innerspace_cadet

So I met this Republican from Texas the other day...

This past week I was staying at a hotel in Denver Colorado for the American Library Assocation's Midwinter Meeting (I'm a librarian). The hotel has its own bar, so I decided to have a few drinks there one night and struck up a conversation with a man from Texas. He started out the conversation mentioning that he didn't vote for Barack Obama. I asked him why. He answered with the following untruths:

1. Barack Obama is a Muslim

2. In America, you have to believe that Jesus Christ is your Lord and Savior to be elected to high office

3. The Constitution of the United States of America supports #2.

Utterly appalled, I politely informed him that the Constitution says no such thing, and in fact it categorically states that religious tests for office are to be prohibited. And I pointed out to him that the Treaty of Tripoli, which was ratified by both houses of Congress explicity states that America is not "founded on the Christian religion." His reaction to my arguments was to look away and say nothing. But then he would come back and imply that this was simply my point of view. As if saying the earth is flat is just as valid as saying that it isn't.

I'm so relieved that I voted for Barack Obama and he got elected, because the rest of the country that did not is simply becoming too scary for me to handle. Please, don't get me wrong, he was a very cool guy, but what he thought was true simply wasn't.

So I am wondering: how widespread are these points of view?

Texas is an interesting state...

On the one hand, Dubya was governor here.

On the other, Ron Paul is a Congressman here, and Alex Jones and Patrick Timpone are also stationed here, amongst others...

So, you kinda have both extremes, although I would say the older crowd definitely does lean more traditional conservative Republican.

• Like 1

An excellent documentary that is related to your topic is Red State. I found it to be very well done.

I'm glad I didn't vote for Obama. I think he's dumber than George Bush and twice as dangerous.

Fuckin-A-Right. I didnt vote for anyone but voted AGAINST Obama.

This past week I was staying at a hotel in Denver Colorado for the American Library Assocation's Midwinter Meeting (I'm a librarian). The hotel has its own bar, so I decided to have a few drinks there one night and struck up a conversation with a man from Texas. He started out the conversation mentioning that he didn't vote for Barack Obama. I asked him why. He answered with the following untruths:

2. In America, you have to believe that Jesus Christ is your Lord and Savior to be elected to high office

Utterly appalled, I politely informed him that the Constitution says no such thing, and in fact it categorically states that religious tests for office are to be prohibited. And I pointed out to him that the Treaty of Tripoli, which was ratified by both houses of Congress explicity states that America is not "founded on the Christian religion." His reaction to my arguments was to look away and say nothing. But then he would come back and imply that this was simply my point of view. As if saying the earth is flat is just as valid as saying that it isn't.

I'm so relieved that I voted for Barack Obama and he got elected, because the rest of the country that did not is simply becoming too scary for me to handle. Please, don't get me wrong, he was a very cool guy, but what he thought was true simply wasn't.

There really isnt any proof that he isnt a muslim. It doesnt take a rocket scientist to figure out that the american people would NOT vote a muslim into office so he could very well be lying and that wouldve started along time ago.

Lying is not permitted except in three cases: a man speaking to his wife to make her happy; lying in times of war; and lying in order to reconcile between people. So says Muhammed. He's deceiving everyone. I really hope he's a good guy but he has too much charisma to be a good guy.

Also number 2 could be correct considering all former presidents have been christians, even though maybe not sharing the same beliefs all across the board they were christians. Oh except Obama, but deception doesnt count.

So what are the three reasons that caused you to vote for Obama?

Edited by hyok

Probably not as widespread as the belief in anthropogenic global warming. What's the difference between listening to your "local misnformed preacher" vs listening to your "local/national misinformed media" on matters of which they have next to no comprehension?

The similarities are pretty clear though...spreading ignorance!

Obama is actually Mexican! :D

Here's proof:

2999877990_9d1397ded6.jpg

Edited by Trunk

Ever been to Arkansas?

^_^

I am afraid there are quite a lot of people thinking like this Texan guy.

