Mal

Mastering the Core Teachings of the Buddha

You going to publicly study this Mal? I love this book, have read it a few times now. I might join you.

Sean

Online version with links to .pdf's

Explains enlightenment processes / experiences / paths using Buddhist terminology.

http://web.mac.com/danielmingram/iWeb/Dani...he%20Blook.html

Ripped from the intro

TTB post about this book here http://www.thetaobums.com/Daniel-Ingram-t4935.html

I'm reading through it slowly, a very interesting book.

He attained Arhatship while he was doing a walking meditation. This is interesting due to Bill Bodri's stance of "sitting".

He also says this:

"The four postures for meditation that are mentioned in traditional Buddhist practice are those of sitting, walking, standing and reclining."

http://web.mac.com/danielmingram/iWeb/Dani...B637600C2C.html

Edited by lino

Just found this - downloaded pdf. It looks good and reads really well. If nothing else this guy can really write. I love this direct cut-the-crap style. Only read the first few section though.

I got my hands on this book while I was doing a "traditional" yoga teachers training.

You can imagine how it hit me, from the teachers I heard how many lives of dedicated practices and austerities you'd need (ok, some teachers were also having fun a lot) and all their legendary enlightened, perfected masters. And Ingram made enlightenment something believable. Can only recommend it. Anyone has read something that is similarly genuine? Maybe from another tradition?

It has been my favourite one since then, and I can say it's this one that started me on meditaiton practice.

Edited by Julius416

I might be down for the group study, when do you want to start?

I'm not a good "leader" so ... :mellow: ... err soon. When would everyone like to start. Feb could be good?

I've just blown up my laptop but D's ebook reader should be here in a few days. I've been printing a few pages out at the end of the day at work. But the printer goes really slow on double sided priniting and I don't like killing too many trees.

I'd work through this book again. A word of warning: in order to get anything out of it, you have to practice vipassana style meditation. He gives directions, but practice is essential for this type of book.

A word of warning: in order to get anything out of it, you have to practice vipassana style meditation. He gives directions, but practice is essential for this type of book.

Cheers, I've got enough practices on my plate currently, but I'm sure we will have plenty to "talk" about too. Hopefully we will have some "cross over" with everyones current practices.

Oops are we allowed to use "hope" at the moment :)

I'm glad to see this getting looked at - I just hope I can keep up with the reading and practice!

Seems pretty quiet, perhaps we should have a look at

Morality, The First and Last Training

And see if that spices things up a bit :D

I'm wondering if there's a certain practice to ensure we're being moral. For instance, making a list of 5 great things you did for someone everyday....or pinching yourself when you do something unkind? Anyone know of things like that?

I'm wondering if there's a certain practice to ensure we're being moral. For instance, making a list of 5 great things you did for someone everyday....or pinching yourself when you do something unkind? Anyone know of things like that?
Well there's the six paramitas, 'transcendent perfections', very Buddhist with universal applicability, outlined on this thread

http://www.thetaobums.com/index.php?showtopic=7726

Subsequently elaborated on in this post:

http://www.thetaobums.com/index.php?s=&amp...ost&p=96832

Edited because I quoted another member who didn't want to be quoted here.

Edited by Scotty

Ingram puts morality up front and center, where it should be. Not many teachers do that these days. The idea, in part, is that a moral foundation makes it easier to settle the mind and concentrate.

The five precepts are the best moral training course I have ever taken, because they are so simple.

Thanks Julius,

I like your teachers take on things.

Trying to do no harm is why I often tell people what they want to hear. And I can use the talking less idea too. I also find myself agreeing with people, to make them feel o.k., while what I'm actually agreeing to is not entirly the "right thing to do"

I would certainly benefit from talking less, not sure if I can smile much more though :D

Whatever we do in the ordinary world that we think will be of some benefit to others or

ourselves is an aspect of working on this first training (morality)

Thanks again