yepper, reminded me of a couple good points. ya know, sometimes I'll have these internal diatribes and never post them because the stuff seems obvious, but in reality, good advice can be gleaned no matter if you're a beginner, a master, or anywhere in between - and often the very same good advice means different things at different point in one's cultivation. good stuff!

Scott,

Many outstanding insights there!!!

After reading that, I had a vision of you hosting a DIY TV show:

"Just drool into the cup, Cam. [scott looks up] So while Cam is doing his thing, why don't we see how they are making out in the standing meditation?"

:lol:

Your pal,

Yoda

Great article Scott thanks. It has helped with idea's and insights i am having with my own practice.

Thanks again

Jesse

Hey Rainbow Vein,

First of all, cool name.

I'm new to the tao bums. In my practice I'm beginning to notice some subtle, but deeper, shifts in body and mind. Increasingly, I am more aware of when I am unwittingly tense in parts of my body. During those times, I comprehend in a very physical/nervous system sense that I am tense because my mind is concerned about the past or future. When I'm rooted and relaxed in the present, I can only perfectly be who I am at the moment.

Awesome! I am dealing with the same issues of releasing unconscious holdings. Huge part of the path.

You also speak about "simultaneously falling and floating." I understand that to mean relaxing the torso/organs, while the energy rises in the spine, yes?

Well, the feeling will naturally happen when you're in a state of surrender. If you try to make it happen somehow, it won't happen.

But it's subtle, so maybe if you're looking for it, it'll be hard to find. It'd be better to just keep it in the back of your mind as a possibility, then maybe one day you'll find that the sensation is happening and remember the description. Simple practice reveals everything over time; effort hides it forever.

It's not a big deal to experience what I experience anyway. Your experiences are more important to you. ;)

P.S. Nice music via the myspace link.

Thanks.

Simple practice reveals everything over time; effort hides it forever.

*relaxed smiling sigh*

I loved reading this post/thread Scott.

So good in so many ways.

As joeblast had mentioned,

there is wisdom in the words that anyone can find.

No matter their experiences within their own practices.

This line is a jewel, too, like that.

Reading this thread left me with a contented smile

but none of these smilies do justice at expressing!

Stay well,

Shon

Thanks for taking the time to write and post this for us all!

Rainbow Vein,

Do you agree that part of the path of awareness is simply letting go of fear of the truth? Fear of seeing what's right in front of one?

Well, all I know is that I have tensions and releasing them is progress. I shouldn't talk about the end result, since I've had some great energetic experiences which make it seem like there's more to qigong than just confronting the present moment.

For instance, a couple of times I had the sensation of my head dissolving and disappearing. I'm not sure if it actually did, but it truly felt like it. A total dispersal and release of the physical...completely gone. So who knows what treasures are at the end of the rainbow...

I've never heard of Albert Ellis, but I'll take a look.

What you say about effort is good to remember. The times I've relaxed one part of my body only to realize another part has tensed up. Can I call that "over-relaxing?"

If you're lying on your back, then try to be aware of the ground cradling your body. This will help release more. I also like to incorporate "stretchlying" from the Gokhale method while I'm laying down and releasing.

If you're standing, make sure that everything's aligned, and be aware of the ground holding your weight. The principles for standing meditation in Kenneth Cohen's The Way of Qigong are key...it would take up too much room and time to go over them here, and you probably have the book already.

Just some ideas...but perhaps realizing that we can't do it ourselves is the biggest key.

*relaxed smiling sigh*

Glad you are liking it, Shon. :D

Edited by Scotty

Scott 2009 kicks ass! :D

Scott always kicked ass before, kicks ass right now, and, if the trends holds up, should kick ass for a long time in the future. :lol:

Just wondering, do you still practice Red Phoenix Scott? Or any of the other Kunlun derivative practices (golden flower, red sun, etc.)?

Hey man, thanks. I took a break from RP for a while. I'm starting to get back into it, but going very slowly and gently this time.

here is a part of an article I'd like to share:

source: http://www.meaningoflife.i12.com/taichi.htm

Advancing More Deeply into the Process

As one advances more deeply into qigong practice, and into the qigong state, significant physiological changes occur. Consumption of oxygen decreases. The lung's capacity to absorb oxygen greatly increases. So does the lung tissue's oxygen storage capacity. The white blood cell count goes up dramatically. Dr. Yan Xin writes that doing qigong "improves micro-circulation of the cerebrum and this cannot be obtained through any other kind of practice. The brain's deeply layered cerebral cells are enriched with sufficient blood by doing qigong" (Wozniak, Wu & Wang 1991: 43). This oxygen enrichment of the brain is an important key to many qigong effects. After practicing for several months, one who does qigong faithfully will begin to experience spontaneous physical movements. As the Chinese doctors like to say, "life has to move." Paradoxically, only when the mind becomes calm and serene does one's bioenergy becomes strong enough to produce spontaneous movements. The first appearance of spontaneous movements represents significant progress along the qigong learning curve. One cannot seek them out. They must come along spontaneously, in their own good time.

Advancement in qigong follows a natural course. One should strive to stay relaxed, calm and in good spirits. It is especially important to be and remain on good terms with family members. Some bad feelings, pains or excessive spontaneous movements are likely to occur. These may represent mental discord, pessimism or a lack of family support. Everyone will at times feel uncomfortable, upset, angry or depressed. Everyone will experience sorrow, unfair treatment or a guilty conscience. When these happen, try to overcome them with good works, internal resolve and a positive attitude (Wozniak, Wu & Wang 1991: 86).

Strong spontaneous movements may at first feel frightening, but those who have strong movements without internal discord have a great advantage. They will be able to achieve a stronger state of qi after guidance and instruction. Dr. Yan says: "... after one reaches a certain level in qigong, one depends heavily on virtue and good deeds to get more Qi and energy" (ibid.:79). After a lot of practice, one will begin to sense the activation of a small qi channel. This channel runs from the top of the head down the front of one's chest, between the legs, up the spine back to the top of the head. Activating one's qi will make a person feel "sore, numb, hurt, cold, cool, warm, hot, floating, sinking, big, small, dizzy, etc. (Wozniak, Wu & Wang 1991: 39). This is another major advance along the qigong learning curve. With sufficient practice, one may eventually become able to move one's qi at will anywhere inside the body. A person's own willpower can then effect miraculous cures. Once the flow of qi can reach the site of disease or illness, the cure can be astonishingly rapid.

I have Cohens book, but am not that fond of it, nor do I dislike it.

I like this article, it has something in it that I feel is important.

That is the relationship of the mind to the body in practice, and how the sphere of being can cause perceptible differences in subjective experience which may imply that our will affects reality itself.

Likewise important is that the mental state of a silent and physically inactive person can still affect others who are near them. This is a profound realization that I was once familiar with and have only just now been reminded of again after many years.

Thanks.