Long Yun

Spring Forest/Alchemy Correllation

Hi everyone,

I recently had a discussion with Drew Hemple, who gave me some good straight answers on a question I had, which was, "Is Spring Forest Qigong a total approach to Inner Alchemy?" He said that it was, and that he had used "Taoist Yoga: Alchemy and Immortality" as a practice guide along with Spring Forest. I thought that this was great, so I asked which exercises in Spring Forest correllate to the practices described when talking about Inner Alchemy (Jing, Chi, Shen, Pill-forming, etc.) Drew said, "It's important to consider the practice as a WHOLE with each exercise complementing the other." I totally agree with this, but to indulge my curiosity, I wanted to run this by you all:

According to my current knowledge (please correct any mistakes you see here, I'm not perfect!) the process of Inner Alchemy as described in "Cultivating Stillness" (translated by Eva Wong) is as follows:

The Birth of Yang

This is the foundation practice of "lighting the stove" or activating the lower dantian.

Gathering Jing

Purifying (Transmuting) Jing into Chi

Gathering Chi

Purifying Chi into Shen

Gathering Shen

Merging with Earlier Heaven

Formation of the Pill

Sealing off "the container" by dissolving emotion and desire

Microcosmic Orbit

This joins kan and li and recovers chien and kun

What really struck me as I was reading the Spring Forest Level One Manual, was how similar all of it was in comparison (without just giving away Master Lin's book...):

Throughout, Master Lin maintains that we need to quote, "Go into the emptiness" which I think we all agree on.

Exercises

Beginning the Universe

Pulls energy into the lower dantian (lighting the stove?)

Forming of Yin and Yang

Moving of Yin and Yang

Breathing the Universe

Again pulling into the dantian

Joining Yin and Yang

Harmony of the Universe

7 Steps of New Life

This acts as a bellows (on the stove?)

Harvesting Qi

Rubbing exercise that seals the body

Meditations

Small Universe

Waterwheel-type exercise, in which you form a pill of energy in the lower dantian

Self Concentration

Builds Harmony with the Universe

After all that, here's my conclusion. Spring Forest looks to me to be a total system of Inner Alchemy, hopefully even more so once I get to the other manuals. My questions are more geared towards people that have practiced Spring Forest, but anyone is welcome to post your input. Here it goes.

Why are all these really advanced exercises (formation of the pill in particular) in Level One??? Am I overcomplicating things here? Am I looking for connections that aren't really there? If this is a total method of Inner Alchemy, which I truly believe it is, why are these exercises arranged in this pattern, instead of the pattern listed in "Cultivating Stillness"? Should I not be going through a celibacy period to preserve Jing before I am forming the pill?

So those are some of the questions I've been asking myself, and I'd like some input just to indulge my curiosity. Let me know what you think. And please keep in mind that my descriptions of both Inner Alchemy and Spring Forest have all been highly condensed and oversimplified. I also realize that there is a good deal left to discuss about proper use of the mind in inner practices. Sorry, but I don't think I can get into everything in one post. I did my best :lol:

Edited by admin

Hi everyone,

I recently had a discussion with Drew Hemple, who gave me some good straight answers on a question I had, which was, "Is Spring Forest Qigong a total approach to Inner Alchemy?" He said that it was, and that he had used "Taoist Yoga: Alchemy and Immortality" as a practice guide along with Spring Forest. I thought that this was great, so I asked which exercises in Spring Forest correllate to the practices described when talking about Inner Alchemy (Jing, Chi, Shen, Pill-forming, etc.) Drew said, "It's important to consider the practice as a WHOLE with each exercise complementing the other." I totally agree with this, but to indulge my curiosity, I wanted to run this by you all:

According to my current knowledge (please correct any mistakes you see here, I'm not perfect!) the process of Inner Alchemy as described in "Cultivating Stillness" (translated by Eva Wong) is as follows:

The Birth of Yang

This is the foundation practice of "lighting the stove" or activating the lower dantian.

