Sign in to follow this  
yeling

Having trouble Sleeping - too much energy?

New to Tao, and have become full with chi energy when i tried to sleep couldn't , heat coming up and keeping me awake. tingling in testicles, abdomin area feels full too, need assistance. very sensitive person, have only really done six healing sounds a little inner smile and "minor" tantien focus.

Any help would be appreciated. and yes I went it alone , withoutt instructor, with only books and "free" videos

Yeling

New to Tao, and have become full with chi energy when i tried to sleep couldn't , heat coming up and keeping me awake. tingling in testicles, abdomin area feels full too, need assistance. very sensitive person, have only really done six healing sounds a little inner smile and "minor" tantien focus.

Any help would be appreciated. and yes I went it alone , withoutt instructor, with only books and "free" videos

Yeling

Can anybody assist a newbie, need some help

thanks

Yeling

Yeling

How long have you been doing it?

Yeling

six healing sounds

some people say healing sounds should only be practised if there is an illness...

and then only that healing sound regarding the organ which needs help..

-

an important rule: stop all exercises if there are problems...

Yeling

Suggest:

1. Take it easy don't worry just be interested in what is happening to you, don't follow the 'physical' reactions in your mind.

2. Try to earth the energy (should be able to find exercises for this).

3. Do some formless sitting meditation if you know how.

4. MOST IMPORTANT find a teacher.

Can anybody assist a newbie, need some help

thanks

Yeling

2-3 weeks - just enough to make mistakees it looks like

is acupressure something that will relieve symptoms - how do earth the energy?

thanks all

don't TRY to sleep, any effort will take you far from sleep. maybe it helps you focusing on the end of your penis. nothing more. no special breathing nor visualisations.

Sleeplesness hits me when I up the energy type meditations, MCO, chakra.. I find not doing them in the late evening helps. Different chi gung systems have advice to put attention and energy at your feet or lower tantien, that never helped me much. Instead not doing any energy work a few hours before bed, nothing stimulutating, no tv or news.

I'll sit quietly in emptiness or listen to a Dharma talk (infinitesmile or Zencast) at night. Keep my mind defocused. One trick I'll use is wonder 'What will my next thought be?' this inquiry tends to shine a spotlight on the thoughts and tends to quiet them.

Michael

Yeling

I have studied cultivation for many years and have made a particular study of traditional Chinese medicine from the perspective of such cultivation, so first the following:

DISCLAIMER: the following is not intended to diagnose or treat any medical condition, but is offered as advice based on traditional beliefs and practices for purposes of information about spiritual cultivation only, the reader assumes all responsibility for using this information in a responsible manner.

It strikes me from what you say that you are not suffering from two much energy, but too little yin ('heat coming up and keeping me awake'), and this may be complicated by wind in the Liver Channel. ('tingling in testicle') You may have been moving in this direction for sometime, and your practices may have brought these matters to the fore.

Yin deficiency leads to a condition called 'false fire', this is a situation in which a deficiency is mistaken for excess, it often results in sleeplessness. It can also create hot flashes and fatigue, a perfect example of this is when one is recovering from a cold or flue, the fire of the fever has created a temporary yin deficiency which is better treated by yin tonics than cold or flue medicines. In cases of yin deficiency herbal supplements of the liu wei di huang family may be useful.

The Liver channel takes a detour through the testicles and if there is 'wind' in the channel this could cause tingling. This wind can also create problems with nervousness and insomnia when it rises through the Gallbladder channel. Something like tian ma du zhong wan may be useful since it nourishes yin, strengthens the Kidneys and expels wind.

The above is very general advice, herbs may allow you to get past this present problem sooner than might otherwise be the case. You should definitely cease all practice except possibly self massage practices which may help to improve your energy flow and balance.

Self acu-pressure may be useful. Liver Two is easy to find between the big toe and the toe next to it, if this spot is sore it means liver heat is a problem and massage of this point will help to drain it, just about an inch and a half further up the foot is Liver Three and it is used to calm the mind by draining off liver wind.

You should either find a teacher with a good understanding of traditional physiology and herbal and other forms of energy balancing, or you should take time to learn this yourself. I tend to think that every cultivator should have a fair knowledge of these matters, they should either learn it from their teachers, or if on their own they must learn it or they will be risking their health and well being rather than helping it. I believe your present situation is an excellent example of what I mean.

I hope that this helps you see your situation in a somewhat different perspective. Gook luck with all of your future studies.

I have studied cultivation for many years and have made a particular study of traditional Chinese medicine from the perspective of such cultivation, so first the following:

DISCLAIMER: the following is not intended to diagnose or treat any medical condition, but is offered as advice based on traditional beliefs and practices for purposes of information about spiritual cultivation only, the reader assumes all responsibility for using this information in a responsible manner.

It strikes me from what you say that you are not suffering from two much energy, but too little yin ('heat coming up and keeping me awake'), and this may be complicated by wind in the Liver Channel. ('tingling in testicle') You may have been moving in this direction for sometime, and your practices may have brought these matters to the fore.

Yin deficiency leads to a condition called 'false fire', this is a situation in which a deficiency is mistaken for excess, it often results in sleeplessness. It can also create hot flashes and fatigue, a perfect example of this is when one is recovering from a cold or flue, the fire of the fever has created a temporary yin deficiency which is better treated by yin tonics than cold or flue medicines. In cases of yin deficiency herbal supplements of the liu wei di huang family may be useful.

