Adj

The Tao Bums Know-it-Alls

I'm still figuring this freaky place out. I'm not sure I'm opting for a Taoist path for the same reasons as the vocal majority here, and some of the voices here freak me out, some of them make me uncomfortable, and some of them astound me and blow my mind with their brilliant and beautiful words. I've been a member of other boards for other subjects but none of them have ever featured such diverse characters as this joint. I'm not sure I see rampant know it all-ism, but there are some people who seem to have really strong opinions that I find offensive at times. Considering that diversity thing though, it's inevitable and this place is growing on me despite the posters that get me all riled up and annoyed when I read their discomforting thoughts.

First, I apologize if I've said something that was freaky or that made someone/anyone here feel uncomfortable. The latter is not my intention, and I hope the offended parties will forgive me. :(

My guess is that many members here have gone down some sort of rabbit hole or other. It can get really freaky, relative to the common experiences of most people, the further down you go. (Plato's allegory of the cave comes to mind.) Sometimes some of us forget that what we take as a given, or as normal or understood, may appear bizarre, disquieting, or even down-right false to other observers, regardless of the latter's experience level: We are all on a unique path, so perhaps it is inevitable for members of an arbitrarily large population, if they are honestly expressing themselves, to have voices that create dissonance with our own, familiar worlds.

I try not to mention rabbit-hole experiences (they are all empty, anyway), and I have yet to read something on this forum that has made me uncomfortable or offended. Perhaps I am that strange? :ph34r:

Anyway, I like TTB, all of them: know-it-alls or know-nothings, novices or masters, martial artists or healers, the comedians and the serious, the yin and the yang.

Semi-random thoughts from a know-nothing swordsman... just my $0.02, haha.

push :angry:

yield :mellow:

^_^

Took me until a few minutes of this posting to figure out this post... *looks down at the ground*

I'm sorry I didn't mean to come at you like that... going back to movement within stillness instead of the opposite.

Took me until a few minutes of this posting to figure out this post... *looks down at the ground*

I'm sorry I didn't mean to come at you like that... going back to movement within stillness instead of the opposite.

I was replying to spectrum who reguested that i do push hands with him and some others.

^_^

It does not matter what others do or do not know. Neither certainty nor authority matter, ultimately. The sincere will to know for oneself is all that matters. If you question authority, be sincerely empty - or share in the very know-it-allness that seems to be at issue.

It does not matter what others do or do not know. Neither certainty nor authority matter, ultimately. The sincere will to know for oneself is all that matters. If you question authority, be sincerely empty - or share in the very know-it-allness that seems to be at issue.

Your reply rings loud and clear :)

Michael

Adj,

How about using this experience to learn something about yourself - ask yourself what you can learn from this sense of disappointment. Disappointment happens when we have expectations - find out what the expectation is, and why is it there? If you felt you needed something from the forum and didn't get it, what is that need really about - what is the pattern, the essence of it, the primal feeling behind it. There is a lot of room for some good inner exploration there!

The practical situation is usually only a stage for us to play out our inner patterns.. I can tell you that I can find my own patterns in just about every interaction I have, if I look at my own reactions and impressions. The opportunity for awareness comes up a hundred times a day - pretty generous of the universe, I'd say! :).

Best,

Karen

Karen,

Awesome point. I am glad you said this. Disappointment does happen when we have expectations. So you're right. My expectation was to learn more about what I study, more specifically feel guided and not seemingly alone in my studies. For my -only- teacher in any of this is books.

To delve deeper, why do I want communicate and share ideas with others involved with what I am learning and why do I think I want it?

Why?

Because I am new and don't know if what I am doing is right.

Why else?

Make like-minded friends.

Why else?

Keep motivated with my studies.

Why else.....

learn and share.

For my -only- teacher in any of this is books.

I would suggest that the teachers are all around, everywhere, in people, animals, everyday situations of fear and loss, and when my computer was sick with the blue screen of death :).