Scary for me too.

Another scary thing - even people in this forum seem to thik along the same lines.

And it is supposed to be a forum for people trying to wake themselves up.

Imagine the ones who feel fine sleeping in front of the TV or in their beloved churches...

Gets quite scary to think about it some times.

I am thinking of moving to Switzerland...

Scary for me too.

Another scary thing - even people in this forum seem to thik along the same lines.

Imagine the ones who feel fine sleeping in front of the TV or in their beloved churches...

Are you judging how awake another is by yourself? Do you have some idealistic view of the world that enlightened people must support the causes you support and love the eternal the way you love the eternal? In every religion there are people who cultivate to the level of Union/Ascension quietly, but you would criticize them and say they're alseep?

Its funny that church used to be the opiate of the masses. Then it was tv and now.... its most likely the internet. How many awakened feel the need to go on forums do you think? Were all in the same boat buddy but let me apologize that you have to be on the same forum as people who think differently than you.

Scary for me too.

You are either a) very young (no offense) B) ignorant. Maybe both. Before you go off on a rage look up the definition of ignorance. The Switzerland statement makes me believe that you are young and ignorant. The

"Texan" has 2 points that are actually a bit difficult to counter. I guess you arent really aware of that though.

You are either a) very young (no offense) B) ignorant. Maybe both. Before you go off on a rage look up the definition of ignorance. The Switzerland statement makes me believe that you are young and ignorant. The

"Texan" has 2 points that are actually a bit difficult to counter. I guess you arent really aware of that though.

which 2 points, of the texan were hard to counter?

also your point be turned into a B)

Edited by phore

:-)

I don't judge anyone.

Feel sorry for them.

And express surprise by what I read here.

Including your remakrs on my post :-)

On the second post - don't know.

How old is old enough? :-)

And how an opinionon Switzerland reveals one's age or/and arrogance !?

which 2 points, of the texan were hard to counter?

also your point be turned into a B)

Arguing that Obama is not a muslim is difficult and also that the President has to be a christian because in the history of the US all the Presidents have, in some form or another, been christians.

:-)

I don't judge anyone.

Feel sorry for them.

And express surprise by what I read here.

Including your remakrs on my post :-)

On the second post - don't know.

How old is old enough? :-)

And how an opinionon Switzerland reveals one's age or/and arrogance !?

Yes you do judge. Here is what you said earlier I am afraid there are quite a lot of people thinking like this Texan guy.

Scary for me too.

You are judgemental in your statement. Your comment on moving leads me to believe youre young because typically, older or more mature people dont type the way you do. It's the way you format your sentences.

Arguing that Obama is not a muslim is difficult and also that the President has to be a christian because in the history of the US all the Presidents have, in some form or another, been christians.
Despite his name and background, Obama does seem like your typical Zionist Christian to me in practice and policies.

As far as Christian Presidents, despite common revisionist perception, all of the first few were actually "Enlightenment Era" Deists:

#1 - Most historians regard George Washington as a Deist who rarely attended church.

#2 - "The divinity of Jesus is made a convenient cover for absurdity. Nowhere in the Gospels do we find a precept for Creeds, Confessions, Oaths, Doctrines, and whole carloads of other foolish trumpery that we find in Christianity." - John Adams

#3 - "I do not find in orthodox Christianity one redeeming feature." - Thomas Jefferson

#4 - James Madison was also known as a Deist who spoke strongly for the separation of the Christian church and state.

#5 - James Monroe was a Deist.

#16 - "The Bible is not my Book and Christianity is not my religion. I could never give assent to the long complicated statements of Christian dogma." - Abraham Lincoln

Remember, most of these guys were secret society Freemas0ns from the "Age of Reason," a backlash against the Dark Ages and Spanish Inquisition preceding it. So, they were quite cynical about Christianity and unrestrained religion "overstepping" its bounds in society.

