Sign in to follow this  
Yuen Biao

Qigong - a definition?

I personally think the term Qigong is one we should move away from....

In my study with authentic Taoist Adepts in China, none of them used the tem "Qigong"...

I have mostly heard the term - YangSheng - used in reference to arts we may term - Qigong -

By my understanding the term - YangSheng - can be translated as - The Art of Nourishing Life -

Kind of says it all.........

If we wish to classify the term - Qigong - I would say it is an art that deals with opening the channels in the body and balancing the Qi in the organ spheres - from the superficial level to a deeper level -

Where as - Neigong - works from a deeper level from the first, and thereby will affect the superficial level naturally.

By my understanding, the art most would term - Nei Dan Gong - or Internal Alchemy Meditation - actually uses the practice we look at as - Qigong - in the first stage - but later it moves beyond such a practice naturally -

Qigong - the art of mastery of internal energy -

Perhaps........

Really I dislike the term - Qigong -

I think it has been a term in vogue for the past 50 years or so by one account....

YangSheng - the art of nourishing life...........

Qigong implies for me a special skill in working with qi - remembering that qi is not only life-energy - but can be found everywhere...

yang sheng is a part of qigong...

taijiquan is a part of qigong...

Here is a talk given by my teacher Zhongxian Wu.

http://personallifemedia.com/podcasts/414-...rn-immortal#ep7

I was going to write down my definition, but he sums up his definition in this talk better than I could.

Also, just taking this opportunity to plug my teacher :D

Craig

Personally I can say the definition of the word... ONLY the word is Energy Work.

Although, seeing parts and pieces of different Qigong lots seem to be incomplete, or serves a function lesser then what i personally seek. (The whole picture type of thing) When we look at more whole practices or maybe better said "encompassing the whole" practices a great definition way to call it would be "the art of nourishing life"

I posted this in another thread, from the book A Light Warrior's Guide To High Level Energy Healing,

"Qigong is more than simply a study of energy. In addition ro being the single most profound form of preventative and healing medicine, the practice of High Level qigong is a way of life, a way of attaining our highest spiritual goals, and a way of attaining knowledge of who we really are and what we are supposed to be doing on this earth."

I think of "qigong" as a label for communicating with outsiders, too broad and therefore less useful for those involved in the practice themselves.

Have you seen Arahan? It is a funny movie. One of the masters looks out at a bustling market and comments, "So many practicing qigong, and they don't even know it."

I prefer to use the term 'energy cultivation', it implies a wide range of endeavors, including health , spiritual and martial. When I learnt 8 brocades in 1970 there was, to my knowledge no term qigong, it was part of 'ancient art exercises'. The term qigong has unfortunately become debased, anyone doing simple massage or an exercise set refers to it as qigong, in fact it encompasses a large range of energy disciplines.

Sign in to follow this