Sign in to follow this  
picnic

For those it has passed by.. "Hua Hu Ching"

This passed me by for years. Years of reading Tao books and it just appeared in front of me in a book shop, so now I reveal it to you if it has also passed you by.

Hua Hu Ching read here

It begins...

"I reach the Integral Way of uniting with the great and mysterious Tao.

My teachings are simple; if you try to make a religion or science of them, they will elude you. Profound yet plain, they contain the entire truth of the universe.

Those who wish to know the whole truth take joy in doing the work and service that comes to them. Having completed it, they take joy in cleansing and feeding themselves. Having cared for others and for themselves, they then turn to the master for instruction.

This simple path leads to peace, virtue, and abundance."

Enjoy! :D

Dear Picnic,

I liked Brian Browne Walker's 'Tao Te Ching' so much that I wrote a review for it at Amazon.com

But Brian Browne Walker, if you'll pardon the expression, ripped this off from Hua Ching Ni.

Also his (Walker's) I Ching is translated very poorly from the Chinese, so much so, that it's really unusable.

While I don't speak or write any Chinese dialects, a gentleman over at Nina's 'Dao is Open' forum does, and he's an expert in the Yi Jing (I Ching), and it was he who told me this.

So, I'd take it to the bank, so speak.

Just a heads up. :unsure:

Peace, gossamer

This passed me by for years. Years of reading Tao books and it just appeared in front of me in a book shop, so now I reveal it to you if it has also passed you by.

Hua Hu Ching read here

It begins...

My teachings are simple; if you try to make a religion or science of them, they will elude you. Profound yet plain, they contain the entire truth of the universe.

Those who wish to know the whole truth take joy in doing the work and service that comes to them. Having completed it, they take joy in cleansing and feeding themselves. Having cared for others and for themselves, they then turn to the master for instruction.

Enjoy! :D

Edited by gossamer

Hua Hu Ching read here

It begins...

I love the Hua Hu Ching. I try to read a chapter a day. Excellent little book, lives beside my bed.

Possibly the BEST Taoist book :o !!!!

Thank you very much for the link

Do you imagine the universe is agitated? Go into the desert at night and took out at the stars. This practice should answer the question.

I confess that there is nothing to teach: no religion, no science, no body of information which will lead your mind back to the Tao. Today I speak in this fashion, tomorrow in another, but always the Integral Way is beyond words and beyond mind. Simply be aware of the oneness of things.

But Brian Browne Walker, if you'll pardon the expression, ripped this off from Hua Ching Ni.

Yes :D he said so in the intro

I am permanently indebted to Master Hua Ching Ni for sharing his version of these teachings... My work is largely based upon his teaching.

B)

Also his (Walker's) I Ching is translated very poorly from the Chinese, so much so, that it's really unusable.

While I don't speak or write any Chinese dialects, a gentleman over at Nina's 'Dao is Open' forum does, and he's an expert in the Yi Jing (I Ching), and it was he who told me this.

Hi gossamer.

What Yijing translations do you/your "Dao is Open" friend reccomend?

Thanks,

Tyler

I love the Hua Hu Ching. I try to read a chapter a day. Excellent little book, lives beside my bed.

Possibly the BEST Taoist book :o !!!!

Thank you very much for the link

I am permanently indebted to Master Hua Ching Ni for sharing his version of these teachings... My work is largely based upon his teaching.

B)

Mmmm :)

Do love this book.

Had it long before any copy of the "Tao Te Ching".

It climbed trees with me

and was fished out of the oceans,

battered and tattered into an unreadable state.

Finely lost to the _ods of the Woods

someplace along the Way.

I've since gotten another copy

and it's been better preserved ... so far?

I love the simplistic artwork in it.

The pictures calm well this frazzled soul!

:D

Do Like this book.

but I also believe that all great works are "ripped off"

or should be!

What better sign of Greatness?

How else could these works live on.

some might like to disagree about that

but they may need to learn to sing folk songs? LOL!

Peace

Shonton Ga

... it makes me happy, hence the colored writing!

:blink: care to explain where you got this conclusion??

Hi Anabhogya-Carya I know I sent you a web copy of the book by PM so you perhaps haven't read the forward to the book..

it is mentioned in the forward to the book that Emperors asked leaders of Taoism, Buddhism (and i guess Confucianism) to "fight it out" to win the favour of the emperor to become the main advisers. It says in the intro that Taoists used the Hua Hu Ching to display that Buddhism was, at best, just an aspect of the Tao.

:)

---

To you all..

It is a lovely book, i'm glad so many of you have found it and hope that it gains more attention from those who have not found it yet.

Please Please advise me of any other classics I may have missed along the way. I am quite shocked it took so long for the Hua Hu Ching to reveal it self to me, but so glad it has made itself present in my life.

Edited by picnic

I still don't get how Taoism made it into India and Nepal.

