Jedi777

Mak_Tin_Si

I think it depends on which level you are at : At pre-heavenly level, you are free from the limitations of yin/yang , those strange symbols , locations, procedures, directions.... . At post- heavenly level you are always subject to them if they really exist plus you are having some bad karma.

However, the orthodox Taoist idea is : Those who always talk about superstitious things and ghosts are unlikely to be following the right way...the reason is just simple : a decent , righteous Tao practitioner, with a much stronger ,purer yang qi formed around him , is unlikely to always come across so much ghost and evil spirits ( all belong to the arena of yin qi ); on the contrary , impure mind attracts impure qi ( always yin ) ; as he is struggling to get rid of the interferences of those bad luck and evils, how can his practice advance ?

Edited by exorcist_1699

"Most of us are syncretic at heart. Discussion is encouraged to wander eclectically across a wide range of spiritual thought and practice, whether Buddhist, Yogic, Tantric, Judaic, Advaitic, Christian, Islamic, Shamanic, Occult, "New Age", Integral... As long as you are up for a good time, you're welcome to discuss your path."

This the quote from the opening page of this site. I think this is what Tao Bums is all about. If it was a narrow traditional Taoist site them it would not be the same or as interesting.

All traditions that have existed in history have evolved with time to reflect the changing social and cultural climate. Taoism and Buddhism and the various schools within them e.g. Zen emerged at a particular historical point as a result of the reinterpretation of ancient wisdom (which is essentially consistent through time). When Buddhism went from India to Tibet it changed in expression. The Tao Bums IMO is part of a melting pot of the assimilation of eastern ideas and practices into western culture. It may take several generations and some inspired teachers to formulate new schools of practice.

Mak's post remind us of a strand in Taoism which has a particular form and to that degree I find them helpful (even though there are a lot of them). But they don't really seem to enter into any debate and assert dogma as fact. If it was enough to use Talismans for every eventuality without any understanding, questioning and so on then everyone would do that - because it would be easy. I prefer to be brave, individualistic and empirical.

"Most of us are syncretic at heart. Discussion is encouraged to wander eclectically across a wide range of spiritual thought and practice, whether Buddhist, Yogic, Tantric, Judaic, Advaitic, Christian, Islamic, Shamanic, Occult, "New Age", Integral... As long as you are up for a good time, you're welcome to discuss your path."

This the quote from the opening page of this site. I think this is what Tao Bums is all about. If it was a narrow traditional Taoist site them it would not be the same or as interesting.

All traditions that have existed in history have evolved with time to reflect the changing social and cultural climate. Taoism and Buddhism and the various schools within them e.g. Zen emerged at a particular historical point as a result of the reinterpretation of ancient wisdom (which is essentially consistent through time). When Buddhism went from India to Tibet it changed in expression. The Tao Bums IMO is part of a melting pot of the assimilation of eastern ideas and practices into western culture. It may take several generations and some inspired teachers to formulate new schools of practice.

Mak's post remind us of a strand in Taoism which has a particular form and to that degree I find them helpful (even though there are a lot of them). But they don't really seem to enter into any debate and assert dogma as fact. If it was enough to use Talismans for every eventuality without any understanding, questioning and so on then everyone would do that - because it would be easy. I prefer to be brave, individualistic and empirical.

Bravo!!

:D

an observation on perspective vs. declaration; I am watching the birds at the feeders outside and watching Franny the cat watch the birds at the feeders outside.

Your input appreciated as well :). This site gets turbulent from time to time, but most of the people here, maybe all are peaceful philosophers at heart. They(we) just tend to scream at other peaceful philosophers who disagee with us. :lol:

Shalom and Salaam

Michael

Godwins Law - circa 1990

"As a Usenet discussion grows longer, the probability of a comparison involving Nazis or Hitler approaches one." :blink::mellow::unsure:

Thanks and thanks for the quote. :) Interesting that this phenomenon occurs so much that someone is noted and quoted for his observation of it. Perhaps its that we(humanity) can learn from what we have done. Aren't we human beings something to behold?! :o:)

For me the issue isn't about traditional versus modern eclectic. He can be as dogmatic as he wants. It's the lack of understanding about forum etiquette. He either doesn't understand or doesn't care or (most likely) doesn't care to understand. If he used his practice forum, he could post as many new topics every day as he wanted. And those that follow him could enjoy it.