Of course it's wonderful when we have teachers that embody the qualities we're developing, and support groups like TTB. But even when those things are there, still we have to discover and work the real lessons for ourselves internally. I'm just pointing out that whatever we DO get, even if it wasn't what we thought we were looking for, holds a hidden lesson-gift.

And often in the process, we discover that the teacher isn't perfect. It's a crisis of faith we have to go through, in order to develop our own mature faith that isn't dependent on a teacher as a parental figure. So yeah, I know that feeling of disappointment when the teacher or the support group or fellow disciples seem more flawed than you wanted them to be :).

Personally what I feel is helpful then, is to explore that feeling of disappointment further down to its roots. It may be connected to deeper feelings of ungroundedness, fear of not having enough support, loneliness, etc. Then you can focus on the unresolved deeper issues.

When a situation comes up that pushes your buttons, you can trace it back and focus on the real issue instead of what triggered it. Because if the deeper issue were resolved, the current situation wouldn't have any emotional charge - your reaction would be "so what else is new."

I find this generally a helpful way of working with any situation that pushes my buttons, when I'm aware of reacting to something out of past patterns and not being with the situation for exactly what it is in the present. It's ongoing work to sort out our own projections from what's really there - Anais Nin said something like, "we see things as we are, not as they are."

Maybe you are already in the process of getting all those things you are looking for? And maybe a few lessons your conscious mind wasn't particularly looking for, crept into the mix to give you a little push ;-).

Best,

Karen

I find it helpful that the forums mirror the real world in this respect. I've at least as much from my reactions to know-it-alls and the like as I have from the more insightful posters.

If someone makes you angry it's a perfect opportunity to watch what is happening at various levels - are they contradicting a belief you're holding on to? Are you reacting to their style which is counter to what you prefer?

Etc. etc. etc.

If someone makes you angry it's a perfect opportunity to watch what is happening at various levels - are they contradicting a belief you're holding on to? Are you reacting to their style which is counter to what you prefer?

Etc. etc. etc.

Exactly, with plenty of etceteras! I also look at my own desire for validation from others, and how I feel when I don't get that. Posting online is a great opportunity for looking at that.

I can always find some bit of attachment to that, even when I think there isn't. But how would I feel if no one ever agreed with me or saw things my way at all? That's a challenge. It's easy to say "we shouldn't need that validation," but quite another thing to process the feelings consciously and go through that process of letting go of the layers and layers and layers of attachment.

-Karen

:lol: rollback-press :D

forums are a invaluable tool for free dialog and research. These priceless words reinforce and comb our practices. It is the mind that needs the most grooming, the body will follow, if you can understand something first in your mind, if even for a moment, you experience something or... ahah you get it... then you can do it, because you have the impression in your mind.

I have not been gifted with the ability to repeat instantaneously movement that is shown to me, I have to i guess "feel" my way through it to understand it, I have been around people recently who can repeat a movement the first time they see it, even on a dv-freaking-d... and this is surely a useful skill for the movement artist... but there is also the mind dialog, if your dialog "holds you back" then it is useful to engage in dialog that is progressively guiding and leading you towards your goals.

Nice thread Adj -

So what is this, a symptom of enthusiasm or a vehicle for the ego?

Both?

I'm certainly guilty of both enthusiasm and ego but I'm working on it!

:)

I have not been gifted with the ability to repeat instantaneously movement that is shown to me, I have to i guess "feel" my way through it to understand it, I have been around people recently who can repeat a movement the first time they see it, even on a dv-freaking-d... and this is surely a useful skill for the movement artist... but there is also the mind dialog, if your dialog "holds you back" then it is useful to engage in dialog that is progressively guiding and leading you towards your goals.

No offense, and I don't mean to be Highering my ego (Don't mean to be Plus you need to realize I have been Dyslexic all my life) But this is not so hard to do... Copy someone almost exactly... I'm not saying i can do it 100% and only a few moves at a time. I've seen others that can do much more. My personal issue lies in i don't remember unless i do it a 3-5 times until short term memory has it. Not until it hits my memory then i can start having sensations that give me proprieties of moves.

