Long Yun

Joint Popping

Hello all,

I crack my neck and finger knuckles all the time, and I was wondering if this is bad for you or not. I seem to get conflicting opinions on this, and I haven't really come to a definitive answer yet.

Some say that popping joints wears down the "cushion tissue" in between the two bones. Others have told me (though I honestly can't remember who, when, or where) that the actual popping sound is just the release of accummulated and stangnant qi. Obviously, allowing stagnant qi to flow is a good thing, and just as obvious is that it is bad to wear down the tissues that cushion the joint.

So lets hear it. Good or bad?

Hello all,

I crack my neck and finger knuckles all the time, and I was wondering if this is bad for you or not. I seem to get conflicting opinions on this, and I haven't really come to a definitive answer yet.

Some say that popping joints wears down the "cushion tissue" in between the two bones. Others have told me (though I honestly can't remember who, when, or where) that the actual popping sound is just the release of accummulated and stangnant qi. Obviously, allowing stagnant qi to flow is a good thing, and just as obvious is that it is bad to wear down the tissues that cushion the joint.

under normal circumstances, the sound of joint popping is just releasing trapped gasses in the joints. It is perfectly fine and in some cases desirable...

under normal circumstances, the sound of joint popping is just releasing trapped gasses in the joints. It is perfectly fine and in some cases desirable...

The trapped gasses explanation is the one I've heard. Happens to me all the time doing chi gungs or tai chi. Sometimes I can get a nice flow of cracking joints eg. feet ankles, knees, hips, spine, shoulder, elbows, wrists, fingers.

But perhaps that is a bit different to popping knuckles. i.e. if I clench my fist really hard I can pop my knuckles. But that feels "different" to when they pop from doing Tai Chi.

Hello

If you feel into the popping usually it feels nice doesn't it? I think the popping is a good thing realises some stagnation. But on the ohter hand if it pops alot, it might be a sign of weakness somewhere. I think if you need this relize often you might have some energy problem.

My qigong teachers tell about there xin shen zhuang teacher that he do the exercises everey day and there is no sounds from hes body what sow ever!

F D

Just read the post title and thought i'd share some truth and insight into the matter.

Believe me or not. I don't really care.

Although take what i say and and try and learn more with it (for your own benefit) I think you will find that i am right. Although weather i'm right about this or not does not matter.

Facts, Joints poping while doing regular exercise means nothing harmful. Its natural.

I'm sure in TCM or other Western practices theres ways to keep the body from doing this through some sort of practice, or herbs.

Purposely popping, cracking, locking joints until they crack crack "CAN" be very bad for you.

Like in Tai Chi if your body isn't healthy enough and you use to much force, you can hurt yourself.

Or another example, of weight lifting if you over extend yourself forcefully you are more prone to hurting yourself.

popping and cracking joints regularly i guess theres nothing wrong with it but if that happens you may also get used to that sort of reasoning where you are "used to the notion of cracking body parts" I'm sure you'll run into many times were you can almost get out a crack and in ending up and doing so you could slowly degenerate your body over time easily.

I'd say all around habits are not very healthy i mean as long as you can't control the habit itself.

I personally believe this because i also believe anything can be unhealthy for you in excessive amounts.

Me and my friend used to battle who could make the loudest sound cracking our neck. We both got a lot of pain after a while. Ive had neck trouble since then.

After doing Xing Shen Zhuang for almost a year now my neck is almost completely healed. I still get a lot of popping in the joints and the spine, but its certaily getting better and increasing mobility and flexibility in all joints and the whole spine.

Edited by sheng zhen

As with everything, there is a preferable balance. Of course, if your body is running perfectly smoothly there will be no cracking...but of course we're all not in tip top shape :) I used to crack like crazy, I have cut back over the years. Done too much it absolutely will damage you, but done in the right amounts it frees up stagnation and allows you to exercise a better and more comfortable range of motion.

Facts, Joints poping while doing regular exercise means nothing harmful. Its natural.

