Jedi777

Mak_Tin_Si

Please give Mak_Tin_Si his own place to post

Lets vote on it---you are posting way to much--how about combining them or have a place just for you. If people want to read them then they can click in and read all day!

Peace

Lets vote on it---you are posting way to much--how about combining them or have a place just for you. If people want to read them then they can click in and read all day!

Peace

He already has his own place...Here. He just chooses to post in the main Taoist discussion forum.

More and more I think there should be a religious Taoist forum for posts such as his.

As an aside. Something I have been thinking lately is about staying out of conflict. For a Taoist, MTS sure seems to put himself at odds with things, at least as far as these forums/members of these forums are concerned. I don't understand why a Taoist, religious or otherwise, would want to put themselves at the center of such storms. Maybe that is something else that is different about religious Taoism that I just don't understand because of my reduced learnings?!

Peace

It's useless. A lot of people allready had told him the same thing for a few weeks now and nothing happened.

Seems like Mak_Tin_Si belongs to a taoist branch where they totally lack modesty and common sense and their only goal is to spread their dogma even if that means dissrespecting everybody else who has a different point of view.

He has been offered / suggested many times to post in a separate thread and to keep things simple - like you would think a taoist representative would normally do, but I guess that is not the case

I am starting to think that there's no difference between taoists and Jehovah's witnesses with the exception of their fancy little hats that stores incredible amounts of energy.

I am starting to think that there's no difference between taoists and Jehovah's witnesses with the exception of their fancy little hats that stores incredible amounts of energy.

Do Jehowa's witnesses have a problem with dog crap too ?

:P

If I was running the forum, BTW, I would have banned him already.

YM

Do Jehowa's witnesses have a problem with dog crap too ?

:P

lol

i don't think so...

they will try to knock on the front door no matter what....

lol

i don't think so...

they will try to knock on the front door no matter what....

Just come out naked with a big hard on and tell them you are conversing with Jesus.

Just come out naked with a big hard on and tell them you are conversing with Jesus.

that could work or it could go horribly horribly wrong.... lol

Peace

I posted a poll on it. I'll bump it up to see what the current status is.

isn't this site provided to be a place where we can discuss(which does not mean agree) and share. Ban someone who is sharing his knowledge? Should I start looking over my shoulder for nazis'?

isn't this site provided to be a place where we can discuss(which does not mean agree) and share. Ban someone who is sharing his knowledge? Should I start looking over my shoulder for nazis'?

its called respect he is not showing it--

It's useless. A lot of people allready had told him the same thing for a few weeks now and nothing happened.

Seems like Mak_Tin_Si belongs to a taoist branch where they totally lack modesty and common sense and their only goal is to spread their dogma even if that means dissrespecting everybody else who has a different point of view.

He has been offered / suggested many times to post in a separate thread and to keep things simple - like you would think a taoist representative would normally do, but I guess that is not the case

He doesn't represent the majority of religious taoists. I encourage everyone to look at his lineage history on his site and come up with your own conclusion about him. I wish the moderators would make a SERIOUS effort (if they haven't already) to PM him and try to explain to him how to use the personal folder he has already been given and help him understand that the public discussion forum does not revolve exclusively around him...

Edited by fiveelementtao

Hey, it perfectly explains my subway trip to work everyday. It's not so crowded where I'm standing. :)

Glad to have you here (being nice :) ), but (being less) I (in conversational tone) find the rhetorical use of nazi comparisons when someone disagrees with you to be a nasty habit and the sign of weak argument. There may be uses for it when discussing mass murder, but using it in lesser disagreements is verbal bullying. Raising the stakes, so disagreement with your point is nazism.

My 2 cents :o

Michael

Glad to have you here (being nice :) ), but (being less) I (in conversational tone) find the rhetorical use of nazi comparisons when someone disagrees with you to be a nasty habit and the sign of weak argument. There may be uses for it when discussing mass murder, but using it in lesser disagreements is verbal bullying. Raising the stakes, so disagreement with your point is nazism.

Michael

thanks but no one disagreed with me;i was responding to the tone of several posts and wondering who is next;it doesnt start with mass murder but character assassination has already taken place on this open free site(esp. on another thread). input appreciated. Shalom

Michael

I believe we are dealing with an illustration of the workings of the Godwin's Law in this case... just one example of how mercilessly we are ruled by natural laws unknown to us when we think we are exercising free will.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Godwin's_Law

Peace

He already has his own place...Here. He just chooses to post (numerous individual threads) in the main Taoist discussion forum (every day).

Seriously... is there a moderator monitoring this situation that can explain to Mak how to use ONE thread instead of having to post multiple unsolicited threads each day?

