markern

Taoist breathing retreat

I am considering doing a four day retreat focused on taoist breathing particulary circular breathing. It also includes some qigong, dao yin and taoist meditation. I am wondering if anyone has experiences of doing such techniques intensly for a few days or diligently over a long time and what gains and experiences that gave. I am also wondering if you would consider it safe for me to do this retreat.

This is the retreat:

http://www.fire-horse.org/html/breathing.htm

Lately I have been having some problems with too much energy going to my head and activating the crown chakra during vipassana. I have gotten the energy to calm down again but meditation quickly brings it on again. Temporarily I am therefore doing yoga nidra wich is a sort of bodyscann followed by visualisation. This does not create any problems but actualy seems to help correct it because it distrubutes my awareness over my entire body. Through this and other means I am trying to correct imbalances in my body that makes more energy go up then down and it seems to be working. However, I am a bit frightened that any sort of retreat might aggravate this imbalance again. Do you think this sort of breathing technique could creat problems again or would it rather be helpfull in balalncing out my energy?

I am also wondering if anyone knows anything about the guy holding the retreat (Ram Chatlani) or the stuff he teaches:

http://www.fire-horse.org/html/ram.htm

I was recently on a 3-day silent retreat in Norway where I did reeeeaaaly slooooow Xing Shen Zhuang(dao yin) 2 times a day and spent the rest of the day in stillness meditation and slow breathing.

Yes, retreats are absolutely advicable!

To me, 3 days dedicated to utter silence is worth more than 10 years of workshops and books.

From what I read on the website it seems circular breathing and the concept they present is safe for your imbalances. Maby even healing. I'd say go for it!

THanks for the input. I think since this is in May thestuff I am doing, such as yoga nidra, will make me a lot more balanced before I actualy attend.