is extracted in such a way as to be almost completely worthless (in my experience). It is standardized to certain marker compounds - Eleutheroside B & E 0.8% - but apparently the extraction process manages to eliminate everything else of value somewhere in the process. The Russians and Germans have made good powder extract which is standardized to the same levels, but somehow is potent. This is not commonly available and I don't know where to get it. Buy basic powder or liquid extract. I still like SUN Siberian ginseng best. It is just a tableted powder. Available from Sun Chlorella Corporation. This is not a paid advert.

Happy herb hunting.

Craig

Guest sykkelpump

What kind of practice are you doing?

I dont know if this is your problem but earlier when I did qi gong,I have noticed on myself that any kind of forcing moving of energy in the spine,would lead to low energy and almost fatigue.(fucked up my nervous system)

If you do meditation,you should try this exersize after meditation.It had an amazing effect on me.It really opened up the spine very quick.But it was importent to do meditation first.After meditation,I belive this is the best stand alone exercise there is.

What kind of practice are you doing?

I dont know if this is your problem but earlier when I did qi gong,I have noticed on myself that any kind of forcing moving of energy in the spine,would lead to low energy and almost fatigue.(fucked up my nervous system)

If you do meditation,you should try this exersize after meditation.It had an amazing effect on me.It really opened up the spine very quick.But it was importent to do meditation first.After meditation,I belive this is the best stand alone exercise there is.

uhh,,,OK?

What does this have to do with the rest of this thread? Did you post in the wrong thread?

Guest sykkelpump

uhh,,,OK?

What does this have to do with the rest of this thread? Did you post in the wrong thread?

Because he said he is getting more energy up from below.So I was thinking maybe he is doing spinal breathing mco or other forceful exercices.

The link I posted is good for low energy anyway

And with the right practices it should be unnessesary to go to an acupunturist and eathing ginseng.You should have naturally moore energy than people who dont train.

And with the right practices it should be unnessesary to go to an acupunturist and eathing ginseng.You should have naturally moore energy than people who dont train.

What you say makes sense in theory. But the initiator of the thread was asking about his girlfriend if you may recall.

I believe it is a really good idea to see alternative health care practitioners - esp TCM to get a check on how your cultivation is doing. Helps with the self delusion problems of having a lot of energy which might not necessarily be balanced in an ideal way.

Taoist sages and hermit who had practice WAY BEYOND what I have had also have been known to eat tonic herbs, ginseng, etc. You can always optimize you system with the proper inputs.

This is the type of herbology an adept should pursue. Add to the system that which can take your health to radiant potency. This is contrasted to taking herbs or other techniques to address sickness or deficiency.

Otherwise the ideal you are speaking of is that of the breatharian who has moved beyond gross material needs. <_<

Craig

Guest sykkelpump

What you say makes sense in theory. But the initiator of the thread was asking about his girlfriend if you may recall.

I believe it is a really good idea to see alternative health care practitioners - esp TCM to get a check on how your cultivation is doing. Helps with the self delusion problems of having a lot of energy which might not necessarily be balanced in an ideal way.

Taoist sages and hermit who had practice WAY BEYOND what I have had also have been known to eat tonic herbs, ginseng, etc. You can always optimize you system with the proper inputs.

This is the type of herbology an adept should pursue. Add to the system that which can take your health to radiant potency. This is contrasted to taking herbs or other techniques to address sickness or deficiency.

Otherwise the ideal you are speaking of is that of the breatharian who has moved beyond gross material needs. <_<

Craig

He was asking about his girlfriend? Where?

By the way I was answering him not you.I dont belive in ginseng

Edited by sykkelpump

He was asking about his girlfriend? Where?

By the way I was answering him not you.I dont belive in ginseng

Whoops, my bad :unsure:

I was caught up in answering Ian, and actually accused you of what I did, which was to forget who the orignal poster was. Hasty Forum participation I'm afraid.

Please accept my apology.

also,

"I don't believe in ginseng"

Do you believe in food?

Another way to refer to herbs is "forgotten foods". Some foods are right for some people, some aren't.

Craig

Guest sykkelpump

Whoops, my bad :unsure:

I was caught up in answering Ian, and actually accused you of what I did, which was to forget who the orignal poster was. Hasty Forum participation I'm afraid.

Please accept my apology.

also,

"I don't believe in ginseng"

Do you believe in food?

Another way to refer to herbs is "forgotten foods". Some foods are right for some people, some aren't.

Craig

When I say I dont belive in ginseng I mean the effect is very limited.But proper cultivation is not.And normal healthy people shouldnt need ginseng in the first place