Gathering Jing

Purifying (Transmuting) Jing into Chi

Gathering Chi

Purifying Chi into Shen

Gathering Shen

Merging with Earlier Heaven

Formation of the Pill

Sealing off "the container" by dissolving emotion and desire

Microcosmic Orbit

This joins kan and li and recovers chien and kun

What really struck me as I was reading the Spring Forest Level One Manual, was how similar all of it was in comparison (without just giving away Master Lin's book...):

Throughout, Master Lin maintains that we need to quote, "Go into the emptiness" which I think we all agree on.

Exercises

Beginning the Universe

Pulls energy into the lower dantian (lighting the stove?)

Forming of Yin and Yang

Moving of Yin and Yang

Breathing the Universe

Again pulling into the dantian

Joining Yin and Yang

Harmony of the Universe

7 Steps of New Life

This acts as a bellows (on the stove?)

Harvesting Qi

Rubbing exercise that seals the body

Meditations

Small Universe

Waterwheel-type exercise, in which you form a pill of energy in the lower dantian

Self Concentration

Builds Harmony with the Universe

After all that, here's my conclusion. Spring Forest looks to me to be a total system of Inner Alchemy, hopefully even more so once I get to the other manuals. My questions are more geared towards people that have practiced Spring Forest, but anyone is welcome to post your input. Here it goes.

Why are all these really advanced exercises (formation of the pill in particular) in Level One??? Am I overcomplicating things here? Am I looking for connections that aren't really there? If this is a total method of Inner Alchemy, which I truly believe it is, why are these exercises arranged in this pattern, instead of the pattern listed in "Cultivating Stillness"? Should I not be going through a celibacy period to preserve Jing before I am forming the pill?

So those are some of the questions I've been asking myself, and I'd like some input just to indulge my curiosity. Let me know what you think. And please keep in mind that my descriptions of both Inner Alchemy and Spring Forest have all been highly condensed and oversimplified. I also realize that there is a good deal left to discuss about proper use of the mind in inner practices. Sorry, but I don't think I can get into everything in one post. I did my best :lol:

well said and i agree!

well said and i agree!

You agree that it's a total alchemy system? Or that I oversimplified everything? :D

Guest sykkelpump

Spring forest is VERY good,but I dont like his meditations.My experience is that using meditations like anapanasati,mantra or white skeleton meditation. and do a lot of his active exersizes.and then after a while when you feel sexual energy starts to moving,then using his micro cosmic orbit.The micro cosmic orbit is a forcing exersise and can produce reverse progress in the beginning.it happened to me.But his moving exersizes combined with meditation, I belive can open up most peoples channels.

Spring forest is VERY good,but I dont like his meditations.My experience is that using meditations like anapanasati,mantra or white skeleton meditation. and do a lot of his active exersizes.and then after a while when you feel sexual energy starts to moving,then using his micro cosmic orbit.The micro cosmic orbit is a forcing exersise and can produce reverse progress in the beginning.it happened to me.But his moving exersizes combined with meditation, I belive can open up most peoples channels.

may i ask you , why do you think micro cosmic orbit a forcing exercise?

Guest sykkelpump

may i ask you , why do you think micro cosmic orbit a forcing exercise?

because you direct energy with your mind

Qigong master Chunyi Lin states that all you need for the practice is found in his Level 1 teaching. He also states that he could teach another 10 levels beyond his level 4 but in the West no one has reached that ability. He also states that one of his teachers taught the simplest is the most powerful and qigong master Chunyi Lin states that 20 minutes of full-lotus is worth 4 hours of any other exercise.

