Sign in to follow this  
Yoda

Karma in taoism

I was just reading a debate between Mak Tin Si and Vajrasattva which got me wondering how much the philosophy of karma is in taoist thinking?

I was just reading a debate between Mak Tin Si and Vajrasattva which got me wondering how much the philosophy of karma is in taoist thinking?

From what I've read, what's written his heavliy seeped in confucian or buddhist cosmology

h

I'm also wondering if there is such a thing as taoism that isn't hybridized with other traditions.

I think the intent is the same in both, just the words are different.

Like onions though, the outer layers are different, the more you peel it the closer you get to the one truth.

Edited by Starjumper7

Master Yap Soon-Yeong discusses the relationship between qi and karma in his book "Energy Medicine in CFQ Healing".

I don't practice his qigong, however, I found his discussion on this topic fascinating.

I'm also wondering if there is such a thing as taoism that isn't hybridized with other traditions.

I think we all agree that the origin of Daoism is difficult to pin down to say the least.

From what my tradition embraces, karma is too heavily seeped in religious dogma and faith. I once asked my master about this, and relating to a personal issue I asked him of the outcome of a specific choice would give me bad karma. He said "Karma is based on faith, or superstition". His point is probably that the concept of Karma is clouding reality, and becomes an entity itself to fear or whorship.

You don't always reap what you sow, but you could say it's a good pointer.

In addition, "Ming" or destiny is up to us, while "Ching" or nature is up to heaven.

Basically; most things, let's say a majority of your life is really out of our hands. But the last 20-30% is up to us.

In truth the whole emphasis on karma fear-inducing, and can really make us neurotic.

Better be natural, and trust our essential nature to do what is good, be in the right place, take right decisions.

For the rest of the time, how on earth do we know we are doing the right thing when we think we are doing the right thing?

h

I think we all agree that the origin of Daoism is difficult to pin down to say the least.

From what my tradition embraces, karma is too heavily seeped in religious dogma and faith. I once asked my master about this, and relating to a personal issue I asked him of the outcome of a specific choice would give me bad karma. He said "Karma is based on faith, or superstition". His point is probably that the concept of Karma is clouding reality, and becomes an entity itself to fear or whorship.

You don't always reap what you sow, but you could say it's a good pointer.

In addition, "Ming" or destiny is up to us, while "Ching" or nature is up to heaven.

Basically; most things, let's say a majority of your life is really out of our hands. But the last 20-30% is up to us.

In truth the whole emphasis on karma fear-inducing, and can really make us neurotic.

Better be natural, and trust our essential nature to do what is good, be in the right place, take right decisions.

For the rest of the time, how on earth do we know we are doing the right thing when we think we are doing the right thing?

h

Excellent post Hagar.

The implications of karma are so encompassing and profound, it would be foolish to ignore the time wasted on wondering about its various and multiple manifestations.

Surely karma is born like everything else when the one becomes two.

my vision shows me that what we call 'karma' is the movement of our part of the kalaidoscope ( I cant spell that word today... :blink: ?)

because we are not separate, every shift we make has repercussions. look down into an actual kaleidoscope, or into a sacred geometry image and imagine it moving. you are in there. every movement creates a shift in the pattern. that is karma.

it is inevitable.

Sign in to follow this