Sign in to follow this  
voidisyinyang

Psychedelics in Light of Yoga

An interesting article, but too technical and too long-winded for my tastes. I always find the most interesting posts are those where people write of their own experiences and what they've felt about them, often years down the line. Living enough years always adds perspective to an experience such as hallucinogens taken in one's youth, that wasn't available at the time.

I think it would be interesting here to do one of Stigweird's famous 'polls',... to see how many Tao Bums did try out and enjoy some of those fascinating drug experiences which were everywhere available from the 60's onwards. For me, they were part of my youth,... and I feel they opened doors in my perception that directly led to the last 35 years of undiminishing interest in striving to find answers to spiritual questions.

From this point in time, I personally feel that it was only the various 'hallucinogenic' drugs that had any value with regards to spiritual insights,... but perhaps others had different experiences ? I no longer take any of these artificial 'doorway openers' for reasons that become obvious to most people who have gone down that road. But that doesn't mean that I feel they were in any way without value at a time in one's life.

Perhaps the current illegality makes this a forbidden topic. But nevertheless, I venture to guess that if everyone were honest on this site about this controversial and sensitive topic, you would find that hallucinogens played a significant part in the lives of quite a high percentage of people here.

But nevertheless, I venture to guess that if everyone were honest on this site about this controversial and sensitive topic, you would find that hallucinogens played a significant part in the lives of quite a high percentage of people here.

Well they definitely played a part in my life and 'opened doors' which would never again be closed.

Well they definitely played a part in my life and 'opened doors' which would never again be closed.

Me too. I started using marijuana at an early age and this helped me to see through the fallacy of Fundamentalist Evangelical Christianity which I had been practicing since I was 4. (this happened at age 12). This created a desire to learn what else "drugs" may have to offer and I developed unhealthy habits to just about every drug known to man.....Everything from ayahausca to heroin, ketamine to methamphetamine, 2CB to methadone, MDMA to PCP. But the drugs that most positively benefitted my spiritual journey were the natural tryptamines.....DMT(ayahausca), psylocin, etc, and Ketamine.(not natural nor a tryptamine) Anything that can create true ego dissolution I find can be a useful tool in my "yogic toolbelt". BUT this said, all tools are meant to be transcended in my opinion, and are only useful during certain aspects of the journey. Very fun (albiet long winded) article though. Thanks for sharing Drew Hempel.

Love,

Carson :D

P.S. I no longer use ANY drugs.....AYP Spinal Breathing Pranayama even got me off of a 90mg daily dose of methadone (had been at that dose for 4 years prior) in 10 weeks with no withdrawals. A medical miracle by any perspective!

Edited by CarsonZi

An interesting article, but too technical and too long-winded for my tastes. I always find the most interesting posts are those where people write of their own experiences and what they've felt about them, often years down the line. Living enough years always adds perspective to an experience such as hallucinogens taken in one's youth, that wasn't available at the time.

I think it would be interesting here to do one of Stigweird's famous 'polls',... to see how many Tao Bums did try out and enjoy some of those fascinating drug experiences which were everywhere available from the 60's onwards. For me, they were part of my youth,... and I feel they opened doors in my perception that directly led to the last 35 years of undiminishing interest in striving to find answers to spiritual questions.

From this point in time, I personally feel that it was only the various 'hallucinogenic' drugs that had any value with regards to spiritual insights,... but perhaps others had different experiences ? I no longer take any of these artificial 'doorway openers' for reasons that become obvious to most people who have gone down that road. But that doesn't mean that I feel they were in any way without value at a time in one's life.

Perhaps the current illegality makes this a forbidden topic. But nevertheless, I venture to guess that if everyone were honest on this site about this controversial and sensitive topic, you would find that hallucinogens played a significant part in the lives of quite a high percentage of people here.

Some are artificial, some are organic

I've only taken a few different types to date (mushrooms, marijuana, salvia, kratom) I think they've helped more than they've hurt but that's hard to say objectively. They enabled me to see 'reality' in very different lights which shook me up enough to be open minded about other possibilities. Especially mushrooms, the first time I used them I remember thinking "omg I get it! Everything makes perfect sense!" and laughing/smiling for some time after the realization.

I even still have memories of what I was picturing while on mushrooms that first time that have made more and more sense to me over time. For example, I was laughing so hard as I was picturing myself at work stressed out and taking things so seriously.. under the influence i found it hysterical since it was all 'fake' in a way.

