Adj

The Tao Bums Know-it-Alls

When I came to these boards I was hoping for a neutral sharing on knowledge and practices for every ones personal growth and development.

However, it seems to me that there are many here who uses these forms as a way to flex their, "I-am-so-wise-and-sage" muscles dropping profound statements cheaply in incorrect context like a teenager who just learned a cool new phrase.

Instead of using these forums to learn and grow they use them as a vehicle to feed their ego about how much smarter they are than others instead of listening and learning and sharing.

Even sometimes I see people who treat their view like a religion and PUSH their ideals down your throat with such zeal that seeking understanding is no longer possible.

This is a disappointment that there could not be a forum for level headed adults without the egos and the emotion and the flaming etc... The ONLY forum that SHOULDN'T have it has it just as much as any other but a little extra punch from the religious zealots. What a disappointment.

Or.....

I remember as a young teenager learning of Newtons third law of motion, before I learned to be HUMBLE and LISTEN.

I would talk about what I learned with such enthusiasm that I would come across as a know-it-all and I remember dropping "For every action there is an equal but opposite reaction" in almost every situation(even when out of context), kind of like many do here with other great phrases.

Perhaps what I am disappointed about is a symptom of ENTHUSIASM not EGOISM?

So what is this, a symptom of enthusiasm or a vehicle for the ego?

Both?

And how do you feel about this?

I frankly feel disappointed that if some one has a question in relation to their studies they get picked apart and burnt on a steak by those with different views.

When I came to these boards I was hoping for a neutral sharing on knowledge and practices for every ones personal growth and development.

However, it seems to me that there are many here who uses these forms as a way to flex their, "I-am-so-wise-and-sage" muscles dropping profound statements cheaply in incorrect context like a teenager who just learned a cool new phrase.

Instead of using these forums to learn and grow they use them as a vehicle to feed their ego about how much smarter they are than others instead of listening and learning and sharing.

Even sometimes I see people who treat their view like a religion and PUSH their ideals down your throat with such zeal that seeking understanding is no longer possible.

This is a disappointment that there could not be a forum for level headed adults without the egos and the emotion and the flaming etc... The ONLY forum that SHOULDN'T have it has it just as much as any other but a little extra punch from the religious zealots. What a disappointment.

Or.....

I remember as a young teenager learning of Newtons third law of motion, before I learned to be HUMBLE and LISTEN.

I would talk about what I learned with such enthusiasm that I would come across as a know-it-all and I remember dropping "For every action there is an equal but opposite reaction" in almost every situation(even when out of context), kind of like many do here with other great phrases.

Perhaps what I am disappointed about is a symptom of ENTHUSIASM not EGOISM?

So what is this, a symptom of enthusiasm or a vehicle for the ego?

Both?

And how do you feel about this?

I frankly feel disappointed that if some one has a question in relation to their studies they get picked apart and burnt on a steak by those with different views.

:( I thought we were doing pretty good lately.

I usually try to

1. think things through, before replying to a post.

2. not get angry at disagreements (though I can get a bit sarcastic on occasion)

^_^

We are. Which thread are you reading Adj?

Edit

The Tao Bums Know-it-Alls Good or bad?

Master Nan & Bill Bodri - circulation being a waste of time

What is wrong with the new age movement?

How humans are not physically created to eat meat

Martial arts strikes 'time delayed' effects

Celibate or not * 12

Reverse breathing against the Dao?

Practice problem microcosmic orbit

Except for Practice problem microcosmic orbit I would expect the above to get a bit polarized and heated.

Unfortunately not everyone plays nice. But the world is like that and we live in it. Usually we get on alright, most of the time.

I'm still figuring this freaky place out. I'm not sure I'm opting for a Taoist path for the same reasons as the vocal majority here, and some of the voices here freak me out, some of them make me uncomfortable, and some of them astound me and blow my mind with their brilliant and beautiful words. I've been a member of other boards for other subjects but none of them have ever featured such diverse characters as this joint. I'm not sure I see rampant know it all-ism, but there are some people who seem to have really strong opinions that I find offensive at times. Considering that diversity thing though, it's inevitable and this place is growing on me despite the posters that get me all riled up and annoyed when I read their discomforting thoughts.