The Liver channel takes a detour through the testicles and if there is 'wind' in the channel this could cause tingling. This wind can also create problems with nervousness and insomnia when it rises through the Gallbladder channel. Something like tian ma du zhong wan may be useful since it nourishes yin, strengthens the Kidneys and expels wind.

The above is very general advice, herbs may allow you to get past this present problem sooner than might otherwise be the case. You should definitely cease all practice except possibly self massage practices which may help to improve your energy flow and balance.

Self acu-pressure may be useful. Liver Two is easy to find between the big toe and the toe next to it, if this spot is sore it means liver heat is a problem and massage of this point will help to drain it, just about an inch and a half further up the foot is Liver Three and it is used to calm the mind by draining off liver wind.

You should either find a teacher with a good understanding of traditional physiology and herbal and other forms of energy balancing, or you should take time to learn this yourself. I tend to think that every cultivator should have a fair knowledge of these matters, they should either learn it from their teachers, or if on their own they must learn it or they will be risking their health and well being rather than helping it. I believe your present situation is an excellent example of what I mean.

I hope that this helps you see your situation in a somewhat different perspective. Gook luck with all of your future studies.

I think your very close if not right on. I would assume my Kidney energy is average to low. LIV 3 was/is tender worked it and a few other major points sp6, liv4, foot massage st36 etc... feel better at this point. Using a self ab massage as well. I appreciate everyone's input and will keep you posted. Zhongyongdaoist, Last piece of info, I've been able to crack my back like most people crack their knuckles for several years now to relief stress, tension etc. Is this a Yin deficency? Thanks for taking the time and effort for your post.

I think your very close if not right on. I would assume my Kidney energy is average to low. LIV 3 was/is tender worked it and a few other major points sp6, liv4, foot massage st36 etc... feel better at this point. Using a self ab massage as well. I appreciate everyone's input and will keep you posted. Zhongyongdaoist, Last piece of info, I've been able to crack my back like most people crack their knuckles for several years now to relief stress, tension etc. Is this a Yin deficency? Thanks for taking the time and effort for your post.

Good yeling, I am glad to hear that this seems to be successful, of course the main point is if my advice works in the long term and helps you reach your goals for self cultivation.

DISCLAIMER: the following is not intended to diagnose or treat any medical condition, but is offered as advice based on traditional beliefs and practices for purposes of spiritual cultivation only.

The fact that some of your symptoms responded to self-massage on Liver three, may indicate that any Yin deficiency is most manifest in the Liver, this can lead to liver wind. Liver Yin deficiency symptoms would include dry eyes, if this is the case than qi ju di huang wan may be beneficial. It is part of the liu wei di huang family, but is specific for Liver Yin deficiency symptoms which may also include blurry vision, feelings of pressure behind the eyes and poor night vision.

I see no problem with the idea that you can crack your back and generally speaking such mobility is good, however too loud a noise when 'cracking' may indicate dryness in the joints, which would not be good, and I have also sometimes wondered if a loud cracking might even indicate coldness in the joints as if one were cracking ice. According to traditional concepts coldness in the joints can eventually lead to arthritis as the body attempts to expel the cold through inflammation. This insight goes back to the late Han Dynasty 'Treatise on Cold Induced Disorders' (Shang Han Lun) and this dynamic is the Chinese version of 'auto-immune' disorders which have only recent come to the attention of 'Modern Medical Science'.

Generally speaking back strength is rooted in the Kidney qi, both yin and yang, and is helped by a strong liver which strengthens the tendons. You can gage your liver strength and thus your tendon strength by the condition of your finger nails. People laugh at the old pictures of Chinese with three to six inch long finger nails, but basically they were bragging about their liver/gallbladder power. Imagine how strong their tendons were!

Good luck with your self-cultivation practices. May you reach your intended goals.

In addition to the esteemed comments of our 'old junzi' 10.gif I would add that you also have to be mindful of engaging in evening cultivation techniques that raise energy into the head.

When I first started practicing Dao In for example I chose to ignore the caution of not practicing certain exercises at night. It only took one night of sleep deprivation to humbly admit my error.

4.gif

Edited by Stigweard

Is this sort of thing a problem if you're not tired the next day? I've made this mistake of doing energy raising practices late too, so while I try to temper that, sometimes I'll watch some late night movies or clean the house get thru the next day okay and doesn't seem so bad. The OP didn't say if he was tired during the day, I seem to have bouts of insomnia few times a year which has been fine since I realized these seem to be times when I have lots of energy and do fine without as much sleep as usual.

In my experience...which is every night of lots of energy and stuff--I just meditate with mantra until my mind shifts to want to sleep, tiredness. Brain seems to secrete a chemical which allows dreaminess to come, at a certain point. At that point, I turn on my side and fall asleep pretty soon. I dont often want to sleep as I regard meditation at that state very valuable, but I wont resist the dreams because they are very clever in diverting concious mind.

Its your mind that thinks it cant sleep through this stuff, but once you understand you can, it becomes a lullaby.

Edited by de_paradise

Sign in to follow this