Maybe I'm a little off-line here, but I thought about sharing something, maybe others felt the same too...

There was a constant subtle (sometimes very apparent) disrespect in his attitude towards all the folks here on the TTB.

I think what made us all react was not just his information about relligious taoism, which, by the way, sometimes was a little more interesting than the 5 o'clock news :lol: Like a window into a paralel universe...

Way to go there Sean... or was it Karma Police, or was it the dog poo he stepped on this morning... he is a proud man, and you made him lose face. I wonder if he'll have the strenght to come back...

Maybe I'm a little off-line here, but I thought about sharing something, maybe others felt the same too...

There was a constant subtle (sometimes very apparent) disrespect in his attitude towards all the folks here on the TTB.

It felt condescending and arrogant.

I know some of his ideas might seem very strange to some, but I think his heart is in the right place. As far as his received some enlightenment in front of the altar is concerned I wouldn't go around telling everybody. Some people with think your nuts. His name I believe is an honorific title. As far as a Korean scam is concerned I have never heard of such a thing. :)

Don't all strongly religious people give of that vibe to people on a different path?

I know some of his ideas might seem very strange to some, but I think his heart is in the right place.

Agreed, I hope he continues to share with us in an appropriate manner.

Don't all strongly religious people give of that vibe to people on a different path?

Agreed, I hope he continues to share with us in an appropriate manner.

Many of you should be lucky MTS is posting here at all. He is not hiding anything

and just providing information about the TAO. The chinese culture runs

deep and rarely is information given to westerners. I'm not saying other

cultures are not deep, but history has erased much of the other civilizations

knowledge. Really, all you have worth studying is the TAO.

Be grateful for his posts and information. Whether you choose to enroll

as a student of his is your choice, but let him write. I would agree to

minimum of 1 posts per day.

You, guys, I'm trying to get into contact with him and all I get is a Chinese answering machine and an invalid e-mil address. I've tried the PM's, but I don't think there working. :unsure:

Many of you should be lucky MTS is posting here at all. He is not hiding anything

and just providing information about the TAO. The chinese culture runs

deep and rarely is information given to westerners. I'm not saying other

cultures are not deep, but history has erased much of the other civilizations

knowledge. Really, all you have worth studying is the TAO.

Be grateful for his posts and information. Whether you choose to enroll

as a student of his is your choice, but let him write. I would agree to

minimum of 1 posts per day.

Nobody is denying him anything! He has his own personal practice folder that he can post to a hundred times a day of he wants to. Nobody is banning him. He has been asked numerous times to simply put his multiple daily posts into a few folders instead single new topics. He can still be #1 poster if he wants, We are simply asking him to MAKE AN EFFORT to understand how to best use this forum. We are not asking anything from him that is not expected of anyone else. If he is going to run away from this forum and disappear simply because he has been asked to behave in a cooperative fashion, then that speaks volumes about his taoism.

I, for one, find this all rather disturbing. All the pontificating and chest thumping that goes on around here about people being open-minded and such is proven by threads like these to be bullshit. If he was making massive amounts of posts about a topic that people didn't disagree with so much, like kunlun or qigong, nothing would be being said. Instead, in numerous threads on this forum, people have repeatedly insulted the man and his beliefs; and in many cases been cheered on by long time members. This site very much bills itself as a barely contained free for all. I know that at certain points, I took advantage of that myself, and was overly rude in some posts I made. What I have seen though, is that the more I try to not be like that in my speech, the more I have noticed the venom and animosity in others posts.