Edited by soundhunter

since coming to the taobums, ive tried to post on a few other forums.

it didnt work out.

The bums are the are the only ones on the internet that feel "real"

Its sort of like a gathering of people who are in the business of being people.

you can find people who get angry when their viewpoints are challenged anywhere on the net.

but this is the only place where ive seen someone admit that they are wrong.

^_^

We are. Which thread are you reading Adj?

Edit

The Tao Bums Know-it-Alls Good or bad?

Master Nan & Bill Bodri - circulation being a waste of time

What is wrong with the new age movement?

How humans are not physically created to eat meat

Martial arts strikes 'time delayed' effects

Celibate or not * 12

Reverse breathing against the Dao?

Practice problem microcosmic orbit

Except for Practice problem microcosmic orbit I would expect the above to get a bit polarized and heated.

Unfortunately not everyone plays nice. But the world is like that and we live in it. Usually we get on alright, most of the time.

Agreed, however when I have a question I often use the search tool and reading some of the replies, whoa! Its okay though.

Just wanted to see what everyone thinks.

Im not leaving, don't worry. ;)

Agreed, however when I have a question I often use the search tool and reading some of the replies, whoa! Its okay though.

Just wanted to see what everyone thinks.

Im not leaving, don't worry. ;)

Thank you for you sober reminder. Made me aware that often times my own posts may slip onto some enigmatic bullshit. It's tricky. There's a fine line between being sincere and being just plain stupid or arrogant. The most tricky part is that if you work with the nature of Qi and speaking from somwhere else than just your celebral self (many buddhist forums are wayyy too top-heavy), then you're opening up Pandora's box to a whole range of interesting, bizarre, irritating and somtimes just blunt and hurtful places. But this is not a straightforward place. Take time and read the fine print in some answers, and discard the bad ones

What this place has shown me is the fact the we may have fruitful discussions or share important info and at the same time practice tolerance and patience. Then again, keeping it real is probably the hardest thing in here.

Thank you for you post,

h

I've been known to drop in a few sarcastic one-liner's now and again, but there's definitely no malice.

This forum is about sharing information and comparing practices, and I can't think of a better place to do that.

I've lurked here for years and only started posting recently, but what I've learned from this site has been invaluable.

OK, so our ego's get in the way sometimes, but that's just part of being human I'm afraid.

so, you had a dissapointment

so sorry to "hurt your feelings"

duh.

welcome to the real world

keep a straight upper lip :lol:

I think that's what hits a visitor like a ton of bricks when they visit this site. Most do the right thing and keep on truckin'...

:lol:

I think that's what hits a visitor like a ton of bricks when they visit this site. Most do the right thing and keep on truckin'...

:lol:

I just caught myself doing something dumb. I will do my best to pay better attention in the future. To thoughs that noticed sorry. ;)

I think some of us here (like me) are just extremely skeptical, and burnt out on all this spiritual marketing bullshit, there are 100,000,000 newagey type books published every month and almost none of them have any legit information. I've watched friends from high school piss their life away believing they can accomplish anything via magick (like hollowing out mountains, and creating animated skeletons) taking it to delusional levels.

I don't know if I count as a know-it-all, but I do believe some practices are more effective than others. Twirling around with a spellbook chanting a spell and brewing a alchemical potion isn't likely to get me anywhere nearer towards my end goal of liberation, for that reason I want to make sure any practices I use have been tried and tested and produce results.

I like to practices which have been validated, with hard evidence. gTummo, and Mo Pai are two such practices. I am also interested in other forms of qigong/neigong but I really don't care much about anything else unless there is good evidence to validate it.

Adj,

How about using this experience to learn something about yourself - ask yourself what you can learn from this sense of disappointment. Disappointment happens when we have expectations - find out what the expectation is, and why is it there? If you felt you needed something from the forum and didn't get it, what is that need really about - what is the pattern, the essence of it, the primal feeling behind it. There is a lot of room for some good inner exploration there!