However, I would agree with the underlying point that a POTUS must at least give the nominal appearance of being Christian - and certainly not something entirely foreign like Buddhist, Hindu, Taoist, Pagan, Wiccan, Muslim, Shamanic, etc...

Uau,

my friends tell me that Americans are surprisingly...humm how should I put it...lets use...reduced in their point of views....I choose not to believe them as I dont think it can be true. But this conversation worries me.

I am European and leave in china for more then half of my life, I always criticized Europeans for criticizing Americans... I dont kow much about American politics but the truth is that Obama speachs make a lot of sense to me and trust me Id dint vote in him cause I am from another country....

The fact is that Humans are making everything possible to destroy the planet and here comes a man thats says it must stop, I dont care if he was gay or likes to eat Ice Cream with cheese he is right.....All I really care is if he is going to be able to do what he promises...Oh and what if he was Muslim or gay so what as long as he is a good man and properly qualified to handle the tasks at hand...One thing is sure Bush wasnt and he killed thousands of people on the belief that ....he is the one within reason. Well thats the thing, once you leaved in China for a while you understand reason is relative...

So for the bold gentleman, you should have voted in Obama not because he is Christian or because he is Texan:0) but because he plans to do the right thing...oh and as for the Texan fellow,. I bet he never left the states...what a fellow....Around here we have a few Americans that come to Asia and think like that you know what happens...China owns your country foreign debt eheheh who is smart now.Watch out for the little yellow man...

And guys, take it easy may peace be within you....Love is all you need. KUNG HEI FAT CHOI

Edited by Mr. White

Uau,

my friends tell me that Americans are surprisingly...humm how should I put it...lets use...reduced in their point of views....I choose not to believe them as I dont think it can be true. But this conversation worries me.

I am European and leave in china for more then half of my life, I always criticized Europeans for criticizing Americans... I dont kow much about American politics but the truth is that Obama speachs make a lot of sense to me and trust me Id dint vote in him cause I am from another country....

The fact is that Humans are making everything possible to destroy the planet and here comes a man thats says it must stop, I dont care if he was gay or likes to eat Ice Cream with cheese he is right.....All I really care is if he is going to be able to do what he promises...Oh and what if he was Muslim or gay so what as long as he is a good man and properly qualified to handle the tasks at hand...One thing is sure Bush wasnt and he killed thousands of people on the belief that ....he is the one within reason. Well thats the thing, once you leaved in China for a while you understand reason is relative...

So for the bold gentleman, you should have voted in Obama not because he is Christian or because he is Texan:0) but because he plans to do the right thing...oh and as for the Texan fellow,. I bet he never left the states...what a fellow....Around here we have a few Americans that come to Asia and think like that you know what happens...China owns your country foreign debt eheheh who is smart now.Watch out for the little yellow man...

And guys, take it easy may peace be within you....Love is all you need. KUNG HEI FAT CHOI

The man has an agenda. You cannot vote for someone just on change. You have to look into his politics. What does he want to do with healthcare, war, etc? Just because he's black and says "We need a change" doesnt mean he'll be a good president.

Despite his name and background, Obama does seem like your typical Zionist Christian to me in practice and policies.

As far as Christian Presidents, despite common revisionist perception, all of the first few were actually "Enlightenment Era" Deists:

#1 - Most historians regard George Washington as a Deist who rarely attended church.

#2 - "The divinity of Jesus is made a convenient cover for absurdity. Nowhere in the Gospels do we find a precept for Creeds, Confessions, Oaths, Doctrines, and whole carloads of other foolish trumpery that we find in Christianity." - John Adams

#3 - "I do not find in orthodox Christianity one redeeming feature." - Thomas Jefferson

#4 - James Madison was also known as a Deist who spoke strongly for the separation of the Christian church and state.

#5 - James Monroe was a Deist.

#16 - "The Bible is not my Book and Christianity is not my religion. I could never give assent to the long complicated statements of Christian dogma." - Abraham Lincoln

Remember, most of these guys were secret society Freemas0ns from the "Age of Reason," a backlash against the Dark Ages and Spanish Inquisition preceding it. So, they were quite cynical about Christianity and unrestrained religion "overstepping" its bounds in society.

