Sign in to follow this  
Mal

Into the Wild

Great movie and soundtrack. Inspiring story, since I can somewhat relate to that desperate search for truth as well. Perhaps we all can?

cool movie. i wonder if they left some parts out.

like if he was familiar with the principles of the transcendental movement, and other forms of spirituality, and dedicated enough to become an ascetic wouldnt he have some kind of meditation practice as well?

i dont remember the movie touching on that too much.

^_^

Unfortunately the truth and the movie are not one and the same thing.

Basically the young fellow died because he didn't use common sense.

There is no truth to him ingesting a poisinous herb.

He starved to death.

He starved to death in a region with waters full of fish.

He chose to spend his last days in an abandon bus in the middle of a flat swampy area,

a couple days easy walk from civilisation.

There was constructed river crossing only a couple of miles from the bus.

Fortunately the sound track makes up for the films lack of integrity.

I find no heroics in his actions only a lingering sadness,that the world he was raised in cared more for money then for love.

Krakauer is an excellent writer. I'd suggest picking up Into Thin Air if you havent already read it!

Seems like Krakauer believed that he was killed by a fungus that grew on those seeds he was eating, since they were in this moist plastic bag for so long.

Unfortunately the truth and the movie are not one and the same thing.

Basically the young fellow died because he didn't use common sense.

There is no truth to him ingesting a poisinous herb.

He starved to death.

He starved to death in a region with waters full of fish.

He chose to spend his last days in an abandon bus in the middle of a flat swampy area,

a couple days easy walk from civilisation.

There was constructed river crossing only a couple of miles from the bus.

Fortunately the sound track makes up for the films lack of integrity.

I find no heroics in his actions only a lingering sadness,that the world he was raised in cared more for money then for love.

LOL you've read my mind sir.

The movie to me is a perfect example of a useless childish rebelious behavior and a total incapacity of a city boy to survive in the nature and to use his brain.

It proves the complete inefectiveness of modern education too.

In other words he died like a dumass.

What a waste of life. Only in America !

Thats cool thanks man.

Just a note, I am not going to be cut off from civilization, If something goes wrong I would just have to walk about 20 miles to get to my normal home. I may even work weekends and just train mon-friday. I don't know yet, I am going to have to work more to afford repairs to the roof at the cabin, and some other things. I have many years of store-able dried food.

Also I plan to garden, but I wont be fishing unless I am starving because of high mercury levels in our lakes here, maybe fishing in the streams.

I read a pretty convincing theory about him dying from the effects of a berry he was collecting that is edible during a part of it's life cycle but mildly toxic at other times. I think it was in Outside magazine (where the original story was published) and based on some forensic evidence collected and re-examined later. The effect led to him being unable to absorb nutrition from the food he was eating, or something like that.

The book really didn't get into much of the spiritual/psychological side of things any more than the movie did.

I guess that Krakauer didn't want to try and guess at his thought process, whether idealistic or pathologic.

I read the book and saw the movie as well. The book, of course, is a lot more detailed but moreso technical which I really enjoyed

I think the true story of Chris McCandless will never really be known, but what I did find poetic and romantic about this young man was the courage he had to break out of civilization. Sure, he made some mistakes which resulted in his death, but it certainly should not paint his life out to be a cheap lesson for kids. He was smart, had many convictions about humanity and the state of the world and wanted to test himself armed with what he knew at that time.

That said, give the kid a break. He was 22, fresh out of college and feeling invincible.

About 12 years ago I've heard a story of a guy that was diagnosed with cancer -he was very sick and could barely walk and it was too late for any treatment.. Of course the doctors still tried to get him to do the kimo therapy - but they couldn't ensure him even a chance to prolongue his life for a few months - so basically he was to die very soon. But the man refused to do the kimo and stopped going to the doctor altogether - and took a different decision - he got a rifle with enough ammo for a few months and matches also enough to last him for a few good months. He didn't take any food with him however and he went into the Siberian Tundra by himself after saying goodbye for ever to his friends and family. Now Siberian Tundra is not the most user-friendly place around, besides the immense area and extreme cold temperatures they also have pretty serious bears and siberian tigers etc.

So to make long story short he had to fight the hard conditions and to survive he had to hunt and keep himself warm and 5 months later he came back to his family healthy like cucumber.

Nobody made a movie about the guy nobody wrote a book about him - the only way people learned about his story was because his family was totally blown away by his return - as in the meantime they had burried him already with a priest and a service etc - so it was published in the local newspaper. Also the guy didn't have any extreme spiritual ideas - just the basic christian philosophy that simple folk go by.

He got very sick and was about to die - he forced his body to cure himself and didn't die.

Also I've heard of another guy that had advanced stomach ulcer or smth like that.

He went to live high in the mountains with the sheppards. 3 months later after eating only sheep cheese and milk and working with the sheppards - the guy comes back with a healthy stomach.

Now that's impressive to me.

Sign in to follow this