Sign in to follow this  
NeutralWire

Self-Knowledge Practices (Poll)

Self-Knowledge Practices  

23 members have voted

1. 1. How does self-knowledge figure in amongst your practice?

• It's a main feature of my practice, I pursue it consciously and deliberately, and it's just as important as energy work or meditation.
    • I pursue it consciously and deliberately, but I would rate energy work and/or meditation as higher in importance.
    • I love it when self-knowledge turns up but I don't pursue it deliberately, it is a side-effect of other things I do.
    • Self-What?

Hi everyone,

This was really inspired by some answers (given by Karen and Mat Black, amongst others) in an earlier thread about how people behave/ought to behave on the forum. It was mentioned that even behaviour which is difficult to deal with can be used for self-knowledge purposes.

This made me wonder: how many people actually consider self-knowledge a deliberate cornerstone of their practices? Correct me if I'm wrong, but one really can't take for granted that 'Taoists' are pursuing self-knowledge in any particular way, or even at all. I have heard that Taoist monks at Wudang are required to work on themselves in that way, but I think you could run from one end of the Mantak Chia practices to the other without really encountering the concept. ;)

Personally, when I began a long time ago I wasn't thinking about self-knowledge too much, but having taken up with the Bardon practices, I am now deep into it. Bardon's point of view on this is very emphatic:

The first task is to know oneself... This self-analysis is one of the most important parts of magical preparatory work. Many occult systems neglect these important requirements; that is why they have only very limited success.

... a remark some might find a little inflammatory in a way, although I don't quote it for that reason.

For me, putting greater self-knowledge to work has resulted in a mind that is stronger and less distracted. I came to realize that subconscious, undealt-with issues are rife in me, and it has been revelatory to find that many things I thought were 'just the way I am' are really the results of decisions I'm making, which I can make differently once I see them in action. To me this turned out to be the very essence of personal development as I try and move towards some personal kind of wisdom. It also has been a very creative exercise, in fact I look on it as a kind of art, shaping myself.

I do recall Max (Lama Dorje) having said that the Kunlun energies eventually clue you in to parts of yourself you need to change, and it's then up to you what you do with that insight. Has anyone reached that stage of being pushed towards greater self-knowledge, and what was the result if you can share it?

And does anyone find this familiar? - I used to find that when blocks cleared in my energy system it would always be accompanied by emotional difficulty, because I was not aware of the actual emotional pattern consciously. I also used to experience the clearing of a block which would then return because I didn't have the psychological insight into how I was forming that block. Have others experienced this?

I'd be interested in Karen's point of view because I have heard that Heilkunst is very strong on this issue of finding underlying patterns and making them conscious. But then, I'd love to hear about anyone at all who had an interesting method or experience.

Thanks for your time!

All best wishes,

~NeutralWire~

This is a tricky one to even try to describe, 'Self-knowledge' I mean. My personal practice is to be aware of my self but not to build up knowledge, create another image, etc. For me it's not a matter of understanding who I am or regonizing my personal patterns/habits (although that is important pragmatically), it's a much larger attempt to find out wtf am I? How am I able to even think? How is it possible for me to experience? Etc.

So self-knowledge for me isn't part of my practice, it is my practice.

Edit: The definition of self-knowledge that I like to use is of the absolute self, the everything, Te/Tao, etc.

Edited by Unconditioned

I think self knowledge is important, and I don't know about a lot of other systems, but a lot of stuff that I've read from various methods mentions stuff about reflecting on yourself, your actions, what you should improve, and all that good stuff. It's about finding weak areas and then fixing them, I guess.

Now how successfully I may or may not execute that practice..... is different :P but I am aware of it and I do try, and I find it's just as important.

