Sign in to follow this  
Prince...

The International Tai Chi Chuan Symposium

Problem with CMA today is that everyone is "afraid" to cross hands. There is too much face to lose and risk by even friendly exchanges.

I would love to see these masters of various styles push hands with each other, but I know it will never happen. They will just do some solo forms and a few demos with their own compliant students.

Ironically, these arts were originally founded though when a guy would take on all challengers, and if he kept winning, only then did his style gain respect and street cred. That's how he tested and proved his art to himself and others.

But nowadays, masters just rest comfortably upon the reputations built by the founders centuries ago.

Edited by vortex

I attended their last conference in 2006. While I do not presume the participants were "afraid", there was a general disinterest in push hands and applications, in favor of forms and lectures.

During the entire conference, with 80+ attendees, I observed perhaps 8 people involved in partner practice. For me, that was a disappointment.

Sign in to follow this