Pranaman

Martial Motivation and link to rare Zhan Zhuang information.

Last night, someone with 16yrs of fighting experience sparred with me. He's trained in muay thai, taekwondo, and jujitsu as well as training under one of the UFC fighters, I forget his name though. Anyway he was using self taught Praying Mantis. His strong fingers jabbed a flesh wound under my eye, bleeding occured. This was a great experience because now I have much more motivation because it was a reality check of where I am at.

any way, Gregory Fong has put up some of his zhan zhuang and I-chuan articles that are very good. The Zhan Zhuang article is the only place that I've found in writing the best way of standing (for what my goals are), and i've read Lam Kam Chuen's books. Coincidentally both Gregory Fong and Lam Kam Chuen have learned from Yu Yong Nian for some time. any way check it out.

http://i-chuan.net/articles.php

I suggest "Zhan Zhuang From An I-Chuan Perspective", is totally different than anything i've heard besides from Sifu Fong himself.

Edited by Pranaman

"The key to standing correctly...is to stand as if waiting to act."

Very nicely said...

Another term would be Motion within Stillness.

The article was okay. I don't see what's so hard to understand about relaxing while doing work. Does it really not make sense to people when a teacher says to relax? Of course it doesn't mean completely let your body go limp, but rather to do the activity in the most efficient manner...no unnecessary tension.

Another idea about standing as if ready to act...it helps to stand in such a way that you're ready to move in the 8 directions equally. Does that make sense? Like having the weight moving through the foot in such a way that you can just as easily step forward as well as backward. Just as easily step to the right as forward. Etc.

The article was okay. I don't see what's so hard to understand about relaxing while doing work. Does it really not make sense to people when a teacher says to relax? Of course it doesn't mean completely let your body go limp, but rather to do the activity in the most efficient manner...no unnecessary tension.

Another idea about standing as if ready to act...it helps to stand in such a way that you're ready to move in the 8 directions equally. Does that make sense? Like having the weight moving through the foot in such a way that you can just as easily step forward as well as backward. Just as easily step to the right as forward. Etc.

No, it's not hard to understand, if you already know (in your body) what is meant. Otherwise, it is very easy to misinterpret it as a strictly philosophical point, rather than as a technical one (of supreme importance).

Did this sparring session occur in Sifu Fongs Kwon?

it did not. I am currently looking for work in order to pay the ticket into his class. I still work everyday since I don't want to go back and start from where I left off.

I say the article was ok. He has some things right but I don't agree with a good portion of it. However, I do Zhan Zhuang for different end results than he.

I believe Sifu Fong does zhan zhuang for development of power, health, mind, and spirit.

also this article is only a portion of the way he teaches it. I was only in his class for a few months, but I learned how to use my intention, as well as use my muscles as if moving into the 6 directions. There was still more for me to learn, all I want right now is to be able to go back and learn more.