Sign in to follow this  
Manaus

Dantien and other places

Hello,

if I start to keep my attention on the lower tantien, my attention is brought to other parts of the body, namely the throat, where I feel stronger sensations. Actually it is asking for attention. What do you think I should do? Follow the events and wait the sensation to be cleared, or try to build a strong field in the dantien? Please notice that I am at a very early stage.

Thank you very much

Hello,

if I start to keep my attention on the lower tantien, my attention is brought to other parts of the body, namely the throat, where I feel stronger sensations. Actually it is asking for attention. What do you think I should do? Follow the events and wait the sensation to be cleared, or try to build a strong field in the dantien? Please notice that I am at a very early stage.

Thank you very much

If you have a teacher then you should go and discuss this with them. If not - it is important to maintain your practice. So if you set out to focus on the lower Tan Tien but get reactions in other parts of the body, then just note those feelings but continue to focus on Lower Tan Tien. Gently move your attention back to the point of concentration. You need to be relaxed but persistent.

The throat centre is important though and you might want to look up exercises specific to it.

My yoga instructor always takes us back to our breath. Whenever I get distracted or find myself latching on to thoughts I go back to my breath. After re-establishing my breath, I return to my original intention.

Breathing in, know that you are breathing in.

Breathing out, know that you are breathing out.

Thanks Eric and Apepch.

The problem is that if some part of the body requests for attention, and I try to concentrate on the dantien, then attention is split. Or as such it seems, because one cannot really split concentration, can he? So the result is a jumping here and there. And because Taoism is a way of water, or lesser effort, one ends up concentrating on the stronger sensation, doesn't he?

Thanks Drew, I'll check the website and maybe I'll give it a try. Did u try it? Is it different from m.chia's instructions? (with which I had a hard time, they just don't work for me).

Focus on Dan Tian and build the Qi there which will then move to the areas that need attention.

The Dan Tian is the place you want things to come and go from... :D

Ape

Thanks Eric and Apepch.

The problem is that if some part of the body requests for attention, and I try to concentrate on the dantien, then attention is split. Or as such it seems, because one cannot really split concentration, can he? So the result is a jumping here and there. And because Taoism is a way of water, or lesser effort, one ends up concentrating on the stronger sensation, doesn't he?

Thanks Drew, I'll check the website and maybe I'll give it a try. Did u try it? Is it different from m.chia's instructions? (with which I had a hard time, they just don't work for me).

In most people awareness (or the mind) is already scattered. Learning to settle the mind and concentrate (in an effortless way) is something everyone has to learn. You may find that the feeling in certain parts of the body is quite intense because of previously established patterns, habitual ways of being and perhaps energy blockages. It may be necessary to do something specific to change this (for which you need the guidance of a competent teacher). But otherwise you need to 'set the intent' of settling the mind in a restful and yet aware state on the lower Tan Tien (if that is your practice), notice the various other feelings in the body, thoughts and emotions and so on without following them - and return gently to the object of your focus when you realise that your mind has drifted. I agree with the poster above who suggested the breath as the focus of your meditation as this is the most widely used starting point.

Chunyi Lin made a rad small universe c.d. and he works with the Mayo Clinic healing patients of late-term cancer -- so his energy is on the c.d. as well. I recommend the book "Taoist Yoga: Alchemy and Immorality" by Charles Luk to go along with the practice.

Heres some thoughts on that subject... of the attention being drawn to the throat....

Consider perhaps your attention draws to your throat as internal dialog builds and you are subvocalizing. This might explain why as "thoughts" are coming up from emptiness, why the eye of attention changes...

as the throat is the plac ein which the breath is regulated, use it as an opportunity to subvocalize primary sounds of breath regulation and sink the eye back to the dan tien in the process.

we regulate chi gung breath with Hen/Haa shaped draw, which shapes the wave in/out, if your talking to yourself, your rippling the wave... if your singing to yourself, your rippling the wave also. Ever heard a sick person groan? Makes me wonder.

THis is why standing is so good because the bodies metabolic changes that cycle during gung brings the mental dialog to a pause/stop and you can really get a good clean deep breath outside of the mental/physical box so many have put themselves in. ONE breath frm the dan tien when your boiling in a unified field will give just as much as an hour massage. Shoulders drop, people cease "holding" themselves, etc... the fundmental differences between these arts and western atheletic culture are profound.

Edited by Spectrum

Sign in to follow this