Ken

World's only Biologically Immortal Creature

Very nice, very intresting.

Would it help my practice if i drink tea made of this immortal creature ? :D

hmmm, maybe we could produce a pill of immortality,

and sell it to all the chinese shops around the globe.

I can see wonderful economical opportunities opening up.

I bet it would not work unless you are using the animals while they are rejuvenating.

Rejuvenation hormones,

extracted from the only immortal creature.

500$ enough pills for one month

We could get advertisments up and running, on TB, Max website, Lin website, Tao in Nature.

I mean if we get together we can really revolutionize the market.

Good stuff, but I think you are missing the main ingredient:

Rejuvenation DAOIST/BUDDHIST/TIBETAN/SECRET/TRADITIONAL/MAOSHAN/ETC.*** hormones,

:)

YM

*** choose any or all

I can see wonderful economical opportunities opening up.

I bet it would not work unless you are using the animals while they are rejuvenating.

Rejuvenation hormones,

We could get advertisments up and running, on TB, Max website, Lin website, Tao in Nature.

I mean if we get together we can really revolutionize the market.

I will wait for the headline: Immortal creature wiped out by pill collectors ... who's immortal now?

I will wait for the headline: Immortal creature wiped out by pill collectors ... who's immortal now?

LOL :lol::lol:

I think the secret to immortality would be to have sex with it. :)

If you could insert it's particular gene for that into your DNA i guess you could have the same traits somehow

If you could insert it's particular gene for that into your DNA i guess you could have the same traits somehow

Absolutely no.

Sorry to delude you.

There are some traits that are being generated by a single (or few) genes. For example resistance to cold, or ability to have a certain pigment. The DNA produced the RNA, the RNA the protein, and the protein does the job. Simple, straightforward and easy to reproduce.

Similarly there are some illness that are being generated by a single mutation in a key DNA sequence. Those are the cases where if you could repair that single part of DNA (or just select for a newborn that does not have the defective trait) you will have a healthy individual.

But, understand me, those are the weird cases, not the norm.

Most of traits are generated by the jointed work of many, many genes. We are still failing to understand how they work together (that is, finding a shorted description). Some people even think that there is no shorter description, which would mean, it is not possible to understand them.

Now, the case of the jellyfish is quite obviously a case where many genes would need to be involved. Can you think of the complex set of inter relation that need to be in place for something like that to occur.

Yes, you might find a gene that is responsible, in the sense that is an ON switch. You turn that off, and the miracle does not occur. But this does not mean that adding that switch to an animal that does not have the complex interrelational DNA in place, would bring to anything meaningful. It would be like taking the plastic switch that is on the wall of your house, put it into a hut with no electricity whatsoever and expect it to work.

In fact there are probably many ON OFF switch, in the sense that there are many genes that need to be in place for it to happen. But again, even if you find them all (a daunting task, but gene therapy is progressing exponentially), you still would not be able to do it in a different animal. Why because those DNA can rever that animal, with those cell types, to pre-differentiation. But most humans are not jellyfish. We have more cell types.

At the best you could be able to extend that ability to their nearest DNA relatives, whatever they are. But to us?

No, not until you have really understood what is going on, and you have re engineered the whole human DNA.

And this have huge issues, in many many disciplines.

Out on the spot I can think of medical, ethical, social, moral, technical, scientific, computational, biological and mathematical issues.

How do you explain fish genes in tomatoes?

As I said, some effects are produced by a single gene or by few genes.

There are some traits that are being generated by a single (or few) genes. For example resistance to cold, or ability to have a certain pigment. The DNA produced the RNA, the RNA the protein, and the protein does the job. Simple, straightforward and easy to reproduce...

Nice post. As for pills, lets dry a whole bunch and have them with beer/or juice. Ughh, I feel a little bit immortal already. :)

If you mass produce this I our population growth would exceed 1,000,000,000 per year. If my statistics are correct.

^_^

Nice post. As for pills, lets dry a whole bunch and have them with beer/or juice. Ughh, I feel a little bit immortal already. :)

Max, you worry me,

sometimes I don't know when you are joking and when you are serious.

Plus we need mustard!

If you mass produce this I our population growth would exceed 1,000,000,000 per year. If my statistics are correct.

^_^

I know many people who are having children because they want to have children,

but they know their window of opportunities will close soon.

So, clearly there are two very different roads both trying to march towards human's physical immortality:

1) The new scientific , microcosmic road which tries to find out the very small , basic elements of life that cause aging ; go into those cells, DNA, and identify that mechanism /substance , switch off that mechanism , get rid of that substance , then maybe life can continue forever..

Or

2) The very old , having a history of over 2,000 years, way which is mainly claimed / practised by those "crazy" Taoists, saying that because:

all things are composed of qi , and humans is its highest, conscious form ;The leave of qi from our body is the main reason that cause death ; by going into a very special enlightened , spiritual status, we humans can reversely grasp that basic element, upgrad it , refine it and make it forever not leaving our body .Not only that original qi not leaving our body , but by recruiting more qi from outside , we make this fragile individual life forever live...

Edited by exorcist_1699

Well the thing is that we dont really know what makes us specifically human, sense we all share the same genes its just that a some of those genes (not all) are expressing themselves in a different way. yeah, we dont really have alot of "human genes" so its possible the gene that does that to the jelly fish is in us just not expressing that possability. We might not need to take it only do something that could activate that gene.

Someone said--

"But most humans are not jellyfish"

A HA! Thats it!! We must find the ones that are!!

Their DNA will bridge the gap between immortal jellyfish and human!

I recommend we start with Michael Richards, from 'Seinfeld'.