I still would like to know how it was incorporated into Hinduism, and later into Buddhism.

Hi Anabhogya-Carya I know I sent you a web copy of the book by PM so you perhaps haven't read the forward to the book..

it is mentioned in the forward to the book that Emperors asked leaders of Taoism, Buddhism (and i guess Confucianism) to "fight it out" to win the favour of the emperor to become the main advisers. It says in the intro that Taoists used the Hua Hu Ching to display that Buddhism was, at best, just an aspect of the Tao.

:)

---

To you all..

It is a lovely book, i'm glad so many of you have found it and hope that it gains more attention from those who have not found it yet.

Please Please advise me of any other classics I may have missed along the way. I am quite shocked it took so long for the Hua Hu Ching to reveal it self to me, but so glad it has made itself present in my life.

I still don't get how Taoism made it into India and Nepal.

I still would like to know how it was incorporated into Hinduism, and later into Buddhism.

I'm no historian, I'm interested in others views that have info here, but I would say that Tao pre-dates china and india.

The Hindus also say that buddhism is an offshoot of hiduism so the Buddhists are probably used to it by now and surely they just laugh :) After all this is something outside of words that is being passed down, the names, as we know, are just names ;) (see I just "stole" from the TTC to make my point he he he

here is a little story about that, and the elegant simplicity of Tao.

Cucumber Sage

Once a monk approached Wu-ming and asked in all earnestness, "In the whole universe, what is it that is most wonderful?" Without hesitation Wu-ming stuck a cucumber before the monks face and exclaimed, "There is nothing more wonderful than this!" At that the monk crashed through the dualism of subject and object, "The whole universe is pickled cucumber; a pickled cucumber is the whole universe!" Wu-ming simply chuckled and said, "Stop talking nonsense. A cucumber is a cucumber; the whole universe is the whole universe. What could be more obvious?" The monk, penetrating the perfect phenomenal manifestation of Absolute Truth, clapped his hands and laughed, saying, "Throughout infinite space, everything is deliciously sour!"

Great! thanks :D

Yes, but Mak Tin Si said that "Taoism gave birth to Buddhism." Either he said it wrong, or what he is saying is wrong.

Here's his Yi Jing (I Ching):

http://www.hermetica.info/

Here's what he said:

It's not in print yet. I'm working on that though.

It will be two volumes, about $35 each, postpaid,

and almost 1100 pages long. Volume One is in line

for typesetting now.

My main copy just lives in a desktop fils as a

collection of pdf's that I open as needed and

read onscreen in Acrobat. I'm getting used to it.

Some folks just aren't used to paperless, some

never will be, so I am working on publishing.

Meanwhile, try the pdf onscreen if you can stand it.

Here's a few more really good translations of the I Ching:

'The Everyday I Ching', by Sarah Denig.

'The I Ching, or Book of Changes' by Richard Wilhelm, and Cary F. Baynes.

I Ching, The Classic Chinese Oracle of Change (The First Complete Translation With Concordance):

Translated by Rudolf Ritsema, and Stephen Karcher.

And lastly, 'The Complete I Ching: The Definitive Translation by the Taoist Master Alfred Huang.

I have some trouble with Huang's translation from time-to-time, sometimes, it'll be easy to understand, other times he gets me "lost" (or my lack of understanding....gets me lost!).

And a great British I Ching forum:

http://www.onlineclarity.co.uk/?a_aid=22b99d7c

Peace, gossamer

This scripture is the one that told you about how taoism is what give birth to buddism.

Yes, but Mak Tin Si said that "Taoism gave birth to Buddhism." Either he said it wrong, or what he is saying is wrong.

lets answer stuff by quoting scripture :D

was going to quote 2 but

Thirty-Eight

Why scurry about looking for the truth?

works better B)

Quite possible, I don't know.

@Gossamer, are they all I-Ching links or did I miss a Hua Hu Ching link somewhere?

No, someone asked in this thread about the I Ching.

Brian Browne Walker copied his version of Hua Hu Ching, from Hua Ching Ni.

Copied is the 'polite' word (because I like Walker a lot).

Sorry for the confusion.

Peace, gossamer

Quite possible, I don't know.

@Gossamer, are they all I-Ching links or did I miss a Hua Hu Ching link somewhere?

Brian Browne Walker copied his version of Hua Hu Ching, from Hua Ching Ni.

This is the only other Hua Hu Ching I know of

http://www.amazon.com/Complete-Works-Lao-T...9907&sr=8-1

but have not read it

Are there more?

Well I have trawled the depths off Yahoogle and not found any more free ones yet. The one you found at Amazon looks to be amongst the most common of book form along with the printed version of the one I posted by Walker.

If I find another free copy I will be sure to post it as it is nice to have different versions of texts to compare and contrast.

Sign in to follow this