Sign in to follow this  
Yoda

Incense poll

Incense poll  

27 members have voted

1. 1. how helpful is it to you to burn incense while you practice?

• extremely/can't do without
    • very
    • somewhat
    • no effect either way
    • it's a negative and I try to avoid it

just curious.

It depends what kind they all have different energy and colors coming from them ---you can also program the incense or the beings of light to cleans the room of negative energy and thought forms and raise the vibration to help you reach deeper mediation

Sandalwood has green energy and is good for cleansing---nag champa is good for meditation it has green and violet more spiritual energy. You can also bless the incense to make it more powerful--every thing is energy

We are all one in the force:)

This is an interesting one...... I love incense! especially when I find some fancy Tibetan ones! but all the studies show that it's a big pollutant and not very good for you health. From what I remembered air purification samples were taken from temples etc and the pollution was lots worse then smoking! if that is possible....

Since I read all that I have not burned any :-( I used to burn it all the time and use it to 'smudge' and in ritual stuff...

Here is a link I just found...

http://www.sciencenews.org/view/generic/id...air_in_churches

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/1467409.stm (linked to cancer)

Actually now we only use beeswax candles too as others pollute but beeswax purifies the air!

:)

LOL well if you are burning as much as a temple or church that would be an issue on many levels LOL--but one stick of high quality incense is not harmful when you meditate

I am prone to SAD and depression. I find frankincense a very powerful antidepressant. I usually burn it at bedtime, not when practicing.

It was a gift to the Lord Christ for a reason!! from the 3 Magi

Thanks all! Been getting into it recently and forgot about how much I miss the stuff!!

kind of depends on what kind of incense and how much and where.

i would prefer one which doesn't produce a lot of smoke for example.

any suggestions?

white sage is really quite nice, but it's not a stick, more like a brush of dried leaves on twigs, usually.

maybe pine is nice also, but i think one has to be careful to pick the right kind as there are some toxinc ones if i remember that right?

yeah I ran out of my Tibetan Zimpu...best incense ever, imho :) last couple times I ventured down to dharma jewel they didnt have any!

Nag Champa is the shizzle fo sure but I kinda overdosed on it so have last few years been burning morning star a japanese brand. seems cleaner than some others, the rose scented especially nice compared to other brands IMHO and the pine flavour made a good xmas stocking filler. I bulk bought it from my local buddhist centre, xmas flavoured incense! everybody is a winner!

peace x

I've loved incense since I was a boy. I bought my first incense burner at Disneyland in the late 50s, they had some stores there that sold imported India brass and incense. I bought both and I would sit and watch the incense smoke rise up, first straight, and the billowing into clouds and dispersing throughout the room for hours.

My first 'religious' experience was with incense. As a boy there was a shop where I grew up which imported from the Far East. It was run by two wonderful Jews from Germany whose whole families had been lost to the juggernaut of the Holocaust, but China had given them a home and they survived to bring a bit of oriental art into my hometown. The Wife was one of my Mother's best friends and so naturally I would often go to their store. There one day I picked some incense called 'Kuan Yin' and bought it and took it home. I read the literature which described 'Kuan Yin' as a Chinese Goddess of mercy. I decided that I liked that and I lit the incense. No sooner had I smelled it than I laid back and closed my eyes and went somewhere else, I know not where, but ever since then I have loved her and I know I always will.

A rather strange experience for a ten year old round eye, circa 1960, don't ya think?

The same Japanese company that imports the morning star mentioned in a post above also has some excellent high-end sandalwood and aloeswood. Both of these are very high vibrational. I keep these in my clinic and use them with my classes. Most sandalwood I have seen is not so good. The high-end aloeswood costs a lot, though.

Hi Ya Mu, what's the diference between sandalwood and aloeswood in your opinion?

When you mention high-end, did you mean both the $14 sticks and the $33 sticks from your site, or only the $33 sticks?

