ralis

Phowa and Stigmata

I know that phowa has been discussed on here before. However, why does one need a hole in one's head in order to control transference of consciousness. Is that not spiritual materialism? There are many documented cases of stigmata and I wonder if this phenomenon falls in this category. BTW, I have been taught phowa by a Lama and I still can't find my hole.

ralis

I had a pretty amazing experience once where blood came out. It was about 3-4 fingers posterior to the hair line. More in front of the actual crown area. I think the acupoint is called "fontanelle spot" or something similar.

I think it's really spiritual materialism. Blood coming out and having a hole...those are just signs. The actual thing that matters is what's happening in terms of your spirit.

I wouldn't necessarily attribute signs of the accomplishment of a practice to spiritual materialism. There are modern day accounts of non-practitioners doing phowa when dying with others practising phowa on their behalf who after death exhibited certain physical signs which indicated the success or otherwise of the practice. What these physical signs were the accounts didn't mention - well the ones I had access to anyway.

I wouldn't necessarily attribute signs of the accomplishment of a practice to spiritual materialism. There are modern day accounts of non-practitioners doing phowa when dying with others practising phowa on their behalf who after death exhibited certain physical signs which indicated the success or otherwise of the practice. What these physical signs were the accounts didn't mention - well the ones I had access to anyway.

What I meant was, the consciousness should not be inhibited by whether one has a hole in one's head. This seems to be the dogma around phowa. No hole, therefore no exit to the proper Buddha realms.

ralis

Edited by ralis

How many Phowa practitioners do you know who have holes in their heads? Did the Lama who taught you have a hole in his head?

Does anyone have any pictures of these holes? Does anyone on Taobums have this hole?

151569903_75af850626.jpg

Well it looks like this chick has a Phowa hole in her head.

phowahole1.jpg

Apparently this is what the hole looks like...

pho02k_hole.jpg

Here are some dudes looking for holes in each other's heads...

Well i'll be damned. I think i'm going to have a friend check out my head this weekend.

Edited by hyok

Can someone tell me in short what the Phowa practice entales?

Look like moneys defleeing each other!!! hehehe Sorry i had to.....

• Haha 1

What I meant was, the consciousness should not be inhibited by whether one has a hole in one's head. This seems to be the dogma around phowa. No hole, therefore no exit to the proper Buddha realms.
As far as I understand there are phowas for transferring into the nirmanakaya, sambhogakya or dharmakaya so maybe there are different possibilities based on the different phowas. In some accounts it is merely the aspiration to be born in Dewachen though in others the state of the subtle body is significant.

Best,

Rex

Edited by rex

you'll have much more informed responses if you post on E-Sangha in the Tibetan Buddhist general discussion

Can someone tell me in short what the Phowa practice entales?
Sorry I was going to answer this but thought that someone else would. The first paragraph on this page gives a succinct answer: Essential Phowa. A google search also bring ups a lot.
Look like moneys defleeing each other!!! hehehe Sorry i had to.....
:lol: Edited by rex

I there anyone here who has practised it?

If so, are there some things you could tell us about it? For example, Is it easy to learn? Is it part of another set of practises?

Thank you