Sign in to follow this  
Gerard

Kumbh Mela

If you are interested in meeting enlightened beings without having to pay a fortune attend this festival. The next one will be held in 2010 in the city of Haridwar. But the 2013 pilgrimage, Maha Kumbh Mela, is special because it is only held every 12 years. It is held in Allahabad in the state of Uttar Pradesh. I am planning to attend and it would be a nice place to meet other forum members if you decide to do so.

The Kumbh Mela is celebrated when the planet of Brihaspati (Jupiter) moves into the zodiac sign of Aquarius or Kumbha. Each sites celebration dates are calculated in advance according to a special combination of zodiacal positions of Sun, Moon, and Jupiter (wikipedia).

In the Kumbh Mela of 1894, and according to Paramahansa Yogananda in his work the Autobiography of a Yogi, it was when his Guru Sri Yukteswar met the legendary and immortal Mahavatar Babaji for the first time.

In this holy pilgrimage you will encounter thousands of monks, saints and sadhus. This event will facilitate the process of the teacher finding you (if the karma is right).

You can watch a movie in here to see what is like:

http://www.archive.org/details/SapnaShahaniArdhKumbhMela

More info about what really happens during the event days is given in here:

http://www.stephen-knapp.com/description_o...kumbha_mela.htm

.......................................................................................................

I've just met a Westerner after my recent Vipassana retreat in Thailand. And he told me about his personal journey, how a guru found him and ended up in the mountain of Arunachala. A yogi who resides in a cave and who has attained numerous siddhis. In this area people come to practice Atma Vichara (self-enquiry) process very similar to the Buddhist Vipassana.

975rhx.jpg

Edited by durkhrod chogori

I was at the 2000 kumbha mela, the maha kumbha mela which only happens every 144 years...but I intend to be there again in 2013 for the next one of the new cycle, which corresponds to the beginning of the new cycle in the mayan calendar. Svoboda in the Aghora series writes that Allahbad where the kumbh is held, corresponds to the ajna chakra or third eye center in the human subtle body...since it is directly at the center of the confluence of 3 rivers, the yamuna, sarasvati and ganga rivers... and these correspond to the psychic nadis, ida, pingala and sushumna. Although the Sarasvati river cannot be seen with physical eyes it is said to appear as a river of pure white light and can only be perceived by those capable of psychic vision. Historically, the river is said to have dried some time ago, forgot the exact time frame. The astrological configuration at that time in for this location is said to trigger the secretion of the soma, by stimulating the pineal gland to secrete the neuro-hormones of bliss and inner vision. In fact, you can bathe in the divine nectar of your soul and this is said to be what liberates you from your past karmas and provides you with greater opportunity to achieve a state of Samadhi than at other times. In addition, you are with a whole bunch of people reciting scriptures, performing sadhana, puja, and meditation, and the collective pineal bathing begins and you can physically partake in a bath in the confluence of rivers as well at the appropriate times.

Edited by Xienkula1

Hi,

Thanks for the added info.

I'll be there for sure and experience some bliss. Looking forward to attend and meet interesting people. :)

Take care.

975rhx.jpg

Yes, I found info about the astrological configuration of the event, and what happens is that this events starts with Makar Sankranti, the day when the sun and moon enter Capricorn and Jupiter enters Aquarius. The astrological configuration on Makar Sankranti is called " Kumbha Snana-Yoga" and is considered to be especially auspicious, as it is said that the passage from Earth to the higher planets is open at that time, thus allowing the spirit to easily attain the celestial world.

Namaste.

Fascinating!! Thank you for bringing this to our attention :) Particularly so early - gives me plenty of time to save up!

Oddly enough, I found my teachers recently and now students are making themselves known too. If the divine deems it appropriate I shall attend the 2013 pilgrimage to spread love and compassion to all. I have no intention of finding a teacher, nor students, but the feeling I get from this pilgrimage is somewhat tantalising. I can feel it's cleanliness and purity.

Yours, in reverence,

James

I was in Haridwar last year. It is considered one of India's holiest cities. There are always pilgrims and sadhus there no matter what time of year. It is a rather small town though, Hard to believe it would fit one of the largest religious gatherings in the world. Bring your tent.

Sign in to follow this