Sign in to follow this  
Snowdoggie

Can the Mass Media be an Energy Drain?

I'm new here so if this has been discussed before or I come off as a rank beginner, please forgive me.

I am somewhat addicted to different internet boards. I also from time to time listen to radio talk shows and other media. At one point I even worked in the radio business, but I don't now.

There are some internet boards I go to where the negativity gets so strong that I feel physically drained actually reading the posts, much less responding to them. Most of these board are about either politics or business. Some are about humor. Many of the posters sound angry beyond the point of rationality. Some actually go to the point of making comments just to get a violent reaction from somebody else on the board. Trolling, etc.

Some radio shows are the same way. Right Wing shows are the worst, but there are some shows from the Left Wing that actually equal the hatred spewed from the right side of the dial. I see the same thing on some of the new Left Wing internet sites. They seem to have decided that being as hateful as their political rivals is the way to win in the forum of politics. In some ways, radio is even worse than the internet, because you can leave it on in the background. It can always be there.

And finally, there is humor. Stuff that is supposed to be funny. The Howard Stern type of shock jock radio is set up to make you laugh but it is often at the expense of another person, another race or another sexual preference. A local guy here in Dallas actually ended up in trouble with the police on a domestic violence charge after doing a show for years where part of his schtick involved jokes about 'knocking women around'. Talk about life imitating art.

Can this type of media actually be energy draining?

Everything that is rhythmic has the possibility of entrainment. THere is a symphony dancing around us, tv lends to a very small range of human sensory experience, but it is the story that people follow along with that relates ... Sensory range speaking tv only covers a thin sliver... so it's actually sick how easy it is to entrain. FOllow the story you'll get to the point.

Once your aware of the circuits running in around and through you can run them periodically to clear tonify and strengthen them. THis includes mental dialog. For every thread of information that builds you up or leads you to a realization there is someone who wants you to be free to discover as a child the world hidden from the eyes of ordinary western ergonomic habits and culture.

Edited by Spectrum

This whole slave planet is draining. I suggest you visit (or better, live if you can) places like this often to shake off rogue energy from your system:

1233793651017942500.jpg

Edited by durkhrod chogori

This whole slave planet is draining. I suggest you visit places like this often to shake off rogue energy from your system:

1233793651017942500.jpg

hey where are those rocks? I remember driving past some giant rocks, but they were smooth as skin and peach colored not far from a little place called Harmony in California..

I still regret not getting out of the car and climb them. Damn.

as for mass media. I choke, there's so much could say.. .if you can in some small way influence..the part of the industry you are in contact with? I live to know it is possible.

also be consciously selective in what you purchase/download/watch. Like Spectrum says to get hold of your internal dialogues is I guess th supreme way to find keys what to drives you and allowes you to get stuck.

:)

hey where are those rocks? I remember driving past some giant rocks, but they were smooth as skin and peach colored not far from a little place called Harmony in California..

I still regret not getting out of the car and climb them. Damn. :)

I used to live in that area, on the weekends away from my hometown, climbing them, sleeping outdoors with the sky-paved sky just above my head, breathing heaps of pure chi. Hmm...). It is called "La Pedriza" and it is in a mountain range located 1 hour drive north of Madrid, Spain.

One of Europe's power spots.

Hey, you guys have several prominent power spots in Cali as well:

1. Needles

2. Yosemite National Park

3. Joshua Tree National Park

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tna7HQ-PExw...feature=related

4. Mt Shasta (this is one of the most prominent power spots on Earth)

You are very lucky by having that awesome mountain in your backyard. :)

Nothing in Australia, only two places are power spots:

1. Uluru.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8u9xfe5IlkM

Another great power spot. Very Yang! Not good for me.

