Pau-Li

Wing Chun

Ok here u can talk everything about Wing Chun.

I got great pfd books about Wing Chun and it's chi energy systems.

If someone wants them i can send them in msn messenger(they are too big for email).

Edited by Pau-Li

Thing with CMA is that I don't even think most teachers today really understand a lot of the "design intents" used in them...

IMAG0010.JPG

For example, why the "awkward" pigeon-toed stance in WC? I think I recently figured out why, but who knows what the original intent was? This is why I think any art should come with full explanations of every move, otherwise people in the future will just be going through the motions and not know WTF they're actually doing...and also be afraid to adapt and evolve the art, since they won't know if they are taking something crucial out or not.

I trained in Wing Chun exclusively for ~ 8 years during the 80's and early 90's.

Great system of training. I still try and keep my forms fresh but don't get much chance to do Chi Sao or drills.

For example, why the "awkward" pigeon-toed stance in WC? I think I recently figured out why, but who knows what the original intent was? This is why I think any art should come with full explanations of every move, otherwise people in the future will just be going through the motions and not know WTF they're actually doing...and also be afraid to adapt and evolve the art, since they won't know if they are taking something crucial out or not.

That was the first thing I was taught, with an explanation of why :)

Cool, what was the explanation?

Basically that your stance and footwork provide the foundation upon which everything happens. If your stance is weak then it will make your hand techniques ineffective. The alignment of the pelvis and spine are more important than the angle of your knees and where exactly it is that your toes are pointing, but as long as the thighs have some medial rotation to them you're basically ok...and dont have the knees (much?) past the toes. A lot of it is simply grounding - I dont have a lot of martial arts experience, but some people are just amazingly connected to the ground and its noticeable by even hanging out with the person, it seems to translate right over to how they stand or spar (a few that come to mind from personal experience would be Lin, Max, or this older really amazing taiji guy I met last year in oregon.) At Lin's a couple weeks ago, an 'elder brother' of his stops by on occasion with a latest really good point you may have forgotten about, and it relates here - when stepping, you cant step and have your leg fully extended; your knee needs to be over the ankle in order for your step to survive.

So its grounding. Solid, functional.

How can one be in control and effective if they dont know where their center is at all times? (i.e. off balance)

Basically that your stance and footwork provide the foundation upon which everything happens. If your stance is weak then it will make your hand techniques ineffective. The alignment of the pelvis and spine are more important than the angle of your knees and where exactly it is that your toes are pointing, but as long as the thighs have some medial rotation to them you're basically ok...and dont have the knees (much?) past the toes. A lot of it is simply grounding - I dont have a lot of martial arts experience, but some people are just amazingly connected to the ground and its noticeable by even hanging out with the person, it seems to translate right over to how they stand or spar (a few that come to mind from personal experience would be Lin, Max, or this older really amazing taiji guy I met last year in oregon.) At Lin's a couple weeks ago, an 'elder brother' of his stops by on occasion with a latest really good point you may have forgotten about, and it relates here - when stepping, you cant step and have your leg fully extended; your knee needs to be over the ankle in order for your step to survive.

So its grounding. Solid, functional.

How can one be in control and effective if they dont know where their center is at all times? (i.e. off balance)

You remembered! Wonderful!

Er Zi Qian Yang Ma- Clamping the Sheep Horse Stance, Toes not to be turned in all the way in order to save one's ankles, Knees over toes, pelvis tucked in, spine pulled down, shoulders over hips, weight down the center of the foot to distribute it evenly.

Its for rooting, stretching the muscles of the lower back to stimulate the ming-men, lengthen the spine, strengthen the knees and condition the muscles of the legs, lower back, and middle back. Not many can stand in that posture for a short/long period of time without their muscles aching- says a lot about how much people are utilizing their muscles.

There's more about it, but this is a simplified version.

Peace,

Lin

Edited by 林愛偉