Sign in to follow this  
Long Yun

Breath Technique

Hi all,

I was given the Spring Forest Qigong Level One manual for Christmas, and it shows a breathing technique that feels unusual for me. For years I've practiced what I thought was the correct method of abdominal breathing, that is allowing the stomach to rise on inhaling and fall on exhaling. I'm quite comfortable with it since I've done it for years. But SFQ shows the exact opposite, that is pulling the stomach in slightly on inhaling and allowing it to flatten back out on exhaling. I'm doing it as subtly as I can, but it feels like I'm storing tension in my chest and shoulders.

What do you guys think? Rise on inhaling? Or pull in on inhaling?

Hi all,

I was given the Spring Forest Qigong Level One manual for Christmas, and it shows a breathing technique that feels unusual for me. For years I've practiced what I thought was the correct method of abdominal breathing, that is allowing the stomach to rise on inhaling and fall on exhaling. I'm quite comfortable with it since I've done it for years. But SFQ shows the exact opposite, that is pulling the stomach in slightly on inhaling and allowing it to flatten back out on exhaling. I'm doing it as subtly as I can, but it feels like I'm storing tension in my chest and shoulders.

Sounds like they are teaching "Reverse Breathing".

My advice would be to take it easy.

Also you should continue to work on basic abdominal breathing as you have described. If you can breath long, slow, deep and even breath so that you can barely or not at all hear your breath this is a good start. It is important to have this level of relaxation and will help you explore the "reverse breathing" without the forced tightness in the chest feeling. This abdominal breathing should be done in a continual cycle of in/out without pause but long, slow, deep and even. This is from the school I study, but is fairly common if not universal.

Reverse breathing can be a potent technique, and it can easily lead to tensions which can become problems. Always take it easy and find deeper levels of relaxation. I also do reverse breathing within certain practices so don't take this comment as being against the technique.

That said, please understand that I have no knowledge or experience of SFQigong, but do have quite a bit of experience in other systems. I am only making a generalization about the breath technique mentioned. Do persevere and explore the SFQigong, I have heard a lot of good things said about it here.

Craig

Hi all,

whole lower belly rises at abdominal breathing during inhaling - diaphragm presses lower belly on inhaling to rise.

Edited by Riyue

Ok, Spring Forest guys (I think there are at least a couple on here)

The manual says that the purpose for pulling in on inhaling is to allow Yin and Yang to meet in the chest. It goes on to say that upon releasing the breath and exhaling, Yin and Yang join together in the belly (lower dantian).

Should I be breathing this way all the time, or should I be breathing this way only during these certain exercises while breathing my way the rest of the time? It's not uncomfortable to do it like the manual says, just different than what I'm used to.

Guest sykkelpump

Ok, Spring Forest guys (I think there are at least a couple on here)

The manual says that the purpose for pulling in on inhaling is to allow Yin and Yang to meet in the chest. It goes on to say that upon releasing the breath and exhaling, Yin and Yang join together in the belly (lower dantian).

Should I be breathing this way all the time, or should I be breathing this way only during these certain exercises while breathing my way the rest of the time? It's not uncomfortable to do it like the manual says, just different than what I'm used to.

I only do reverse breathing,when I breath energy in through the skin of the whole body.I think you should breath naturally when you do the movements.And focus on doing the movements slow and relaxed.relax your mind too.Dont thighten it,if you understand what I mean.The Active exersises are the key imo.Focus most on them in the beginning

I only do reverse breathing,when I breath energy in through the skin of the whole body.I think you should breath naturally when you do the movements.And focus on doing the movements slow and relaxed.relax your mind too.Dont thighten it,if you understand what I mean.The Active exersises are the key imo.Focus most on them in the beginning

Thanks for the advice. I think what I'll do is continue breathing my way throughout my day, but do it according to the manual during meditation and qigong. In any case, if I get uncomfortable, I'll just stick with what I know. :D

Thanks for the advice. I think what I'll do is continue breathing my way throughout my day, but do it according to the manual during meditation and qigong. In any case, if I get uncomfortable, I'll just stick with what I know. :D

My teacher said always:

breathe intuitively-

will say: breathing adapts itself to necessities... one should never force it to something else...

The best way is paying attention to nothing in meditation . Maybe you claim paying attention to breathing is a way of concentrating your mind ? However, the truth is : on one hand you seem concentrate your mind, on the other hand, you already started to be entangled by another thing .

Edited by exorcist_1699

Sign in to follow this