The same Japanese company that imports the morning star mentioned in a post above also has some excellent high-end sandalwood and aloeswood. Both of these are very high vibrational. I keep these in my clinic and use them with my classes. Most sandalwood I have seen is not so good. The high-end aloeswood costs a lot, though.

but all the studies show that it's a big pollutant and not very good for you health. From what I remembered air purification samples were taken from temples etc and the pollution was lots worse then smoking! if that is possible....

Always wondered about that. I try to avoid siting in a smoky room or being in the path of the smoke from the stick

Nag Champa is the shizzle fo sure

Agreed I pretty much only use Satya Sai Baba Nag Champa. on the site http://www.nagchampa.com/ they apparently have a "gold" version but I have not tried that.

Nag Champa, and good sandal wood are my favorites, but then again I really haven't looked for others. I can buy legit nag champa (the blue box stuff) in bulk for so cheap on ebay. I've got about 1000 sticks. I tried some of master lin's incense, its ok I guess but I didn't like it very much.

Always wondered about that. I try to avoid siting in a smoky room or being in the path of the smoke from the stick

Agreed I pretty much only use Satya Sai Baba Nag Champa. on the site http://www.nagchampa.com/ they apparently have a "gold" version but I have not tried that.

It looks like that "gold" version is made by a different company, I'd be interested to see if it is better I might place an order for some of their incense :)

Hi Ya Mu, what's the diference between sandalwood and aloeswood in your opinion?

When you mention high-end, did you mean both the $14 sticks and the $33 sticks from your site, or only the $33 sticks?

High end = KYARA TAIKAN for aloeswood

= MAINICHI BYAKUDAN for sandalwood

I tend to use sandalwood for cleaning rooms and cleaning peoples external energy fields and aloeswood for special occasions and ceremonies. This importer's Nippon Koda cheaper sandalwood is better than most any other I have found so it is OK. I do a form of qigong acupuncture where I use the cheaper one (I use 2-3 sticks at a time) to swirl sick qi from the acupoints. For this I use both KAYURAGI and the basic long stick sandalwood called Shin Mainichi Koh product # 156 ( http://www.nipponkodo.com/webcatalog/book38.html). This is not bad at all.

There is nothing wrong with the JINKOH JUZAN aloeswood; it is nice as well.

The company's site is http://www.nipponkodo.com

Yoda

I think the responses you are getting go beyond the poll question which was perhaps limited in scope.

I almost never use incense during my practice. Practice defined as sitting meditation practice.

I use it frequently to raise the vibration of a room or the whole house. It is a useful tool for sure.

Whether Japanese, Tibetan or otherwise you definitely get what you pay for in my experience (some internet deals may be the exception, i don't know). I look at Incense like fine wine or good food. It takes good care and proper ingredients to make good quality product. And you don't want to take it too often or too much either.

IF it is becoming a pollutant you may be using too much :P

The symbol of incense is that of something from earth reaching up towards heaven. So in the act of burning incense making the heaven/earth connection is implicit. This is one aspect of intention which you can make conscious to enhance the ritual.

Or you can just use it like air freshener and go on about your business...ha ha.

Craig

Hmm an interesting one.....

As I am in the my 38th week of pregnancy incense can be a tad overpowering for me at the moment.

I personally prefer Frankincense in the resin form and dried white sage for smudging/ energy clearing.

In stick or cone format Sai Flora, Vetiver, Spiriutal Guide and Nag Champa usually get the thumbs up. There is just something otherworldly in the observation of the 'Dance' the smoke partakes in on its journey from ground to sky.

I'm more of an essential oil user myself, though I burn frankincense occasionally to ward off unwanted energies. Never during practice though - the smoke reeks havoc on one's lungs and I have found it detrimental to my qigong practice.

Yours,

James

I burn tibetan incense every day on an altar, I light it in the morning and give thanks.

I like it during practice but isnt essential or habitual.

I like to burn nag champa or a good sandal wood, just because. I don't have to use it in meditation but finds it does seem help me personally, I can relax more, when the air is pregnant with smoke.

Sign in to follow this