Sign in to follow this  
innerspace_cadet

The four yogas: Jnana, Raja, Bhakti, Karma

I tend to be very cerebral, so I was thinking jnana yoga is right for me. How do I know which one of the the four major yogas to settle upon?

Use them together...though Raja Yoga is a combination of the 8 limbs of Yoga (per Patanjali).

use your bhakti (devotion/sincerity) to pursue your Hatha practice and learn to meditate. Use your Jnana (Wisdom/intellect) to discern good from bad, right from wrong and follow right action to negate your Karmic debts/influences.

Namaste innerspace cadet.

I tend to be very cerebral, so I was thinking jnana yoga is right for me. How do I know which one of the the four major yogas to settle upon?

I'm biased, but I would suggest AYP! It combines many more yogas then just the 4 major ones......mantra, tantra, bhakti, kundalini, kriya, raja, jnana, karma etc etc etc.....It's a very balanced practice and is easy to be "self guided" and is not necessary to have a "guru" to help guide you through the process of spiritual awakening. Again though, I am biased. Best of luck!

Love,

Carson :D

www.aypsite.org

Edited by CarsonZi

Investigate them and see which resonates most with you. In my personal experience, I've tried methods that I would normally not do due to my preferences, to try to 'force' a change, and it was more frustrating than going with the school that felt most natural while being attentive to keep things balanced. For example, if you're very cerebral don't forget that there's a physical aspect to this existence too... or is there? :blink::D

Namaste innerspace cadet.

I'm biased, but I would suggest AYP! It combines many more yogas then just the 4 major ones......mantra, tantra, bhakti, kundalini, kriya, raja, jnana, karma etc etc etc.....It's a very balanced practice and is easy to be "self guided" and is not necessary to have a "guru" to help guide you through the process of spiritual awakening. Again though, I am biased. Best of luck!

Love,

Carson :D

www.aypsite.org

Yoga is Yoga. These labels people ascribe to it (Hot Yoga, Cold Yoga, etc) are complete BS. Yoga is an eight-limbed path, as defined in Rishi Patanjali's composition - The Yoga Sutras.

Every other practice that is mentioned is an offshoot of this practice (of 8 limbs of Yoga). Depending on the nature of the practitioner, some limbs might come easier to him/her than others.

The practitioner would be well advised to not dwell on labels, but on the practice itself. Also, for serious practitioners, a "Guru" (Dispeller of Ignorance) is very essential. There is only so far one can go without a guide.

Namaste Dwai,

Yoga is Yoga.

Agreed. That's why I think AYP is so nice....It combines all the yoga's. (well maybe with the exception of "guru" yoga. Still has bhakti elements though) I didn't try to list them all above, I just said "and many more", and I SHOULD have just said "it combines all the yoga's", but I didn't. Truly sorry.

It's like Vajrasattva said "They truly are not seperate from each other". Sorry for blabbing.

Love,

Carson:D

Sign in to follow this