walsh_zack

Monastic Study Opportunities

My name is Zack. I am a 23 year-old male currently working as a foreign English teacher in Nanjing, China. I have come to realize that I wish to completely devote myself to the Tao. I have educated myself upon what is required, and I have attempted to apply those teachings to my worldly life as best I can. Now, I wish to make an even greater commitment by seeking membership into a monastic community. I have done some preliminary research and I've even taken a pilgrimage to Wudang mountain seeking advice. Thus far, I have heard it is not possible to be a monk and a foreigner in mainland China, where I much prefer to study. However, since my spiritual drive is far greater than any obstacle, I have realigned myself according to those opportunities that present themselves. The monastery which seems the closest to satisfying my needs at present is Foguangshan in Taiwan, which teaches humanistic Buddhism, not Taoism. At this point in my search, my hope is that I can find some guidance here. I am open to any suggestions even those outside the confines of China or Taoism (if necessary). If you know anyone or if you have any information that could help me in ANY WAY, please post. I humbly thank you.

Respectfully,

Zack Walsh

A guy who used to post here who went by the alias of dao zhen was a Westener studying Daoism in China... He left to go on retreat a while back. Having looked at one of his previous articles in the Contributed Articles part of the forum, his signature contains a link to Eternal Spring Tours. Worth maybe getting in touch with them.

There are others who visit the forum who have studied in China, but I'll leave them to speak for themselves.

Yours humbly,

James

Edited by .broken.

Have you tried talking with a member of the P.R.C.? Someone in the Government that has official powers with the monastic community.

Since you are in Najing you should read this:

http://www.chinadaily.com.cn/china/2007-11...ent_6261586.htm

YM

Italian contemplates life as Buddhist monk

By Wu Jiao (China Daily)

Updated: 2007-11-17 14:42

0013729ece6b08a8d17f4a.jpg

Lucas during his ordination at Xuanzang Temple in Nanjing last week. [China Daily]

A week after becoming a Buddhist monk in Nanjing, Jiangsu Province, an Italian man finds he hardly has any time for meditation.

"I have to speak to journalists all the time. I haven't started (Buddhist meditation) so far," said the 28-year-old, who preferred to be identified only as Lucas.

Lucas during his ordination at Xuanzang Temple in Nanjing last week. [China Daily]

He was ordained on November 10, becoming the first Italian, and perhaps the first foreign Buddhist monk in China, attracting crowds of reporters.

Lucas' ordination took place at Xuanzang Temple, well known for housing the relics of master monk Xuan Zang, who was famous for his 16-year pilgrimage to India and translating Buddhist scriptures in the early Tang Dynasty (618-907 AD).

Lucas used to visit the temple at weekends when he was studying Chinese at the nearby Southeast University.

Explaining his conversion from Catholicism to Buddhism, he said all religions share similar underlying basic truths though they have different cultural manifestations.

The master's graduate from the University of Rome speaks fluent Chinese after spending two years in China. He described his commitment to Buddhism as yuan fen, or destiny.

"Becoming a monk was rather an internal call determined by fate," said Lucas.

Despite the ease with which he changed his religious belief, his tutor at the temple was actually quite cautious in accepting the foreign disciple.

Master Chuan Zhen, the abbot, said he didn't accept Lucas until he passed one year of observation, to make sure that he did not make the choice on the spur of the moment.

"I found that although his knowledge of Buddhism was limited, his belief was strong," Chuan Zhen recalled, stressing that he has a very good understanding of classic Buddhist concepts.

For instance, Lucas' favorite Buddhist hymn is, "Put down the killing knife, and become a Buddhist at once".

"It means that human life is basically a struggle, but one can get internal peace once he stops struggling," said Lucas.

He was confident that he could obey the five basic precepts of morality defined in Buddhism, including commitments not to kill, drink alcohol or engage in sex.

Master Chuan Zhen has a major ambition - that Lucas can one day be like Matteo Ricci, the first foreigner to bring Catholicism to China in the late 16th century.

"I have high expectations of him," said Chuan Zhen. "Some day he might take Buddhism to Rome."

Thus far, I have heard it is not possible to be a monk and a foreigner in mainland China, where I much prefer to study.

This is just not true.

Whom ever told you such a thing i would question their knowledge in this area or their intent when they told you such a thing.

Some teachers will tell give you a very close minded view of you unable to learn what you seek. Often times this is really seen as they want you to work harder.

among other things it could be (while trying to investigate the persons intention)

In my opinion its just best to act if they claim verbally unwillingness to teach you, then don't stick around for them to teach you anything.

Edited by WhiteTiger

Build personal relationships with the people you are interested in learning from, or with.

Give to them long before you ask anything from them.

There are a billion and 1 foreigners who want to learn something here to take back to the states and make a ton of money off of, or exploit, or whatever.

And for every foreigner ready to do that, there are 3000 Chinese ready to give them the fake mojo - at a price.

Find the right person. Build the right relationship, and it will happen.

Don't jump through ridiculous hoops, or be "tested". Just come correct from the begining.

If you're someone who can be trusted, and the teacher/priest/whoever is a person with real things to teach - they already understand that legacy is greater than currency and they're happy to establish a relationship with someone who is really going to cultivate (for it's own sake).

If you're someone who can be trusted, and the teacher/priest/whoever is a person with real things to teach - they already understand that legacy is greater than currency and they're happy to establish a relationship with someone who is really going to cultivate (for it's own sake).

Thank you wudangquan, for your post. I very much appreciate it.

I said in my last post "In my opinion its just best to act if they claim verbally unwillingness to teach you, then don't stick around for them to teach you anything."

Your right a much better way to give them much and create a good relationship well ahead of time before asking for anything.

I was also taught that you understand the whole situation to figure out the proper action to take.

I feel this is also very important when making a relationship to a teacher to learn if they are the material required for you.

I personally find if a teacher tries to test you on something that could be corrected from the start that the teacher him or herself is not the right one for me.

If it were you in the same situation this is the advice I would give.