2. Mt Warning, Byron Bay:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MIYokvcYywY...feature=related

Also very Yang. Not good for me either :(

Edited by durkhrod chogori

I guess the problem is that you just fall into this stuff because it is out there and easy to access. You just turn on the radio when you drive home from work and the ranting and raving starts on four different stations. It seems like the stations with the strongest signals in my area are the worst. There are also people with agendas that are paying good money to get this crap out there. Television and the internet are worse. You get bored and seek entertainment and pull the switch. Again the loudest voices are usually the worse. It seems like right now the media is trying to sensationalize the economy to make it sound even worse than it its. Every layoff is on the front page and increases in home sales are buried or rationalized. Instead of a true picture of what is going on in the world, you get a heavy dose of fear.

I admit to being a bit of a media junkie. But getting buried in this stuff is getting to be depressing. More and more I keep thinking I should turn off the switch or at least be more mindful of what kind of media I am consuming. In fact, the search for less draining media actually led me to this place.

More and more I keep thinking I should turn off the switch or at least be more mindful of what kind of media I am consuming. In fact, the search for less draining media actually led me to this place.

I hope I don't sound patronizing, but you're just where I was a couple of years back. I was also studying hypnotherapy. I began to get very scared seeing just how much in my life was programmed in... stuff from sitcoms had been hanging out in my brain and gathering energy.

Now? No TV, no movies. Still plenty of net but it if doesn't have that spark of decency... lots of reading, lots of hanging out.

The thing is, the people who make TV can be somewhat ignorant. I'm with you, I don't want them in my mind. After you have learned to meditate it's less of a problem, but ordinary people have no defense at all most of the time. It's not all bad -- some very good people on here are named after Star Wars characters after all! -- but let's face it, for real mind food, you can do better.

I applaud and encourage your decision to look at your idea diet the way so many look at their food. Not that I'm anyone in particular, but what the hey.

~NeutralWire~

I hope I don't sound patronizing, but you're just where I was a couple of years back. I was also studying hypnotherapy. I began to get very scared seeing just how much in my life was programmed in... stuff from sitcoms had been hanging out in my brain and gathering energy.

Now? No TV, no movies. Still plenty of net but it if doesn't have that spark of decency... lots of reading, lots of hanging out.

The thing is, the people who make TV can be somewhat ignorant. I'm with you, I don't want them in my mind. After you have learned to meditate it's less of a problem, but ordinary people have no defense at all most of the time. It's not all bad -- some very good people on here are named after Star Wars characters after all! -- but let's face it, for real mind food, you can do better.

I applaud and encourage your decision to look at your idea diet the way so many look at their food. Not that I'm anyone in particular, but what the hey.

~NeutralWire~

It's nice to know that I am on a path that others have travelled before. My problem is that to a small extent I am actually a part of the medium I critisize. I write a column about pets and dog rescue for examiner.com and I also sell magazine articles from time to time. It isn't my primary source of income, but I do take the work seriously. To a certain extent I have to know what is going on in the world in order to do my job. My last article involved an attack at a local dog park that I frequent. There was a lot of sensationalism and disinformation about the attack. I used my article to try and calm things down and put it all in perspective.

:lol: I think the title of this thread should be "Can the Mass Media NOT be an energy drain?"

to which one could reply, yes, but only if you KILL YOUR TELEVISION B)

Hagar, awesome scenery there! Even the piddly little panorama was breathtaking!

I like anime :)

I only watch it on the internet though.

i only turn on the tv if someone wants to play my nintendo 64.

as for the internet, I usually hang out here

^_^

Try working with CNBC droning in the background for 7 hours a day and then you tell me :lol:

I know somebody who works at home and keeps Fox News on all the time while he is working. Is it any wonder he is angry at the world?

I know somebody who works at home and keeps Fox News on all the time while he is working. Is it any wonder he is angry at the world?

:lol:

:lol:

The sad thing is that this guy knows every scandal, every affair and every flaw of every politician he is opposed to, but he doesn't know what the real issues are.

My problem is that to a small extent I am actually a part of the medium I critisize.

Personally I think you can relax on that one. In fact I do the same! It's about discernment surely -- you don't need to listen to shock jock stations to write about pet rescue... :D

Sign in to follow this