The question of whether the microcosmic or small universe "forces" the energy because the mind (electromagnetic energy) is used -- instead of just relying on the "emptiness" or pure consciousness -- is a fascinating question. My answer is that instead of using conceptual philosophy to argue the problems with the small universe, instead I would see it as part of the model of complementary opposite harmonics. My own research discovered that yang is 2:3, the perfect 5th music interval and yin is 3:4, the perfect 4th music interval -- from nonwestern music. Music -- not left-brain language. The 12 points of the small universe (as detailed in Taoist Yoga: Alchemy and Immortality) are actually harmonics nodes of playing music. So when we practice the small universe or any of the other qigong exercises we're actually playing music and the emptiness is the source of sound as consciousness -- which is the foundation of listening to the space between our electromagnetic awareness. The larger context of complementary opposites is that the creation of the electromagnetic mind energy is from sublimation of the sex energy when in fact it's the electromagnetic energy that is the subconscious reason for attraction between males and females. So the more an alchemist builds up his/her internal male electromagnetic energy the more those other people subconsciously controlled by their electrochemical female energy will want the electromagnetic energy for their own love-healing. This means that the focus of healing in http://springforestqigong.com does not focus necessarily on increasing internal energy as much as it focuses on emptying out the internal electrochemical and even electromagnetic blockages so that the mind-body returns back to pure consciousness as emptiness. The more we heal others the more we heal ourselves because of the harmonic complementary opposite process of emitting electromagnetic energy and in turn taking in the electrochemical blockages of others (anger, fear, sadness, worry, lust). Food is the other main electrochemical blockage after emotions -- hence the "bigu" state of qigong masters. Taoist asceticism teaches us that the more we give the more we receive in an impersonal process of energy resonating from the emptiness, without the energy being stored in the body-mind as part of some quest to find permanent immortality in some place (heaven). So this is the SECRET of the final teaching of Taoist Yoga: Alchemy and Immortality -- even the spirit body of light returns back to the same source from which the original healing started with -- what's called eternal nature in the Taoist Yoga book.

we're actually playing music

can we say? in xiao zhou tian we are just going in resonance with the swing of heaven and earth - ...? - the less we are controlling this by mind... the better the resonance can take place ?

Drew - you stated:

"This means that the focus of healing in http://springforestqigong.com does not focus necessarily on increasing internal energy as much as it focuses on emptying out the internal electrochemical and even electromagnetic blockages so that the mind-body returns back to pure consciousness as emptiness."

I have practiced SFQ, and I did not feel it's focus was on "building Qi", but rather on "smoothing Qi" that was already there and opening Qi channels. Is this your experience?

To be honest, I have not emphasized the practice because there are other forms of Qigong that have more focus on "building Qi", which have tangible effects.

Also you seem to take this a step further saying SFQ "empties", leading one towards the ultimate Emptiness. Very interesting. This would imply that the effects of Master Chunyi Lin's practice are more subtle, yet potentially more beneficial in the long run.

For people taking up SFQ, what can you say the practitioner can expect after, say, 6 months of concerted practice (minimum 1 hour per day)? After 2 years of practice?

Thanks...

Hi Fu Dog,

What other types of qigong practices have you been involved in that provide tangible results of building the qi? Could you be more specific please?

NYC -

Yes, I have tried many types of Qigong, however, I have gravitated to Dr. Stephen T. Chang's qigong as baseline exercises. Specifcally my foundation qigong is made up of two programs. The first is Dr. Chang's Deer exercise, Crane breathing and Turtle breathing (which is particularly powerful). Dr. Chang's qigong is really excellent for "building qi", and you can feel tangible benefits almost immediately. These can be found in his book "The Complete System of Self Healing".

Dr. Chang's qigong, though powerful, uses only small movements. So I follow that with more moving, vigorous qigong exercises as these also benefit muscle tone. What I use for the second foundation is Master C. K. Chu's Eternal Spring Qigong. It only takes about 10 minutes to go through this routine, and the benefits are very good. Master Chu has a book with this program titled, "Eternal Spring Chi Kung".

Then I finish my daily routine with "Carefree Walking of the Taoists" as described in Master Lam Kamchuen's book, "Walking Chi Kung". This is a deceptively simple, yet very beneficial exercise.

I found this to be an excellent daily routine, which takes about 45 minutes. I do this every morning with very good benefits. This routine builds qi and energy with each session, which has lots of benefits.

That said (and not to thread jack), my interest in Spring Forest Qigong is that it is a very different type of qigong. As per my questions above, I am quite interested in getting some feedback on expectations from long term practice. I would not stop my morning routine as discussed above, however, I may consider SFQ as an evening qigong.

Guest sykkelpump

NYC -

Yes, I have tried many types of Qigong, however, I have gravitated to Dr. Stephen T. Chang's qigong as baseline exercises. Specifcally my foundation qigong is made up of two programs. The first is Dr. Chang's Deer exercise, Crane breathing and Turtle breathing (which is particularly powerful). Dr. Chang's qigong is really excellent for "building qi", and you can feel tangible benefits almost immediately. These can be found in his book "The Complete System of Self Healing".

