Pietro

Yesterday(!) Al Gore testimony in front of the Senate.

on a related note:

I was in a university history class the other day. The class size was about average. It was a basic world civilization course so we had a wide ranging mixture of majors. It was snowing outside. The teacher, who was retired from the army, looked out the window and posed the following question "Who here believes in global warming?" One guy who was coming in late sat down and raised his hand allowing it to linger for a moment in the air all alone, then lowered it and proceeded to go about his business. The initial shock of this had worn off of me by that point so I raised my hand as well. The teacher still staring out the window continued "I believe in Global warming."

In conclusion, almost 7 percent of a random sample of university students "believe in global warming."

^_^

i think the better question is : what IS global warming?

theres no doubt that climate is changing, but are humans responsible?

and if humans aren't directly responsible, are we in -some way- helping to speed it along? can we do anything to make matters better?

so from what i know about global warming.

people are cutting down rainforests, which prevents trees from converting co2 to oxygen. I think 20 percent of oxygen is produced in the rain forest.

people also introduce chemical pollutants into the atmosphere through combustion (cars factories ect)

this creates extra "greenhouse gasses" that trap more heat from the sun.

extra heat increases world temperatures at a faster rate than the natural global warming rate.

Are you suggesting that this is wrong in some way?

^_^

Are you suggesting that this is wrong in some way?

^_^

No, I'm suggesting its not quite that simple and our collective overblown sense of ego is ablaze like a bonfire in some places.

Its a little long, but a decently thorough qualitative analysis :)

Edited by joeblast

I havent seen the video but will now, but you know whether it's real or not doesn't change my opinion that we shouldn't trash the planet, and car fumes suck and make the air worse. Responsible or not for the extra heat we should try and be more environmentally friendly

Great post Dan and I am in complete agreement. The Earth has gone through many cycles of warming and cooling in the past, and that may explain the current situation better than carbon emissions. In fact, data shows that the other planets in our solar system are also experience warming and climate change, yet there are no cars and trucks releasing carbons into their environments. So what's the agenda? The agenda is that the U.N. and the globalists are hyping this fallacy in order to shove a global carbon tax down our throat.

31,000 scientists reject 'global warming' agenda

brgds!

Great post Dan and I am in complete agreement. The Earth has gone through many cycles of warming and cooling in the past, and that may explain the current situation better than carbon emissions. In fact, data shows that the other planets in our solar system are also experience warming and climate change, yet there are no cars and trucks releasing carbons into their environments. So what's the agenda? The agenda is that the U.N. and the globalists are hyping this fallacy in order to shove a global carbon tax down our throat.

31,000 scientists reject 'global warming' agenda

brgds!

Nice to see that they are trying to tax us for simply breathing.

Here is what I wrote to a friend (she is a big Al Gore supporter):

" I don't really believe Gore's propaganda. When the Earth stopped warming in 1998 and indeed began to cool, they went from "Global Warming" to "Climate Change" Meanwhile Al has gone from being worth a few million to an estimated $110 million. No wonder he doesn't worry about $30,000-a-year in utility bills. He has a lot to gain when the carbon taxes get passed. You and I are going pay, he's going to get even richer through the carbon trading company he started in England.

I do believe that we should switch to electric/hydrogen cars and install solar panels on every house. Why it has not been done already? Because people who own Gore and all the other politicians are not interested in losing all the $ unless they can profit from that. You of course haven't heard of cars running on water or people inventing perpetual motion electric motors. In this society, people get killed for less then this. Or the technology is bought, the patent goes missing, and the car that runs 50 miles on a glass of water becomes a myth. I remember a few years in Europe they are talking about releasing a 100 miles/gallon car. Then they stopped the production and that was it. Watch a documentary :Who killed the electric car? http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=58...MieBQ&hl=en

Answer: the same people who contributed millions of dollars in Gore, Bush, Clinton, Obama's etc campaigns.

Do you think these people care about us? Just look at the medical establishment with the whole industry built around "treating" the symptoms with chemical poisons. Or the agriculture industry increasingly more and more controlled by genetically engineered food companies. Or food industry that process all their food to the point it's not "food" anymore. A good documentary just came out: "Processed people". I don't even want to talk about the banking. Anywhere you look, in every corner of this world, the system is set up to sicken, ruin, scare and dumb down the population so it can easily be controlled. It's not by accident, not by chance, but an intentional act of creating dumb slaves..."

I still haven't heard back from her... lol

No, I'm suggesting its not quite that simple and our collective overblown sense of ego is ablaze like a bonfire in some places.

Its a little long, but a decently thorough qualitative analysis :)

nice site :)

I like the idea of it having something to do with fire yoga too.

^_^

on a related note:

I was in a university history class the other day. The class size was about average. It was a basic world civilization course so we had a wide ranging mixture of majors. It was snowing outside. The teacher, who was retired from the army, looked out the window and posed the following question "Who here believes in global warming?" One guy who was coming in late sat down and raised his hand allowing it to linger for a moment in the air all alone, then lowered it and proceeded to go about his business. The initial shock of this had worn off of me by that point so I raised my hand as well. The teacher still staring out the window continued "I believe in Global warming."