However, I would agree with the underlying point that a POTUS must at least give the nominal appearance of being Christian - and certainly not something entirely foreign like Buddhist, Hindu, Taoist, Pagan, Wiccan, Muslim, Shamanic, etc...

James Monroe and James Madison were arguably Episcopalian.

Thomas Jefferson was a Christian Deist, although some say he was a Unitarian later on.

John Adams, arguable Unitarian.

George Washington arguably Episcopalian or Christian Deist.

Abe was a supporter of religion. You may have me on this one.

Barry Obama could very well be a muslim and is wearing the disquise of a christian. Either way, someone who attends a racist church for over 20 yrs isnt my idea of a good candidate. If any white candidate wouldve attended an anti black church for over 20 yrs there's NO WAY he wouldve made it. Attending a church for 20 yrs also tells me that his views are similar to ol JW. It's like the cheating game, you're only sorry because you got caught. JW is also a Pro Muslim so exactly how JW is a christian is beyond me...Oh and Obama is more likely to be a muslim as well.

People look past all this because they see him as a change. All they see is his black skin. Let's not forget that he's America's first biracial President, not African American President.

James Monroe and James Madison were arguably Episcopalian.

Thomas Jefferson was a Christian Deist, although some say he was a Unitarian later on.

John Adams, arguable Unitarian.

George Washington arguably Episcopalian or Christian Deist.

Abe was a supporter of religion. You may have me on this one.

Uh, Unitarianism doesn't even believe Jesus to be a "third" of God's Holy Trinity - just a prophet. I think many Christians would call this heresy and thus not regard Unitarianism as a Christian sect - like Judaism or Islam. Related, but different in all-too-key areas.

And I think those quotes speak for themselves. Going to church a few times or occasionally caving into Christian voters doesn't make one Christian.

Anyhow, I agree that BO is the good cop to Gdub's bad cop. A relative improvement, but still of the same NW0 coin...

Uh, Unitarianism doesn't even believe Jesus to be a "third" of God's Holy Trinity - just a prophet. I think many Christians would call this heresy and thus not regard Unitarianism as a Christian sect - like Judaism or Islam. Related, but different in all-too-key areas.

And I think those quotes speak for themselves. Going to church a few times or occasionally caving into Christian voters doesn't make one Christian.

Anyhow, I agree that BO is the good cop to Gdub's bad cop. A relative improvement, but still of the same NW0 coin...

I realised the error in my statement after I posted.

Obama is just the best fit man for the job right now. The job, as you said, is gearing towards the NWO and charisma sells.

Again - not sure how sharing my fear of how people make statements that are against the Constitution (e.g. freedom to practice religion and the right of everyone to be elected in federal office despite his religious believe or absence thereof) makes me judgmental.

Not that I really care.

I just make an observation.

Judging is more like guessing someone age by the way they type :-)

And format their sentences :-)

As for the topic - I have accepted Osho's view on people who get in politics...

And I don't say Obama is going to save this country. It's way too messed up right now.

And it is human greed that led to the mess we are in today.

Politicians and bankers are not guilty, that people jump to get loans they can not afford to pay back.

Hence it will need revolution of human consciousness to start getting things in a better shape.

Seems like the time has come for a new economic, social and political revolution. Globally.

The current "free market" economy proved it is not the answer, as the socialism in the way it was practiced wasn't.

As someone who tries to reflect on the Tao, one should understand the constant need of movement, the forthcoming fall of the strong and the unavoidable suffering for many.

Life moves on.

Obama or not in power.

Republicans or Democrats in power (can't wait to get an alternative :-)

USA or someone else in power.

Not-so-young people can take the "stupid" risk to move to a different place if they believe that only the rolling stones don't get...:-)

"In making a move, know how to choose the right moment" TTC 8

"...To move constantly in the path of Virtue" TTC 28