The practical situation is usually only a stage for us to play out our inner patterns.. I can tell you that I can find my own patterns in just about every interaction I have, if I look at my own reactions and impressions. The opportunity for awareness comes up a hundred times a day - pretty generous of the universe, I'd say! :).

Best,

Karen

Adj,

I don't know how best to explain this although, (and i don't do a good job at Rightful Speech) but sadly i doom myself by trying to speak anyways and trying to address the issue.

Although this forum isn't like that, my prospective is everyone is on their path, people have issues.

I suggest the best way to handle this it just to let it go right by, best not to interact with it.

Can't fault someone for having issues can you?

I usually try to

1. think things through, before replying to a post.

2. not get angry at disagreements (though I can get a bit sarcastic on occasion)

^_^

In my experience of your posts Phore you do a good job with it.

In written communication like this, these things :):angry::lol: can help convey the tone, but it is still written communication and vocal and visual cues are missing.

When I read my own posts they sometimes seem a lot more serious than I was when I wrote them.

I think the alternative views are valuable.

Many people express openly at their level of experience and understanding.

It is quite good I think.

Not many real experts here either.

Mostly folks just making their way :)

Also, if you are looking for perfection of any kind, stay in the realm of ideas, becasue we humans will surely get it nice and dirty :lol:

welcome <_<

The point of all this... the how is critical.

How you disagree, show skepticism, or do anything.

Being derogatory, condescending, or in any way offensive with your opinion shows psychological issues/attachments (namely to your current perspective, ideology, dogma, ...whatever)... that you would think people here would be into digging through... like finding whats under it and unearthing it. I guess it this is dependent on why they meditate.

I guess it shows that, you can develop the body, but that doesn't mean you've removed attachments or developed the mind/being?

Like the story of the high level mo pai master who held on to hatred, even though his body was highly developed.

The funny thing is depending how the arguing is done, can really hinder any kind of advancement of knowledge or finding the truth, or really help find a better truth. Usually it creates polarity, people for/against and a whole bunch of energy is wasted going no where.

People get attached to their viewpoint, and can't handle letting go of where they are at, to try on the other side and see if it is actually true. Or they just out right refuse to let go of their viewpoint.... or accept some information.

It's a bummer really... because there are so many really smart and knowledgeable people here.

If people would stop and ask: "Why am I arguing with this person?" I think it would help a lot.

The "lol your stupid/my viewpoint is better" bullshit is a waste of time.

John

Edited by JohnC

The Rookie said what I was gonna. But I'll add, ofcourse we'd better take advice here with a grain of salt, we're strangers with various degrees of experience and hubris :). There are some great people here and I think 98% mean well.

I'm sure the people you accuse of Knowing it all would readily admit they don't. I read a report on media bias. Those who saw the most media bias were those at the spectrume extremes.

There is an aspect of taoism where you relax smile and let the crazy world go on around you.

Michael

If it weren't for the know-it-alls and the my-practice-is-the-one-the-only posters The Tao Bums would be boring. If you had dropped in a couple of months ago you would have been completely shocked. We're on good behavior the past few weeks. TTBs goes in cycles. Amongst the know-it-alls there are some genuinely knowledgeable people and some really nice folks. Hang around long enough and you'll find them.

The beauty of the forum i s that you are not stuck face to face with someone chewing your ear.

If i'm obnoxious. ego centered, pushing my way - it's so easy not to react and move on.

The lesson might be our egos tugging to react.

We're on good behavior the past few weeks.

heha yes wait till we release the hounds

release-the-hounds.jpg

(although if you have been searching some of our more opinion polarizing topics you will have seen that)

One of the first things I read when I stumbled upon this site were the David Verdesi/Foundation Training debates. Nothing I have seen on here recently is anywhere near that level of intense negativity and ego B) . Not much on here bothers me after reading those.

Conversation between strangers over the internet lacks so many of the normal mechanisms and safeguards governing human interaction. But I really think this forum is a special place. So I just try not to take anything here personally and steer clear of the minefields.

Oh no... did I just sound like a know-it-all? :lol: