Sign in to follow this  
irkk

hello to everyone

I mean Yin Yoga by Paul Grilley. It is a form of yoga which is rather passive compared to other yoga styles (considered Yang Yoga by Paul Grilley) like for example Ashtanga yoga. All poses are held in a relaxed way for about 5 minutes. Yin Yoga focuses on joints, ligaments and fascia not on muscles.

Wow! I just googled and found Paul Grilley's home page and this is now on my must buy list. :)

I found it especially helpful to alleviate pain from long sitting.

And damn do I need this! I sat in full lotus for 45 minutes on Thursday (usually I just sit Burmese) and I lost track of my body so when my timer went off and I "came back" I thought I was going to have to call for help to get out of the pose, it was quite painful. :lol:

As for zdorovye, i think it is an earlier form of warrior wellnes and body flow but the movements are much more clearly presented. You can find almost all movements from warrior wellnes, with a clearer explanation of the angles of execution etc. plus some movements that are not on the warrior wellnes dvd.

Then it includes floor poses that are not in warrior wellnes but in the beginning stage of body flow.

These movements are also presented in a clearer way than on the body flow DVD.

I became kind of frustrated because the body flow dvd does not include enough instruction (at least for me) but I am happy practising the beginning stages of body flow from the zdorovye videos.

Great review. I'm sold! :) I had thought that Zdorovye was just an earlier somewhat less sophisticated version of what later became WW and BodyFlow.

Thanks for all the helpful information!

Sean.

There a basically three methods to get into Yin Yoga without attending a workshop:

1, You can get the book from Paul Grilley titled Yin Yoga

2, You can get the DVD set from pranayama

3, You can get the Yin & Vinyasa Yoga DVD from Sarah

Powers (www.sarahpowers.com)

The DVD set includes from Paul Grilley includes an entire DVD that explains the theory of Yin Yoga and the differences to "Yang" Yoga, so I feel you do not need to get the book if you get the DVD set.

The DVD by Sarah Powers contains a combined Yin and Yang Yoga session. Sarah powers combines her approach with a mindfulness approach. I think there is some vipassana influence in her teaching.

She explains and talks a lot during the poses. I have found that some people find that annoying when repeating the session on a daily basis, but you can turn the sound off if you need.

Over time I have practiced Sarah Powers Yin Yoga set the most as I feel it adresses my problem areas best and is very helpful to make long meditation sitting sessions easier. In fact she mentions, that that was one reason for her to include Yin Yoga in her training.

Sarah Powers' approach sounds interesting. Do you think I will get a full understanding of Yin Yoga through her DVD or should I start with Paul Grilley?

Looks like Sarah Powers is from San Francisco near where I live but she travels a lot. She'll be out in November though doing a class and I think I'll catch it.

Thanks again for turning me on to this aspect of Yoga.

Sean.

Sign in to follow this