I, for one, find this all rather disturbing. All the pontificating and chest thumping that goes on around here about people being open-minded and such is proven by threads like these to be bullshit. If he was making massive amounts of posts about a topic that people didn't disagree with so much, like kunlun or qigong, nothing would be being said. Instead, in numerous threads on this forum, people have repeatedly insulted the man and his beliefs; and in many cases been cheered on by long time members. This site very much bills itself as a barely contained free for all. I know that at certain points, I took advantage of that myself, and was overly rude in some posts I made. What I have seen though, is that the more I try to not be like that in my speech, the more I have noticed the venom and animosity in others posts.

:blink:

I see no pontificating or chest thumping anywhere, where are you seeing this?

It's really simple. No one has ever made as many new topics in such a short period of time as this guy has, ever. And Kunlun threads, which at their peak represented maybe a quarter of Mak_Tin_Si's topics and never all from the same member and never all on the same day, frequently caused people to get get even more disgruntled than this. I think everyone is being pretty respectful considering someone is essentially spamming the forum, useful or not useful content aside, and even after being asked to stop.

Sean

Edited by sean

I see no pontificating or chest thumping anywhere, where are you seeing this?

It's really simple. No one has ever made as many new topics in such a short period of time as this guy has, ever. And Kunlun threads, which at their peak represented maybe a quarter of Mak_Tin_Si's topics and never all from the same member and never all on the same day, frequently caused people to get get even more disgruntled than this. I think everyone is being pretty respectful considering someone is essentially spamming the forum, useful or not useful content aside, and even after being asked to stop.

I don't care if the guy is Laozi, he needs to respect the flow of the community.

Sean

votesean.jpg

:D

I like Mak Tin Si, we may differ on a few points of approach but I have genuinely been interested in alot of what he is offering. Now that rodgerj has consolidated Mak Tin Si's contributions into his own Personal Practice section I believe a wonderful balance will be found and the true gift of Mak Tin Si's sharing will emerge.

Yes, I saw that Mak now has his own section so I hope everyone who wanted him there will fricking go there too and help make him feel like he wasn't kicked out.

Yes, I saw that Mak now has his own section so I hope everyone who wanted him there will fricking go there too and help make him feel like he wasn't kicked out.

Heh, you're right... there, I went there and just did that. I feel better now...

:)

never really minded his post myself it was just the quantity of them all was kind of...offsetting? i don't know the proper adjective for the feeling. but it was through those posts i was forced to rethink my own beliefs, so i respect the man and wonder what he thinks of this whole thing. i mean i haven't seen him post in here yet so it makes even more curious of his opinion since most...westerners, i guess, would have thrown a lot of hate posts throughout this one. which of course is offsetting to me as well since its what i'm used to. anyways, i want to here him say something about this.

I would like to have seen Mak focus more on this (quoting him from a different post):

"FU can let you master all the energys in nature through out trianings and also lead you to realization of tao. It also help you or lead you to realization of different dimensions that exsist such as the one of immortals and gods, which you can never proof with any science tools or your bare eye. It can also allwo you to experience karma and many other laws of nature."

But he didn't even bring this out until he was challenged.

He seems more interested in spreading the every day FU, which is little more than superstition.

To go around thinking that if I accidently step in dog poo I will need some Daoist master to send me some FU is willing enslavement.

But all religions require the acceptance of some beliefs. That is why I cannot belong to any religion.

I would like to see a study done on Mak's group he services. Are they healthier, happier, have fewer problems, fewer accidents, etc than other similiar populations?

Is there a religious studies major or sociology major out there needing a thesis topic :lol:

Who ya gonna call?

FU BUSTERS

It would probably help if you could make the personal practice section like the other forums, where the most recent topic comes to the top.

It would probably help if you could make the personal practice section like the other forums, where the most recent topic comes to the top.

Yes, that is true. I'm pretty new here and the only reason I went over in that area was for Mak's post. Sorry I don't mean to offend any of you all.

"Teopekees",

I've got an idea. Why don'y YOU tell us exactly what the Hebrew words mean on your avatar section.

And I don't mean looking in a Hebrew grammar either, but you just tell us what they mean in ARKANSAN.

Your on.......let's hear your wisdom.

g