Sign in to follow this  
super80

self teach?

Hello, newbie here...

This has probably been discussed many times before, but I am curious what some of you think about the "self-teaching" thing, i.e., no master...

I live more than one hour north of Atlanta(without traffic) and I don't know of any teachers in my immediate area for Qigong or Kunlun, which are the two practices I am interested in. I am currently doing Qigong practice every morning using a DVD called "Chi for health", which was produced in Atlanta by Sifu Jeff Larson. He is a great person and answers any questions I have through email. This teacher does teach in person, but he is a bit too far from me to go regularly. I also ordered the Kunlun book from Max. Some questions I have are:

1) Is it possible to do this by yourself, or is it imperative that one find a master to train?

2) From what I have read it is hard enough to find a competent master, let alone one that will actually take on a student. That said, do many of you resort to self-teaching through books and DVDs?

3) I have several of the Chia books and they all preface with the warning regarding self-teaching. Meaning, do this at your own risk if you choose to teach yourself. So what does this really mean?? Specifically what kinds of danger are we talking about? I would be curious to hear some personal stories.

4) Finally, what are some recommendations for a newbie wanting to embark on these paths? Any specific books, DVDs, advice, etc...?

I apologize in advance if these topics have been beaten to death. :)

Thanks so much,

Vic

Hello, newbie here...

This has probably been discussed many times before, but I am curious what some of you think about the "self-teaching" thing, i.e., no master...

I live more than one hour north of Atlanta(without traffic) and I don't know of any teachers in my immediate area for Qigong or Kunlun, which are the two practices I am interested in. I am currently doing Qigong practice every morning using a DVD called "Chi for health", which was produced in Atlanta by Sifu Jeff Larson. He is a great person and answers any questions I have through email. This teacher does teach in person, but he is a bit too far from me to go regularly. I also ordered the Kunlun book from Max. Some questions I have are:

1) Is it possible to do this by yourself, or is it imperative that one find a master to train?

2) From what I have read it is hard enough to find a competent master, let alone one that will actually take on a student. That said, do many of you resort to self-teaching through books and DVDs?

3) I have several of the Chia books and they all preface with the warning regarding self-teaching. Meaning, do this at your own risk if you choose to teach yourself. So what does this really mean?? Specifically what kinds of danger are we talking about? I would be curious to hear some personal stories.

4) Finally, what are some recommendations for a newbie wanting to embark on these paths? Any specific books, DVDs, advice, etc...?

Thanks so much,

Vic

I know a really good "qigong guy" near atlanta. PM me and I will try to get you in contact if you are interested.

Self-practice can lead to complications - my recommendation is to find a teacher. Have you ever considered taking a weekend workshop with a competent teacher? Is it not worth the travel time to do that? Getting started right can be worth many years of trying to do something that you do not understand.

Have you ever considered taking a weekend workshop with a competent teacher? Is it not worth the travel time to do that?

Thanks for the reply. To answer your question, yes, it is definitely worth the travel time. But my concern is that once or twice in person may not be enough, or is this not the case?

I also sent you a PM.

-Vic

Thanks for the reply. To answer your question, yes, it is definitely worth the travel time. But my concern is that once or twice in person may not be enough, or is this not the case?

I also sent you a PM.

-Vic

Search out a good teacher. You can learn quite a bit from books and dvds but a good teacher will help you guide you down a path. I have had many breakthroughs on my own but only because I had someone I was working with that could answer questions as they came up. Even if you can only meet with someone once a month or less it will be better than not having that guide. My studies relate more to Taiji but Qigong is a huge part of it as well.

I do not know of teachers in your area but I am sure others will chime in with recommendations. Good luck!

I also sent you a PM.

-Vic

Are you sure you sent the PM to me? Have not received.

You have a valid concern. It really depends on the system and the teacher and what you wish to get out of it. For example, a person can attend one of my weekend workshops and leave knowing a complete internal system. If a person only wishes to practice for self-health, then he/she can go home and practice for the rest of his life and never attend another workshop. But if he feels a resonance and wishes to go deeper into the system, he comes back for more workshops whenever he can. Or if said person wishes to learn Medical Qigong he practices then comes back for deeper studies. But be sure any teacher you try this method with will allow you access to answer any questions or help you through anything that comes up as a result of the practice. But you have to be willing to do your part in the continuous practice.

Are you sure you sent the PM to me? Have not received.

You have a valid concern. It really depends on the system and the teacher and what you wish to get out of it. For example, a person can attend one of my weekend workshops and leave knowing a complete internal system. If a person only wishes to practice for self-health, then he/she can go home and practice for the rest of his life and never attend another workshop. But if he feels a resonance and wishes to go deeper into the system, he comes back for more workshops whenever he can. Or if said person wishes to learn Medical Qigong he practices then comes back for deeper studies. But be sure any teacher you try this method with will allow you access to answer any questions or help you through anything that comes up as a result of the practice. But you have to be willing to do your part in the continuous practice.

Thanks for the sound advice. At this point my goals are to learn a complete internal system with emphasis on health, but I am sure I will want to go deeper at some point.

Getting started right can be worth many years of trying to do something that you do not understand.

I would echo these sentiments, the foundation is important to be correct as there could be problems in wrong practise.

I'm not sure about M. Chia, my teacher's are not his greatest fans and I've heard the same form many others. Approach his work with caution, if something does not feel right then don't dwell too much.

one needs a physical teacher, it is a must. when you can clearly commune with higher beings then the physical teacher is not needed but still very helpfull.

metta

adam

Hello, newbie here...

Thanks so much,

Vic

Sign in to follow this