Dr. Chang's qigong, though powerful, uses only small movements. So I follow that with more moving, vigorous qigong exercises as these also benefit muscle tone. What I use for the second foundation is Master C. K. Chu's Eternal Spring Qigong. It only takes about 10 minutes to go through this routine, and the benefits are very good. Master Chu has a book with this program titled, "Eternal Spring Chi Kung".

Then I finish my daily routine with "Carefree Walking of the Taoists" as described in Master Lam Kamchuen's book, "Walking Chi Kung". This is a deceptively simple, yet very beneficial exercise.

I found this to be an excellent daily routine, which takes about 45 minutes. I do this every morning with very good benefits. This routine builds qi and energy with each session, which has lots of benefits.

That said (and not to thread jack), my interest in Spring Forest Qigong is that it is a very different type of qigong. As per my questions above, I am quite interested in getting some feedback on expectations from long term practice. I would not stop my morning routine as discussed above, however, I may consider SFQ as an evening qigong.

The first book I ever read about about qi gong was The Complete System of Self Healing from Dr stephen T Chang.I really wouldnt call it qi gong.Anyway if you get good results from this book,you should expect very good results from spring forest qi gong.

Sykkel -

Thus to my first question: What type of results?

About a year ago, I practiced SFQ for about 60 days (though not consistently). I was looking for "building Qi" exercises, as my Qi was depleted. My experience led me to the conclusion that other forms of Qigong were stronger for that objective.

As for Chang's exercises, in my opinion Crane Breathing and Turtle Breathing are modified forms of Dan Tien breathing. However, I find they build more Qi than Dan Tien and/or reverse Dan Tien breathing.

I generally classify Qigong as doing primarily one of two things, either (1) "building Qi" or (2) "smoothing Qi/opening channels". (In reality, most forms of Qigong do both, however, my arbitrary classification is based on what I feel the Qigong does primarily.)

My perception from the relatively brief time I practiced SFQ is that is primarily a "smoothing Qi/opening Channels" type of Qigong, though it does do some "building" also.

That said, perhaps SFQ does something else, on a higher level.

I am interested in this thread because, as coincidence would have it, after one year of not practicing SFQ I re-started the practice of the style just last night. This time I plan on going at it consistently every evening, for a minimum of 6 months before drawing conclusions.

So, if you have practiced SFQ for a period of time, what is your experience with the type of results? Your comments are welcome.

Forcing, or assisting is fine. Tummo practitioners are actually encouraged to use forced meditation if it doesnt come on it's own....I read that in a book so that means it's true.

:lol:

Getting back to some of my original thoughts,

I am planning on taking several days soon on a sort of "virtue cultivation." I am going to intensely change the things in my life that I feel I don't exercise enough discipline in. :D No need to list them all out for you. After this, I'm going to be starting Spring Forest.

Should I be following any sort of special order of exercises to get the full effects? (Besides Full Lotus, which I'm currently stretching my way into)

Any celibacy period? The Spring Forest Manual doesn't mention any, but basically everything else that I've read does.

Thanks for your input.

Fu Dog,

Interesting can you give a brief outline of walking Qi kung? I walk and ride my bike breathing using Dan Tian and feel much more energy and relaxed, how does your walking Qi Kung work?

Ape

Guest sykkelpump

Sykkel -

Thus to my first question: What type of results?

About a year ago, I practiced SFQ for about 60 days (though not consistently). I was looking for "building Qi" exercises, as my Qi was depleted. My experience led me to the conclusion that other forms of Qigong were stronger for that objective.

As for Chang's exercises, in my opinion Crane Breathing and Turtle Breathing are modified forms of Dan Tien breathing. However, I find they build more Qi than Dan Tien and/or reverse Dan Tien breathing.

I generally classify Qigong as doing primarily one of two things, either (1) "building Qi" or (2) "smoothing Qi/opening channels". (In reality, most forms of Qigong do both, however, my arbitrary classification is based on what I feel the Qigong does primarily.)

My perception from the relatively brief time I practiced SFQ is that is primarily a "smoothing Qi/opening Channels" type of Qigong, though it does do some "building" also.

That said, perhaps SFQ does something else, on a higher level.