Me too. I started using marijuana at an early age and this helped me to see through the fallacy of Fundamentalist Evangelical Christianity which I had been practicing since I was 4. (this happened at age 12). This created a desire to learn what else "drugs" may have to offer and I developed unhealthy habits to just about every drug known to man.....Everything from ayahausca to heroin, ketamine to methamphetamine, 2CB to methadone, MDMA to PCP. But the drugs that most positively benefitted my spiritual journey were the natural tryptamines.....DMT(ayahausca), psylocin, etc, and Ketamine.(not natural nor a tryptamine) Anything that can create true ego dissolution I find can be a useful tool in my "yogic toolbelt". BUT this said, all tools are meant to be transcended in my opinion, and are only useful during certain aspects of the journey. Very fun (albiet long winded) article though. Thanks for sharing Drew Hempel.

Love,

P.S. I no longer use ANY drugs.....AYP Spinal Breathing Pranayama even got me off of a 90mg daily dose of methadone (had been at that dose for 4 years prior) in 10 weeks with no withdrawals. A medical miracle by any perspective!

I was partial to 2cb, through the nose

Especially mushrooms, the first time I used them I remember thinking "omg I get it! Everything makes perfect sense!" and laughing/smiling for some time after the realization.

I remember once being on mushrooms (a large 7 gram dose) and figuring out the whole e=mc2 deal....And as I figured this out I was about to try teletransporting myself (dematerializing and rematerializing on the other side of the valley I was in) when the friend that was with me walked into a tree, got a branch stuck up his nose and started bleeding everywhere and screaming bloody murder. Obviously I "lost" the Realization and never got it back again. One more reason to stick with meditation over hallucinogens. Easier to remember and retain what you've learned! haha

:rolleyes:

Love,

I remember once being on mushrooms (a large 7 gram dose) and figuring out the whole e=mc2 deal....And as I figured this out I was about to try teletransporting myself (dematerializing and rematerializing on the other side of the valley I was in) when the friend that was with me walked into a tree, got a branch stuck up his nose and started bleeding everywhere and screaming bloody murder. Obviously I "lost" the Realization and never got it back again. One more reason to stick with meditation over hallucinogens. Easier to remember and retain what you've learned! haha

:rolleyes:

Love,

And potentially fewer nose bleeds! :lol:

Yeah I just ordered Syrian Rue and Mimosa Root Bark: DMT and MAOI.

Banisteriopsis Caapi vine is much more effective in creating an ayahausca experience then using syrian rue. Just FYI. And B.C. vine by itself is an amazing journey.....often called ayahausca by Peruvian shamans even without the DMT root bark. It definitely has the "clairvoyance" aspect to it. Very easy to transfer thoughts without speaking and to read others minds. In my experience of course.

Love,

"Psychedelic experience is only a glimpse of genuine mystical insight, but a glimpse which can be matured and deepened by the various ways of meditation in which drugs are no longer necessary or useful. If you get the message, hang up the phone. For psychedelic drugs are simply instruments, like microscopes, telescopes, and telephones. The biologist does not sit with eye permanently glued to the microscope, he goes away and works on what he has seen..."

-- Alan Watts, (Joyous Cosmology Prologue, 2nd ed. 1970).

"Psychedelic experience is only a glimpse of genuine mystical insight, but a glimpse which can be matured and deepened by the various ways of meditation in which drugs are no longer necessary or useful. If you get the message, hang up the phone. For psychedelic drugs are simply instruments, like microscopes, telescopes, and telephones. The biologist does not sit with eye permanently glued to the microscope, he goes away and works on what he has seen..."

-- Alan Watts, (Joyous Cosmology Prologue, 2nd ed. 1970).

Well put....thanks for the quote!

Thanks! http://www.ayahuasca.com/?p=48

Banisteriopsis Caapi vine is much more effective in creating an ayahausca experience then using syrian rue. Just FYI. And B.C. vine by itself is an amazing journey.....often called ayahausca by Peruvian shamans even without the DMT root bark. It definitely has the "clairvoyance" aspect to it. Very easy to transfer thoughts without speaking and to read others minds. In my experience of course.

Love,

Mushrooms were a valuable asset for me when I first started my practice of meditation, I had no idea they would be so influential. I remember one time reading that during a mushroom trip you experience what would be the result of 40 years of meditation, I don't know how accurate that statement is but I never doubted the mushroom's ability to indiscriminately teach or direct oneself. It should definitely be used as a wayward tool, or guide, of spiritual learning, and not abused or clung onto.

They showed me a possible point of conclusion that can be achieved through meditation; a blissful state of ego-less nature grounded in love. Unfortunately my immersion into the drug scene was two-fold; I was somewhat enlightened by newly found perspectives derived from shroom use, yet along with that, I was driven into the ground several times from the onset of cocaine/heroin/benzodiazepine abuse. Meditation and the occasional mushroom journey have been instrumental in my recovery :)

Sign in to follow this