In conclusion, almost 7 percent of a random sample of university students "believe in global warming."

^_^

Phore,

you touch a very important topic, and one that I cannot enter without discussing it in details.

I do not believe in global warming.

Not more than I believe in gravity.

We need to distinguish what we know,

what we can know provided we investigate,

what we ignore, but potentially we could know,

and what will forever be beyond our grasp.

Our believe abilities should be our best guess given the limited amount of data we have about the world. And before throwing the arrow or believeing in something we should always every reasonable effort to ascertein the facts. Only then do we have the ethical right to finish off the job by believing the rest.

To act in a different way is not just stupid and nonsensical. It is dangerous, and criminal. It is dangerous because you put your life at risk (suppose you decide to believe you can fly), or the life of others at risk (you might convince them that they can fly. If they jump from the bridge and die, how would you feel?). Think about the students of Jasmuheen. One of the went on the Darwin awards. Well given, I would say.

But it is also more dangerous than this, if you start to believe when you should instead investigate, you are essentially giving a bad example to everybody else. Soon people will follow your example, and believe the most crazy things.

William Crifford in his the ethics of belief called this behaviour "a crime against humanity". He was just survived a ship that sank because the owner believed that it was in good conditions, and so did not pay the extra money needed to check it.

Our society is particularly open for this kind of dangerous-borderline to criminal behaviour. Because we have chosen some time ago to try to avoid too many confrontation by claiming that everybody was free to believe whatever they wanted. And now we are paying the consequences for that foolish decision.

I think your teacher should not have used to term "believe".

There are four books I would like to point out on this topis:

On Bullshit by Harry G. Frankfur

On Truth by Harry G. Frankfur

The End of Faith by Sam Harris

The Ethics of Belief by William Kingdon Clifford

nice site :)

I like the idea of it having something to do with fire yoga too.

^_^

Lubos is a pretty sharp guy...has a pretty good explanation for why there's basically a snowball's chance in hell of the LHC creating a black hole that could grow to any sort of size...much less kill us all :lol:

:lol: debunks them by making the very same criticisms skeptics were making about IPCC reports, signatories, climate alarmism snowball in the first place?? puhhhh-leeze!!!

*cough* I mean, pl-ease.....try not to laugh reading this...because its exactly what skeptics were saying about the huge "consensus" amongst "scientists" with respect to AGW.

This is not argumentum ad populum, as it was with the "consensus," which simply tried to stifle debate.

Appeal to Authority

The first problem with the Petition Project is that the concept behind it is a fallacy, known as an appeal to authority. The idea is that "these people are very clever, therefore they have authority which makes what they are saying worth something" (to paraphrase). When you read that there are 31,000 or so scientists who oppose global warming, you are supposed to think that because there are so many of them, and they are "scientists", they must be right.

Presenting an argument based on how many people supposedly agree with it as evidence is flawed, but it does get worse...

Appeal to False Authority

If you look more closely at the qualifications of signers of the petition, you will see that:

The Petition Project classifies petition signers on the basis of their formal academic training, as summarized below. Scientists often pursue specialized fields of endeavor that are different from their formal education, but their underlying training can be applied to any scientific field in which they become interested.

Essentially, the majority of the signers have some kind of qualification in a scientific field, be it a Bachelor's, Master's or PhD. The problem is that, as science is such a vast field, you can spend your entire life studying one branch of science and still know absolutely nothing about another. For example, I am a physics student, and I can honestly say that I know nothing about medicine. I also wouldn't expect an ecologist to understand the processes behind the formation of stars, for example.

*snip*

:lol:

Controversy

In a previous incarnation of the petition, many fake names were discovered to have been added with the aim of showing the dubious methods by which the Petition Project gathered names. These have included an actor, a senator, a fictional character and a spice girl. It would appear that a number of names are duplicates, or belong to people who have died or have since changed their minds.

*snip*

To Sum Up

As I said before, the Petition Project is used very frequently on the internet by "climate change deniers". I would of course encourage you to have an open mind to everything you read, but please don't be taken in by this one. Its methodology is flawed, its motives are highly biased and its conclusions are misleading.

Everyone is so caught up in debating the existence of man made global warming. Who cares? The fact is that the air over our cities is disgusting, water is polluted, wildlife is being destoryed, forests are burning, wetlands are disappearing, etc. etc. This part is not because of some natural cycle. Car exhaust is in our atmosphere and around our cities, not to mention factories and busnisess spewing out chemicals, it would do everyone good to have less of it, whether it contributes greatly or marginally to the warming of the planet. And there are plenty of enviromental problems that are not part of a "natural cycle" (maybe the warming of the planet is not either).

Edited by Anabhogya-Carya