<snip>

Purposely popping, cracking, locking joints until they crack crack "CAN" be very bad for you.

That seems spot on, so I'll agree (if that is ok :D ) If it happens naturally, all good. If you are trying to make it happen, not so good.

My qigong teachers tell about there xin shen zhuang teacher that he do the exercises everey day and there is no sounds from hes body what sow ever!

Interesting, my Sifu sometimes pops so loudly warming up with chi gungs that you can hear him at the back of the class!

Hips shoulders and wrists have been poping to me for a while from Tai Chi. It's getting to be a while ago now but I don't recall it happening much when I started learning with my sifu and it seems to be happening more often rather than less. The feet, ankles and fingers are a recent addition which I'm linking to KAP. The posture that will always pop is fan covers high and low into turn and diagonal cut fist. Left knee, hips, spine, left shoulder (sometimes), right shoulder.

Never any "pain" with any of this, just noise.

Gas released from joints?

What is holding the gas in?

Which joints are sealed so they can hold gas and then release it so fast that it would make a sound wave?

Where does the gas go upon release?

hmmmmmm

Which joints are sealed so they can hold gas and then release it so fast that it would make a sound wave?

hmmmmmm

Yes the gas theory seems to be comletely wrong :=). In the joints there is a fluid like substance that is a sort of oil to the joints, the fluid works not allways perfectly well. It need some nutririons I guess to be good and oily, so that the joints works smoothly and nice. I guess when the fluid is bad there is some kind of lock in the joints that is relised when they pop. Also a energetic realise is at least felt for me when the joints pop.

My text was realy unscientifik.

F D

I'm cheating a bit but all of the above happens if you go diving. Pressure differentials and disolved gasses.

No popping though, just excruciating pain if you do it wrong i.e. the bends :(

The gas theory just seems to be the most common.

I'm cheating a bit but all of the above happens if you go diving. Pressure differentials and disolved gasses.

No popping though, just excruciating pain if you do it wrong i.e. the bends :(

The gas theory just seems to be the most common.

The only gass relive is the gass coming out of your arse. Not out of your joints nor is it a form of chi.

I'd say all around habits are not very healthy i mean as long as you can't control the habit itself.

I personally believe this because i also believe anything can be unhealthy for you in excessive amounts.

I completely agree with this. It's not so much that I've made it a habit as it just feels good. Ha ha. Wow, now that I write that, I sound remarkably like my stoner friend from high school... Ok, I guess I have made it a habit. I think that I'll go cold turkey on it for a while. If they pop on their own, that's fine. If they don't, I won't make them. Thanks for everybody's input. :D

How do you guys actually know it's not gas? Here's an article from the libray of congress which says that a lot of the time, it is:

http://www.loc.gov/rr/scitech/mysteries/joint.html

So it IS due to pressure differentials (+ tendon movement) Nice guess. I'm on fire today :) (pharts :blink:)

The link to Dr Karl's site where they talked about reduced grip strength after cracking knuckles habitually for a long time. That's a bit scary.

Hello all,

to do it all the time? maybe dance instead? the sound is caused by pulling joints or knuckles away from each other and making space for flow of fluid. press your lips togeda and make that schmack sound..and take a sip of water.

Cavitation is one valid explanation. But not the only one. Snap your fingers. What makes that sound? Bones with tissue buffering rubbing against each other. Pulling of tendons across surfaces, tendons stretched taunt and "imploding", and bones against bones are all responsible as well.

I agree with the post saying if it was a natural release then OK, but don't force it.

As far as done by others, manipulation therapy can be very effective when performed by a professional. Don't try this on yourself (you can not properly do manipulation to yourself) or others unless you have been trained.

Over-manipulation can lead to tendon imbalance and improper tone. I have seen several cases of over-manipulation in my practice.

Any counter measures for over popping? I have been popping my fingers multiple times a day for years now, and I am to the point with my neck that I can crack it at least 16 times a day (8 to the left, 8 to the right). I'm guessing that this counts as over popping...