In all I learn very fast i think but I do have to be healthy to do so... Currently I'm definately not. So i gotta deal with my health.

There is an aspect of taoism where you relax smile and let the crazy world go on around you.

Michael

:)

Like that.

...ummm, uhohhh?

i get kinda "pemesie" ... and stuck in my head ... especially after a hard day at work ... and forget to read the whole thread??? and then the next day i realize i said what i said not the way it was meant to be said ... and end up wishing i hadn't said it ... at least not the way i said it!!! ... i also forget that folks have No idea of where i am coming from sometimes or this crazy life that's been being lived? like Someone said we're all coming from different places and experiences no matter what perceived level folks are at those levels are tainted by each of our own lives ... i'm rambling hmm?

Ok, what i'm saying is ...

I like my Ego ... but damn? I'm an Ass (... capitol A) :ph34r:

all i can say is

Don't forget the "human-factor" that comes into play :D

Sometimes folks are happy other times bitchy, goofy and playful or confused and weepy ...

We all have good thinking and self destructive moments in life

It's worth watching and listening to each other

or ourselves

Some fun stuff to be learned i think?

So don't mind my big Ego ... i (just) named it Sal :)

and enjoy!

Stay well,

Shon

But this is not so hard to do... Copy someone almost exactly... I'm not saying i can do it 100% and only a few moves at a time. I've seen others that can do much more.

Some people are good kinaesthetically some are not. I'm not. I was never good at sports as a child and I was quite disconnected from my body. Show me something new and even if I think I've got it a mirror will reveal the truth :)

The body control is getting better from Tai Chi and Kung Fu but you also have to learn to "see" the move. Over time I'm "noticing" more when watching my Sifu teach. We often joke that he changes the moves. He doesn't, we just see more and more over time.

Being able to copy well is a good gift to have. Enjoy using it :)

When I first found this wonderful site -I felt like I'd come home. Fellow seekers and practitioners and open-minded questioning of big picture issues and the micro-cosmic orbit as well !!! :D - I thought I'd found heaven on earth... I soon there-after got into a big "brew-ha-ha" with the Verdesi spokesman and totally lost my cool. & even tho many sent me PMs thanking me for taking on that situation I was embarassed by the low levels of give and take it produced...

I've recently been harshly attacked by hate-mongers for being a multi-culturalist on another site- could we imagine such a travisty of closed-mindedness here? I think not...

That we are so large a group now is astounding and makes it ever more difficult for us to "ALL get along" I believe we are doing very well as a mini-society. There is very little harshness -some small rancorous give & take from time to time - but I think our inter-actions are particularly civilized as compaired to other places I've visited... We ARE talking about "Religion & Politics " quite often -which in most scenerios creates trouble a-plenty! :o

& even tho I am proud of my 55 years grasping for answers and gleaning truth from the BS around me I have learned more here in these past few years than any single place I can think of! :huh:

I may be one of the loud-mouths ;) but I hope my gratitude out-weighs my hubris- Love to all- Pat B)

Edited by Wayfarer64

I've recently been harshly attacked by hate-mongers for being a multi-culturalist on another site- could we imagine such a travisty of closed-mindedness here? I think not...

I may be one of the loud-mouths ;) but I hope my gratitude out-weighs my hubris- Love to all- Pat B)

Same here, I posted something that was from a different tradition and got reprimanded on that forum. I left the forum last week but Truth is Truth, why the need to suppress it? That's what I REALLY like about this place, ideas flow freely to be discussed, investigated, and sometimes dissected until there's nothing left :P

And as my old music teacher used to say: If you're going to make a mistake, make it loud =)

Edited by Unconditioned

So to sum up the idea of this thread: one ego is offended by another for being too egoish? :lol:

well said, well said.

anyone been to the amazon religion forums?

:lol:

thats pretty brutal. I can't believe the amount of trash. And on a site for people who like books! Maybe they don't read them, just make wishlists.