Edited by fiveelementtao

thanks but no one disagreed with me;i was responding to the tone of several posts and wondering who is next;it doesnt start with mass murder but character assassination has already taken place on this open free site(esp. on another thread). input appreciated. Shalom

Your input appreciated as well :). This site gets turbulent from time to time, but most of the people here, maybe all are peaceful philosophers at heart. They(we) just tend to scream at other peaceful philosophers who disagee with us. :lol:

Shalom and Salaam

Michael

Godwins Law - circa 1990

"As a Usenet discussion grows longer, the probability of a comparison involving Nazis or Hitler approaches one." :blink::mellow::unsure:

He's like a festering sore, the more you pick at it the worse it gets. He OVER POSTS TOPICS. He needs to post on the personal practice section.

Seriously... is there a moderator monitoring this situation that can explain to Mak how to use ONE thread instead of having to post multiple unsolicited threads each day?

No there isn't.

I think Tao Bums is so popular because of almost no moderation and all things Taoist are lumped together in one category and it makes it seem really busy and energetic, and posters need that energy.

It becomes a problem when there are so many new posts each day that it is difficult to find and follow ones you are interested in. All the old ideas get lost in the past so fast it's kind of disappointing and I can feel how others are feeling this.

I want to take this opportunity to invite you all to my forum, Empirical Taoism, which has it's beautiful design thanks to Taomeow and is organized by myself. It's a quiet place I think many of you have checked out before, very quiet there lately, but it does have easy to find threads in different categories. I'm no longer 'trying' to make it a success and don't care about it but there is some good information on my special type of nei kung in it. If you people want to take some 'overflow' there then you are welcome to it. people could check back and forth and use both forums, or whatever. Anyway I won't get that involved myself but there is moderation of sorts. I'll just post a link to the Empirical Taoism forum in my signature line for awhile.

Edited by Starjumper7

I for one have been giving Mak a hard time. Although I disagree with a lot of what he says, and he definitely has a different stance of what Taoism is (classical), I think there's a lot I can learn if I listen a little more. So Mak, I offer you an apology and one more set of ears.

I thought the personal practice area would help, guess not.

I've asked Mak_Tin_Si to please start only one new topic per week maximum. Please let me know if you see otherwise.

Thanks,

Sean

I'm learning a greater lesson here in real time.

Is our Taobums posing a threat to traditional Taoism by our eclectic, watered down, and purged of ritual tradions of traditional Taoism. If so, and we are the disease, and Mak Tin Si is the cure? Until we change the forum name to multi-denominational cultivation bums, we can always be trumped by Mak's superior depth of knowlege and training, even though he only represents one medic, more folk oriented lineage. Have you realized yet that Mak's apparent insensitivity to the norms of the forum is actually a deliberate shepherding manouevre?

In deference to Western sensibilities, we tend in this forum to not go too far into the particulars of each tradition or faced getting shot down in the thread. I remember a thread where someone mentioned Allah, and was duely attacked verbally. When I hear Tibetan buddhists in youtube start talking about all their Yidams and statues, my attention starts to fade, and I start thinking about the Zen people getting it right by purging all that.

I lived in Taiwan for about 8 years, (lucky number, 发!)and got subject to webs of social norms based on what is deemed lucky. I didnt realize until Mak that there was a Taoist basis to many of these superstitions. If Mak is right, then Chinese people should be much luckier than those who do not have Taoism built into their society, and I'm not sure that could be proven.

I do know that burning incense to your ancestors and lineage fathers is really communicating to them, I dont know why burning sticks and waving them a few times before putting them in a pot works, but it seems to be the case. I would need to know the energetic explaination to really be able to get my head around it. The standard acceptable Western explaination is that its the thought and intention that is the only force in play, but there's more to it than that, I just don't know what it is. You just have to go prove it to yourself if you dont believe it.

Some thoughts.

Edited by de_paradise

I know little about Taoist history. Actually, people who claim they have substantial knowledge of Taoism evokes my suspicion.

What this debate actually proves is one of my own basic realizations when it comes down to cultivation of a system not originally from your own culture.

All spiritual traditions tend to get merged and affected by the cultural, societal and historical atmosphere of the place where it is practiced. So also for a very adaptive philosophies that we may deem "Taoist".

What we are witnessing on this forum is how different aspects of taoist practice and theory, blended with many other traditions takes on an informational, energetic and intellectual properties of it's practitioners and the context it is practiced in.

When Mak Tin Si tries to launch an "original" or "authentic" religious taoism on this board, this situation becomes very clear and acute; You cannot be dogmatic about your own perspective or lineage when entering into another cultural atmonsphere, as the core teachings of your tradition get rejected also. I am saying this with all due respect to the religious Taoists out there.

So what does this teach us about the core of taoist practice, and about the the Tao?

The practice done by the members done on this board are adapted to a contemporary reality. True lineage, and practice is thus adaptive and flexible. Like water.

The Tao, or whatever we call it seeps through any cultural or conceptual web. It is nameless, flavorless, silent, and by all means not designated to be contained by any "taoist" lineage.

This website proves where taoist and other spiritual practice can blossom in the 9-5, latte-drinking, urban world. And it is flourishing.

Thanks Sean for making it happen.

h