I am interested in this thread because, as coincidence would have it, after one year of not practicing SFQ I re-started the practice of the style just last night. This time I plan on going at it consistently every evening, for a minimum of 6 months before drawing conclusions.

So, if you have practiced SFQ for a period of time, what is your experience with the type of results? Your comments are welcome.

imo qi gong moving forms dont build much qi.you can learn to breath qi into the body but it is difficult and you need your channels to be open to some degree to get results. most people dont succed with that and just wasting time trying.meditation build lots of chi and opens the channels to.it is really all you need.In my experience moving forms does not work very well if you have little qi in your body.the more chi you have the more effective the form is.And Spring forest form is the best i have tried by far.Thats why I think you need to combinate meditation and qi gong.Meditation to build qi and open your channels,and spring forest qi gong active exersizes to speed up the opening of the channels.The meditation I think is safest to learn and not go wrong with is the "I am" mantra from http://www.aypsite.com/ .

If you practice this combination every day and have a normal health,I think it should be poissible to open the micro cosmic orbit whithin maybe 6 months,and that is a big step.

Edited by sykkelpump

I would say that to think for what SFQ does for someone else is to turn the question around -- Who am I when the universe combines with my body? This is a conceptual question. My SFQ practice is just to sit in full-lotus as much as possible -- at the computer, at work, at the library, at home while reading, while watching movies, even while eating. Obviously such full-lotus requires next to no food but then I also bike about 10 miles a day in very cold weather. There's various differences that must be balanced and adjusted -- based on the context of the practice. I love this magnetic bliss in my brain all the time -- BECAUSE of my energy exchanges with others but more importantly is that who I am is a deepening mystery -- who am I to practice SFQ? haha. I am not even worthy to be a student of qigong master Chunyi Lin -- in traditional China I would never to be able to be his student. Sitting in full-lotus BURNS KARMA so that's why I do it as much as possible.

The question of whether SFQ builds chi or smooths chi -- opening up channels -- is also a paradox. By going more into the emptiness we then build chi (electromagnetic energy) or shen (light energy) but emptiness is neither shen nor chi. So emptiness is the begining and end of the practice -- that's why we are all "born a healer." So when we go into emptiness we open up our channels which then CONVERTS our body from relying on food, and the lower emotions (fear, anger, lust, sadness, worry) into relying on love-light (electromagnetic-light or chi-shen energy). This process does not necessarily store or build up our internal chi as much as it DEEPENS OUR EMPTINESS awareness. The awareness is electromagnetic but the emptiness itself does not change - this is the paradox of "different levels of empty awareness" discussed by Master Nan, Huai-chi's books REALIZING ENLIGHTENMENT and WORKING TOWARDS ENLIGHTENMENT. Another way to look at this is that to build up our chi we have to not have our energy controlled by others (like male pervs who want to suck people off to create more sex fluid for themselves or if they can't do that people use anger or sadness projected as another way to suck up the chi energy: electromagnetic deconverted to electrochemical energy, the lower emotions) -- but who says we control our own energy? haha. The emptiness is what harmonizes the energy enabling the energy to build up and so the process of building up chi is also a process of transmitting chi at the same time. In other words for the chi to flow and for the chi to build up we have to go into the emptiness for the chi to manifest at all. It's a peaceful relaxation that occurs from the harmonization practice.

The process of not letting others control our energy means that others take the chi (electromagnetic) while we take in their extra energy blockages (electrochemical) and then using qigong we harmonize that extra energy of theirs, now in our bodies, thereby converting the electrochemical blockages back into electromagnetic bliss. In turn we harmonize the people who take our electromagnetic energy and have their blockages removed at the same time. So that healing process on its own will BUILD the chi for the healer because it's just a matter of relying more on the energy transformation and harmonization (the alchemy). This is easiest in full-lotus and if I'm riding my bike in the cold then I'm not doing the transformation as easily unless I do some serious biking qigong. haha. The same with food -- unless I avoid all sugar and even SALT -- then I will have energy blockages that I take on in excess to the blockages of other people wanting the built up electromagnetic energy. If I eat crappy food then the qigong will bring the crap up into my brain and make it manifest -- what would be repressed and subconscious for a normal person (say sugar, salt, too much acid) becomes projected out through the qigong and made obvious. Civilization is crap. haha.

