Sign in to follow this  
nomad

I don't understand the difference between 'dhyanas' and 'samadhi'

I've read numerous books on the topic of meditation yet no one book clearly elucidated the difference between the two states - mainly, what in the world is a 'dhyana' and its relationship to entering samadhi(s)?

I also don't understand why there are so many conceptual hang-ups when it comes to something so quasi simple as meditation, e.g. the various stages of absorption, skhandas, etc. I can't wrap my head around how the originators of these phenomena-in-words even came to their conclusions - that there are distinct demarcations between states and so on...? Is it that once these enlightened masters discovered the true nature of mind that some sort of layout was provided to them? haha

Thank You

Edited by nomad

I've read numerous books on the topic of meditation yet no one book clearly elucidated the difference between the two states - mainly, what in the world is a 'dhyana' and its relationship to entering samadhi(s)?

I also don't understand why there are so many conceptual hang-ups when it comes to something so quasi simple as meditation, e.g. the various stages of absorption, skhandas, etc. I can't wrap my head around how the originators of these phenomena-in-words even came to their conclusions - that there are distinct demarcations between states and so on...? Is it that once these enlightened masters discovered the true nature of mind that some sort of layout was provided to them? haha

Thank You

Dhyana means to focus the mind on something.

Samadhi is a state one attains as a result of this dhyana.

Don't get caught up in labels...just meditate.

that is a good point dwai, meditators often get caught up in trying to label each level or advancement in their meditation practise. this can send you down a path of delusion. When the practioner has a very strong and dedicated mediation practise, understanding of the finer details will develop and doubts and questions will be answered. Instead of just reading an intellectual view on the matter, you will have personal experience.

that said..this is my understanding of dhyanas and samadhi.

dhyanas (jhana) is the first to third jhanas

Absorption into a single point or quality of the meditation object. Accompanied by bliss, serenity, one pointedness.

samadhi is the fading of meditation object and bliss, the apparent fading of dualism. The mind expands and enters into a bright awareness, equanimity. The forth jhana. This state of Samadhi allows the mind to dissolve all ideas of separation, concept and feelings from self and object.

Self/object and self/other dichotomy. This is considered right concentration from the dhammic view. Often misunderstood as a union of the meditator and the cosmos or the meditator and God. This state is still dependent on causes and therefore not final realization.

this is being generous to the yogic tradition.

.k.

that is right view.

metta

adam

that is a good point dwai, meditators often get caught up in trying to label each level or advancement in their meditation practise. this can send you down a path of delusion. When the practioner has a very strong and dedicated mediation practise, understanding of the finer details will develop and doubts and questions will be answered. Instead of just reading an intellectual view on the matter, you will have personal experience.

that said..this is my understanding of dhyanas and samadhi.

dhyanas (jhana) is the first to third jhanas

Absorption into a single point or quality of the meditation object. Accompanied by bliss, serenity, one pointedness.

samadhi is the fading of meditation object and bliss, the apparent fading of dualism. The mind expands and enters into a bright awareness, equanimity. The forth jhana. This state of Samadhi allows the mind to dissolve all ideas of separation, concept and feelings from self and object.

Self/object and self/other dichotomy. This is considered right concentration from the dhammic view. Often misunderstood as a union of the meditator and the cosmos or the meditator and God. This state is still dependent on causes and therefore not final realization.

this is being generous to the yogic tradition.

.k.

Sign in to follow this