vbrett

Reform Taoist Congregation

I've been looking at the website for these guys at this site and I'm quite tempted to join them. Does anybody know anything about them?

I joined the Tao Bums just to answer this post - so I hope my reply's worth the effort! :)

I'm a member of the RTC. We're a growing group of nearly 300 philosophical Taoists who share similar viewpoints. By reading the sections on the website about our beliefs you'll get some idea, though on particular issues there is a wide range of opinion & nothing is set in stone.

The best option is to join us to see if we're what you're looking for - if we're not we won't hold it against you ;)

Thankyou woody for the answer. I've had a look at the website and I see that to join I have to give a statement saying why I want to join. I'm a bit worried about this because I'm new to taoism and I'm trying to find out more.

Thankyou woody for the answer. I've had a look at the website and I see that to join I have to give a statement saying why I want to join. I'm a bit worried about this because I'm new to taoism and I'm trying to find out more.

The RTC are very inclusive so don't worry about it :) . Most sites have some sort of membership verification system - including the Tao Bums - to avoid being invaded by automated spamming software and the RTC site is no different.

The advantage of giving a brief introduction is that if you're seeking something different to what we offer - say something more towards religious Taoism - it can be pointed out that the RTC site is not really what you're after and we might be able to direct you to a more appropriate site.

Hope you take the plunge - all the best - W

Edited by woody

The RTC are very inclusive so don't worry about it :) . Most sites have some sort of membership verification system - including the Tao Bums - to avoid being invaded by automated spamming software and the RTC site is no different.

The advantage of giving a brief introduction is that if you're seeking something different to what we offer - say something more towards religious Taoism - it can be pointed out that the RTC site is not really what you're after and we might be able to direct you to a more appropriate site.

Hope you take the plunge - all the best - W

Thanks for your help.

Thanks for your help.

Hi, I've been a member of the RTC for years. I love the people there. They have always been kind and thoughtful, however, notice the calendar, ritual section, posts of articles, etc.... they have been idle, with no change, for years. People join, but nothing seems to get done.

Hi, I've been a member of the RTC for years. I love the people there. They have always been kind and thoughtful, however, notice the calendar, ritual section, posts of articles, etc.... they have been idle, with no change, for years. People join, but nothing seems to get done.

It's true the progress does sometimes move at a geological pace :lol: but I'm a member for the community side of it and the different perspectives of members.

It is interesting to me to see these things forming in the west - generally from people who have had no contact with the Taoist Tradition as it is passed on in China.

In China, there is no real distinction of Tao practice, and often times in temples or with lay people, many have a different expression of what they "practice" to "express" Tao.

There is no concept of a Religious Tao and something seperate that is a Philosophical Tao......

There are generally thought to be different human activity we can take part in to get closer to Tao or to express Tao.

Music, calligraphy, chanting, ritual, meditation, etc......

Such activity can help us to contact with Tao and also to express Tao....

By my research, it seems the most ancient activity that took place - before there was an organized movement called Dao Jiao or Taoism - was the practice of meditation in a hermit tradition in the mountains of China....

Perhaps this is something people who wish to understand Tao should explore.........

By my research, it seems the most ancient activity that took place - before there was an organized movement called Dao Jiao or Taoism - was the practice of meditation in a hermit tradition in the mountains of China....

Perhaps this is something people who wish to understand Tao should explore.........

I believe that meditation is the most common practice among the RTC