To really "build up" the chi is actually dangerous -- the more a person goes into the emptiness the stronger the chi will be. I went 8 days on only half a glass of water (bigu) and I built up very strong electromagnetic fields which enabled me to clear out stronger blockages of myself and others. I also accidently pulled this old lady's spirit out of her head (without touching her) and she bawled for 15 minutes straight. Then my mom thought my energy build-up from fasting was a hallucination so she screamed at me so that I ate a bunch of food to make her happy. I still was able to heal my mom as well but civilization will crack down on you because building up chi enables serious healing and also exorcises the demons or spirit possession of modern materialistic people. The deeper awareness of emptiness means that the chi you build up will LEAVE YOUR BODY (spirit travel so that you have transcended death and you know experientially you are not your body nor your mind) -- it's called nirvakalpa samadhi or true emptiness and only happens after the body and mind is FILLED with electromagnetic fields. When Qigong master Jim Nance was training to learn this ability qigong master Chunyi Lin told Jim that Jim had to sit in full-lotus for two hours straight (no breaks) every night with no breaks -- for 3 months. That's just the minimum requirement to reach this true emptiness stage. Of course Chunyi Lin, if he's transmitting his energy into you, can help the process immensely. As Master Nan, Huai-chin details in the two books mentioned above ALMOST ALL MODERN MEDITATORS "fall back into worldliness" due to "heroic overexuberance" when the chi is being built up before true samadhi (or opening up the third eye fully). As we increase the emptiness awareness we also increase the temptation of being ATTACHED to the spiritual powers which arise (telepathy, telekinesis, precognition).

Wonderful stuff Drew. Do you recommend that I just go through the Level One Manual, or seek an outside guide? I know you used "Taoist Yoga." How do you preserve your Jing, Chi, Shen? Transmute them? Does it just come naturally with the practice?

Edited by Wu-Liu

See when you type something your REAL thoughts (subconscious) are imprinted as electromagnetic energy along with the actual data. It's very strange that I can also read and send energy online although the voice is much more effective, which is why Chunyi Lin does phone healings. Anyway so you can always call them up at http://springforestqigong.com for phone energy. So when I sit in full-lotus as I am now, I then register where your electromagnetic awareness is in your body because my own body processes the energy as a reflection (it takes the energy in and then transforms it).

So if a person is angry I feel that in my liver but they can just be standing 10 feet from me without saying anything -- a complete stranger. Or if they are sad but just look at me -- from across the street -- then I feel that in my lungs. At the same time that I feel it in my body the full-lotus also SHOOTS out the electromagnetic energy from my pineal gland back into the person who just shot out their subconscious electrochemical energy at me (anger, sadness, fear, worry, lust). So that's the difference between subconscious energy and superconscious energy. Through the practice and training you enjoy the energy transformations and learn by experience how to transform the energy -- the full-lotus does it for you, through the impersonal harmonics. So you just keep practicing just like you'd practice a music instrument.

Edited by drew hempel

See when you type something your REAL thoughts (subconscious) are imprinted as electromagnetic energy along with the actual data. It's very strange that I can also read and send energy online although the voice is much more effective, which is why Chunyi Lin does phone healings. Anyway so you can always call them up at http://springforestqigong.com for phone energy. So when I sit in full-lotus as I am now, I then register where your electromagnetic awareness is in your body because my own body processes the energy as a reflection (it takes the energy in and then transforms it).

So if a person is angry I feel that in my liver but they can just be standing 10 feet from me without saying anything -- a complete stranger. Or if they are sad but just look at me -- from across the street -- then I feel that in my lungs. At the same time that I feel it in my body the full-lotus also SHOOTS out the electromagnetic energy from my pineal gland back into the person who just shot out their subconscious electrochemical energy at me (anger, sadness, fear, worry, lust). So that's the difference between subconscious energy and superconscious energy. Through the practice and training you enjoy the energy transformations and learn by experience how to transform the energy -- the full-lotus does it for you, through the impersonal harmonics. So you just keep practicing just like you'd practice a music instrument.

Thanks for your input Drew. :D

Anyone who's practiced Spring Forest besides Drew? Anyone care to tell me which exercises are the ones which gather and transmute Jing, Chi, and Shen?