Sign in to follow this  
Sunya

want to connect with Taoism

hihi,

i'm going off to China to study soon, in a couple days. and i want to connect with Taoism, even though Confucianism is a huge part of Chinese culture, i don't really care about it. and have recently been drawn to the simpleness of Taoism. i don't have time to order books, but i already have a couple

Wen-Tzu by Lao Tzu, Secret of the Golden Flower trans: Thomas Cleary, Taoism: The Road to Immortality

by John Blofeld

this books i've yet to digest. are they enough to get to the essence of taoism, (intellectually of course)

are there better books?

is there websites you guys can recommend with stories, writings, whatever. Taoism related? Tao Te Ching can be found online quite easily.. and i'm looking for some writings by Chaung Tzu

hihi,

i'm going off to China to study soon, in a couple days. and i want to connect with Taoism, even though Confucianism is a huge part of Chinese culture, i don't really care about it. and have recently been drawn to the simpleness of Taoism. i don't have time to order books, but i already have a couple

Wen-Tzu by Lao Tzu, Secret of the Golden Flower trans: Thomas Cleary, Taoism: The Road to Immortality

by John Blofeld

this books i've yet to digest. are they enough to get to the essence of taoism, (intellectually of course)

are there better books?

is there websites you guys can recommend with stories, writings, whatever. Taoism related? Tao Te Ching can be found online quite easily.. and i'm looking for some writings by Chaung Tzu

If I were you I would wander in the mountains, were Taoism was born. This process is going to be difficult because you have a mindset set-up according to the modern social structure. However, that change is akin to going to hell and face the devil itself. But if you succeed I can guarantee you that you'll have a better understanding of the Tao than 99.9% of the mortals.

Books are not needed. :)

Good luck anyway.

Long time ago Mikaelz, a trip to China will do you good ! I wish i was in your place, would leave immediately :)

My guess is that the first thing a master would say when you arrive with him or her is that you better throw away all your tao books ;)

Good luck on your travels and kind regards,

Mike

647712721425.jpg

I read on a blog that this wandering Taoist -who carries a dragon-headed staff, and nothing else besides the little black bag marked with the Yin and Yang symbol, in which he keeps the Book of the Tao and a few personal belongings- had been walking through China for fifteen years retelling stories and Taoist legends.

The photo was taken in 2001.

Very nice :)

Sign in to follow this