Unconditioned

The Barefoot Doctor

A friend of mine, a Taoist, suggested checking out the Barefoot Doctor books/site however I'm a little skeptical based on some reports I've read online about inappropriate correspondence with female practitioners.

That said, his books may be very helpful/valid regardless of the personal rumors. Has anyone read some of his books or checked out his website? Trying to get a second opinion before potentially wasting my time...

Thanks!

-Nate

A friend of mine, a Taoist, suggested checking out the Barefoot Doctor books/site however I'm a little skeptical based on some reports I've read online about inappropriate correspondence with female practitioners.

That said, his books may be very helpful/valid regardless of the personal rumors. Has anyone read some of his books or checked out his website? Trying to get a second opinion before potentially wasting my time...

Thanks!

-Nate

The 5 excellencies thread talked about this guy.

^_^

Has anyone read some of his books or checked out his website?

I've looked through most of them in bookstores. They look quite interesting, a modern "re-frame" of the Taoist way. But they never seem to make it to the checkout in my basket of things worth buying.

I'm intrigued by the "inappropriate correspondence" Is he giving PUT a bad name :lol:

though this guy could be a twisted serial rapist, my guess is, if you teach your practice, have a fling with a female practitioner (are there rules against this?), then break the forementioned practitioner's heart, chances are you'll end up with "reports of inappropriate correspondence with female practitioners".

that said, it would be good to know (but none of our business) what exactly he did to those female practitioners.

i have the "handbook for the urban warrior" and actually like it pretty much. good advice, practices, good presentation and a wide plethora of subjects, a good, entertaining and edifying read, in my opinion.

though he may not be a genuine taoist master, he knows his subject and seems to enjoy sharing. that's more than what you can say about most "teachers".

no waste of time in buying the book, or at least skimming through it in your local barnes & noble. if your practice is advanced you'll probably already know what he has to share, and though it's a fun read, you may not learn much. lots of advice on modern taoist living, stuff you won't find elsewhere.

so, yeah, I like it.

He broke the spine of rather a nice hardback book I lent a friend copying a picture out of it, at least from what I was told think it was he. Taught me a lesson about lending precious books.

Have never met him or been treated by him but told a v good acupuncturist.

as you were

I like this 'Barefoot Doctor'. It's a street-wise, hip, practical interpretation of Taoism that seems useful, especially to the young and urban (but not strictly so). It feels fresh, and certainly pertinent to daily life, whereas philosophical Taoism often can be difficult to get out of the tearoom and the Void, especially helpful for the beginner, but still a good read and interesting take for the more experienced Taoist. I like.

Barefoot Doctor Book

Hi All,

I've got a few of his books - his first, Handbook for the Urban Warrior - is a classic - maybe a bit 90's flavoured now but it had a big influence on me at the time.

I was a member of his online forum and swapped a few e-mails with him over a period of a couple of years. The controversy concerned issues about his behaviour in practitioner/patient relationships. Some people involved in the situation were also long term members of the forum. It wasn't good and his subsequent handling of the situation didn't reflect well on him. It's possible that he has learned form the experience but I wouldn't send anyone to receive treatment from him.

Cheers

Rob

I recently picked up Handbook For Heroes. Quite a good little book, I do enjoy his writing style and collection of techniques.

I recently picked up Handbook For Heroes. Quite a good little book, I do enjoy his writing style and collection of techniques.

Hi Mal,

HfH was the bought for me for my 30th birthday - the 1st time I came across his stuff. I loved it.

Cheers

Rob

I have 3 of his books, the urban warrior one, handbook for heroes and manifesto. Manifesto is kind of ok but it's bit loose really, funny though, in places.

I once had a friend who knew him and he said he was a bit naughty in the relationship department, he didn't elaborate. I'm not sure it goes against Daoist precepts, rather depends on what your own personal angle is I suppose. I wouldn't lay the blame all on him though, I think we've all seen the girls that flirt outrageously with the teacher looking for a bit of special attention and then some. It's sure to go to your head at some point I guess.

I wouldn't lay the blame all on him though, I think we've all seen the girls that flirt outrageously with the teacher looking for a bit of special attention and then some. It's sure to go to your head at some point I guess.

Indeed. The thing is - it wasn't teacher/student. It was healer/patient. Teacher/student entanglement is part of the nature of things - as Chas Clements once said on rec.martial-arts - where else is a full-time martial artist expected to find a mate if not amongst their students? (or something like that)

Healer/patient, therapist/client - is, to my mind, an entirely different dynamic - a different type of expectation of trust. Stephen Russell (aka The Barefoot Doctor) acted poorly and let himself and some others down badly - as well as triggering a minor UK press flurry about inappropriate behaviour by alternative therapists.

IMO, no amount of funky 'rascally' 'wayward' disclaimers makes it OK to try and get sexual favours from women who come to you looking for help to get themselves sorted out.

Cheers

Rob