Cultivation is all about cultivating yourself, right? In all possible ways, right? You can build up all the energy you want, but if you're just a jerk....... so yeah :)

Self knowledge is integral to Mantak Chia's practices, and Taoist practises in general. It isnt possible to get a deep relationship with the hun and the po, the shen, the liver heat, the actions of the kidneys and the adrenals.. etc etc.. without self knowledge ensuing/ unfolding.

hello neutral wire

you are working through bardons initiation??? if so very very good choice! Bardons initiation is the base for me from which all my other practices and skills have grown. enjoy the work. the black and white mirror is the key!

metta

Adam

Hi everyone,

This was really inspired by some answers (given by Karen and Mat Black, amongst others) in an earlier thread about how people behave/ought to behave on the forum. It was mentioned that even behaviour which is difficult to deal with can be used for self-knowledge purposes.

This made me wonder: how many people actually consider self-knowledge a deliberate cornerstone of their practices? Correct me if I'm wrong, but one really can't take for granted that 'Taoists' are pursuing self-knowledge in any particular way, or even at all. I have heard that Taoist monks at Wudang are required to work on themselves in that way, but I think you could run from one end of the Mantak Chia practices to the other without really encountering the concept. ;)

Personally, when I began a long time ago I wasn't thinking about self-knowledge too much, but having taken up with the Bardon practices, I am now deep into it. Bardon's point of view on this is very emphatic:

... a remark some might find a little inflammatory in a way, although I don't quote it for that reason.

For me, putting greater self-knowledge to work has resulted in a mind that is stronger and less distracted. I came to realize that subconscious, undealt-with issues are rife in me, and it has been revelatory to find that many things I thought were 'just the way I am' are really the results of decisions I'm making, which I can make differently once I see them in action. To me this turned out to be the very essence of personal development as I try and move towards some personal kind of wisdom. It also has been a very creative exercise, in fact I look on it as a kind of art, shaping myself.

I do recall Max (Lama Dorje) having said that the Kunlun energies eventually clue you in to parts of yourself you need to change, and it's then up to you what you do with that insight. Has anyone reached that stage of being pushed towards greater self-knowledge, and what was the result if you can share it?

And does anyone find this familiar? - I used to find that when blocks cleared in my energy system it would always be accompanied by emotional difficulty, because I was not aware of the actual emotional pattern consciously. I also used to experience the clearing of a block which would then return because I didn't have the psychological insight into how I was forming that block. Have others experienced this?

I'd be interested in Karen's point of view because I have heard that Heilkunst is very strong on this issue of finding underlying patterns and making them conscious. But then, I'd love to hear about anyone at all who had an interesting method or experience.

Thanks for your time!

All best wishes,

~NeutralWire~

Thanks for the responses... not sure the question really captured people's imagination, it was probably how I phrased it.

You are working through bardons initiation??? if so very very good choice! Bardons initiation is the base for me from which all my other practices and skills have grown. enjoy the work.

Thankyou very much, I will and already am!

How does self-knowledge differ from meditation?

Good question. In my practice it all seems very clear, you have meditation which is about mastering the mind, and you have self-knowledge which is to do with mastering the character. Essentially your job is to move continuously towards the best person you can imagine being in as balanced a manner as possible. And you begin by saying, how do I in fact behave?

To me it has always seemed like a chess game, or a solitaire game of cards, the first thing you have to do is turn over the cards and see, what is the position? What do I have to work with? To me that's is the beginning of self-knowledge. You definitely can meditate on your behaviour or whatever and gain insight, and I do that alot, but it's different from other forms of meditation, a special subset.

Obviously other practices don't work this way. I was very interested when Cat wrote:

It isnt possible to get a deep relationship with the hun and the po, the shen, the liver heat, the actions of the kidneys and the adrenals.. etc etc.. without self knowledge ensuing/ unfolding.

.. because although I practiced Mantak a little I certainly didn't get to the stage where I felt I really had a handle on myself and could have a definite effect on my behaviour, knew who I was etc. etc. Maybe that would have come later... I didn't connect with the practice in the end so for me it was academic. Can you give an example of self-knowledge the way you think about it?

~NeutralWire~

Sign in to follow this